Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Alternative to the 30 Badger / 30 Reece

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    on that adapter, do you need to take it out of the barrel for cleaning? ANd if you remove the adapter, how exactly do you ensure that the adapter goes back into the barrel in a way that will leave the poi/poa the same?
    You don't HAVE to, but you probably should remove it and clean the shotgun barrel as well as the rifle barrel. I have noticed it does have some carbon build up on the shotgun barrel just past the end of the rifled insert when shooting lighter loads that might not have the greatest efficiency in burning up all the powder (such as my 90gr bullet over 4gr of Unique load). But unless you plan on using the shotgun barrel, which I am not really interested in, I wouldn't normally clean that part every time. I don't even own any 20ga ammo, just 12ga and 16ga in this house.

As for indexing, see that last photo I posted showing the chamber area. You can see where I cut the rim away from the insert where the ejector is. This acts as an indexing pin for the insert. You might get a VERY slight POI shift from one cleaning to the next, but it's not going to be significant. At least not at the ranges I would be using this.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    You don't HAVE to, but you probably should remove it and clean the shotgun barrel as well as the rifle barrel. I have noticed it does have some carbon build up on the shotgun barrel just past the end of the rifled insert when shooting lighter loads that might not have the greatest efficiency in burning up all the powder (such as my 90gr bullet over 4gr of Unique load). But unless you plan on using the shotgun barrel, which I am not really interested in, I wouldn't normally clean that part every time. I don't even own any 20ga ammo, just 12ga and 16ga in this house.

As for indexing, see that last photo I posted showing the chamber area. You can see where I cut the rim away from the insert where the ejector is. This acts as an indexing pin for the insert. You might get a VERY slight POI shift from one cleaning to the next, but it's not going to be significant. At least not at the ranges I would be using this.
    Makes sense now. I have the luck that years ago I was gifted a rem 870 with an accessory scope mount, that when ever i took the barrel out for cleaning, the zero could wander in a roughly 19" circle. Got expensive after a while.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, an 870 would definitely suffer from that, as you don't really have a way to index the insert. With a break over that is a little different as you have either an extractor or an ejector mounted to the barrel which you can index from.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

jd, I forgot about this thread until I ran a crossed it tonight. I think you thought this out very well and hit all the right buttons.
    I only wish I could still shoot iron sights again and shoot groups like you posted with this combination.

I congratulate you on building an accurate very practical small capacity rifle on a budget without machine tools ! Very Cool ! ��
    You just can’t buy these type of guns you have to make them. Good Job ��
    Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    jd, I forgot about this thread until I ran a crossed it tonight. I think you thought this out very well and hit all the right buttons.
    I only wish I could still shoot iron sights again and shoot groups like you posted with this combination.

I congratulate you on building an accurate very practical small capacity rifle on a budget without machine tools ! Very Cool ! ��
    You just can’t buy these type of guns you have to make them. Good Job ��
    Jedman

Thanks, Jedman!

It was fun working this one out. And honestly I didn’t expect to get groups this good with it. But here I am with something I and others didn’t quite expect.

That said, I’ve got a junk H&R barrel I’m going to look at having stubbed before long. Then we’ll see what we can do with another combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a home made 45 calibre barrel chambered in 45/70 that lives in shotguns..... couple of points.
    if you carry a short steel rod (I use the guts of one of them double ended screwdrivers that come in car toolkits...if you get a case that wont pop out just drop rod down barrel into case and they pop right out
    cleaning it comes out and gets inside AND outside clean...
    you have sights sorted..perfect was going to suggest finding taller bead LOL
    if you find a bakail single barrel shotgun grab it quick..... they are built strongly and internal hammer is very safe to carry uncocked.
    my accuracy wasnt flash but have some idea what I was doing wrong so looking forward to finding time this winter to revist it on paper.
    as for pressure issues...I stick to bottom of 2nd tier top of first tier/trapdoor load levels...the case is flat back against the breech block so has nowhere to go...IF a round ever let go there is lots of surface area between barrel and block for excess gas to squeaze out,I deliberatly place the milled out slot to bottom so in event of failure hopefully it would exit via bottom of action.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I’d like to see the mold and some boolets from it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I’d like to see the mold and some boolets from it.
    Ask and you shall receiver...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123