Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: the unsuccessful, yet successful hunt

Boolit Buddy

the unsuccessful, yet successful hunt

On the 4th of November I went out for a hunt. I found a nice spot about 50 yards down wind from the feeder and had a seat. About 20 minutes after the corn dispenser threw its corn, a young doe stepped out to my right about 30 yards away. My heart is racing this is great, then about 25 yard a mature does steps out and looking right at me. I sat as still as I could. The mature doe was looking at me bobbing it head up and down and left to right, I wonder if she knew I did not belong there. Mean while young doe is at the feeder crunching corn. the mature doe slowly moved from my right towards my left all the will keeping an eye on me. I was surprised as mature doe got to my left she did not wind me as soon as she got to my left. The mature doe stayed to my left for about 2 minutes. She must of caught on to something because she took off, taking the younger doe with her. I am grateful I got to watch them for about 7 minute. I think the mature was keeping watch while the young doe ate.

Boolit Master

Any time spent watching deer on a hunting field is food for the soul. Heck, I set in one of mine during a sunny day "unarmed" just to relax and watch the show.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoothouse_172022.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	319668
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

My definition of a successful hunt is everybody got home, nobody got hurt, and there was no major vehicle damage. To actually bag something makes it a wildly successful hunt.

Cue "the Second Week of Deer Camp" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSEBVUxwB9k
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

This silly youngster walked within twenty feet of me and my cigar as I set in the blind. I even aimed my .45 auto at it for grins- he didn’t notice….
    I said “Come back next year!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a fun hunt. Plus, you can do that over and over.

I've learned that once a deer hits the ground, the fun is sort of over for awhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely! Some of my best stories from hunting include the ones I missed or didn't shoot at.....and yes, one is a bow hunt that highlights the reality of aim big, miss big, aim small miss small!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Opening morning had a 8/10 pointer run by my seat; went by so fast then stopped in heavy timber; saw him again at about 400 yds as he continued walking away; hope he makes some nice baby's ???

Moderator Emeritus

I was sitting with my back against a tree watching the creek bottom below me. I had a rabbit nibble at my boot and pretty soon a doe saw it, got curious, and came up to take a look... literally within petting reach! I sat very still and never moved... had 6 more does go by 30 yards away down by the creek but alas, no bucks came by, not even behind me. I had a mirror sitting in the leaves pointed behind me so I could keep an eye back there.

For some reason wild animals have always trusted me... have had many eat from my hands...

I really enjoy being still enough to just be a part of the forest!

Boolit Master
    I was able to do that before I got cancer, now critters won't come any ware near me ??

Your hunt was intimately successful! I enjoy watching from my stands. Once you take the shot, you're committed to a few hours of processing. Not really work, still enjoyable to me, but a commitment of time.
    PS- A few years ago I had a 4x4 walk within 5' behind me while I was seated on the ground. I was too flabbergasted to attempt turning and taking a shot! What a rush!

In my youth I judged the success if my outings by my harvest. Hunting small game, large game, mushrooms or fishing.

Later it occurred to me that the work starts once you've made a harvest.

Now I don't get the opportunity to get out nearly as often as I once did. But I enjoy the time much more and the harvest doesn't figure into it at all.

I guess old age does that to you.

I guess I'm restating what's already been said.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I'm down with the idea that the work starts when the harvest is made, but the fun begins again at dinners!

Boolit Master

I will be out cleaning out my blind later today MY deer season starts November 15th . I will be sitting out there with the 30-06 I bought in 1973 when I was 16 years old . I upgraded the Redfield 2-7X 32 mm wide view scope last month with a Leopold 3.5010X 50 mm scope. The scope USED cost more then then My rifle new as it was $250 for a Remington model 700 ADL , leather shooting sling , see through scope mounts , Redfield 2-7 X wide view scope, and a fiberglass hard case. Of coarse if I consider what a dollar is worth today the scope is less I do not even know when 50 mm scopes started being available at an affordable price !
    Sometimes I also sit in the blind just taking it easy I will often take a rifle for coyotes even though none have been that dumb -yet !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

One of my most memorable hunting trips was the time I sat in the mixed forest of the Sierra Nevada foothills, watching a mule deer migration trail. A light snow fell while I watched doe after doe following the trail. I wouldn't have given up that day for anything.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free