Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help with some old revolvers I got

Angry Help with some old revolvers I got

To make a long story short I have come upon an estate of four .32 s&w short and long revolvers and two .38 S&W’s. My question is that I’m not sure which would be blackpowder or which is smokeless I reload for modern cartridges and never even thought about these turn of the century revolvers… load them all for blackpowder to be on the safe side? Also the deal came with some parts guns…. One of the .38’s isn’t pictured in my attached photo because I was playing with it lol I’ll add the photo later when I get home; Thankyou guys and god bless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 956380C0-B099-4F66-BA98-05B38F73B58A.jpg  

hard to tell from pictures - need brands, condition, + other info to determine manufacturing dates -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Most of those inexpensive old topbreaks were H&R or Iver Johnson. Have a few myself, even a .22. Only have one top break Smith. I remember reading that at one time they were a promotional giveaway item. I’m pretty sure they are smokeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Most of those inexpensive old topbreaks were H&R or Iver Johnson. Have a few myself, even a .22. Only have one top break Smith. I remember reading that at one time they were a promotional giveaway item. I’m pretty sure they are smokeless.
    I will get model names and close up pictures this afternoon, Thankyou

Moderator Emeritus

If I recall correctly, 1 gr-1.2 gr of Bullseye is considered a top load on a brand name top break 32. If you don't have a major brand, they may best be wall hangers. Collectible condition top break S&W revolvers rarely get more than $350. There is really not much of a market for them, while their beefier cousins in 32 Long easily get double that in very good condition.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

So unfortunately I was really busy yesterday so I couldn’t get pictures of all the guns, I had a moment to take pictures of 1 in specific because my neighbor wants to buy this one; I’ll take the complete photos of all the collection later tonight and close ups Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A79C5F4-0FCF-45C5-AC8F-8812E0012450.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	319695

Boolit Master

First, rim fire or center fire?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    First, rim fire or center fire?
    Center fire sir

Boolit Master
    Find some ammo that sort of fits and that you can close the cylinder on. Then use them for throw-down pieces if needed. Not that I would ever do such a thing...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

can't see picture clearly - if that is a Hopkins + Allen XL, they went out of business in 1904 so i would be carefull shooting any thing in it if not in perfect condition -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

If all the springs work and the timing of the hand and cylinder lock are correct, plus the cylinder chamber throats and bore all align correctly, then and only then would you consider shooting them and then only with very low power loads, like a minimum load.
    I have two of my two x great grandfather's 32 guns....that I do not shoot. The chance of damage to a family piece is greater than the desire to shoot them. Both are Smiths, one is a short barrel pocket pistol the other is a longer barrel hip or belt holster gun with the original leather holster. They both will align, only sometimes.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Duelist1954 has a youtube out on them. If you use the correct granulation of black powder, the guns with moderate shooting will not be damaged. If they are pre I think 1898 that qualifies them as antiques and felons can own them. Someone in that status might be willing to pay a bit for such a legal for them own revolver and working ammunition. It does also depend on the state of residence.
    it is difficult to know which were made for smokeless powder. Because the dates varied. Wolff spring did offer some springs for these guns

Of the ones I now have or have previously had, the Smith and Wessons always seem to be a cut above the others. There are other brands I've never had such as Merwin Herbert and others that may be on par.

If timing and lock-up is sketchy, they ablolutely shouldn't be shot. The hinge screws on both the main hinge, and the latch should be checked for correct tightness. If after tightening these screws properly, there is still slop -- well that gun is probably not a candidate for shooting.

I've got a couple now that are mechanically perfect, and I shoot them with light reloads using HP38. Both are post 1910ish. Guys over on the S&W Forum can help with dating them. (or maybe someone here) jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Of the ones I now have or have previously had, the Smith and Wessons always seem to be a cut above the others. There are other brands I've never had such as Merwin Herbert and others that may be on par.

If timing and lock-up is sketchy, they ablolutely shouldn't be shot. The hinge screws on both the main hinge, and the latch should be checked for correct tightness. If after tightening these screws properly, there is still slop -- well that gun is probably not a candidate for shooting.

I've got a couple now that are mechanically perfect, and I shoot them with light reloads using HP38. Both are post 1910ish. Guys over on the S&W Forum can help with dating them. (or maybe someone here) jd
    Interesting, I was figuring I’d do some blackpowder loads for these but if I can do a super light smokeless that would be better; what’s your load data for yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My wife's grandmother gifted her a .32 S&W top break revolver. I obtained loading data and brass to load for it 40+ years ago. At that time I found loading info in one of the really old Lyman manuals. Even at that time, they cautioned that ANY load could be considered "HOT". It was surprisingly accurate with the VERY moderate loads that I found at that time.

Having said all of this: I'd advise heeding Lyman's recommendation from that era and shoot them sparingly with VERY moderate loads. Enjoy them as collectables.

Boolit Master
    I use Lyman handbook starting loads in S&W top break revolvers, even the oldest without issues. Gun needs to be reasonably good mechanically but don't have to be perfect. I have a S&W Baby Russian that I shoot. They don't get much older than that. The auto eject does not work the rack is missing and the pinion is worn. Just makes it slower to reload. My experience (for what it is worth) is that S&W pistols are plenty strong for the ammo intended and age well (I have at least a dozen top break S&W revolvers) I have one Merwin Herbert, it seems even stronger. The other makes, I don't shoot them, could be dodgy.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    I ended up with my grandads 32 short H&R top break with a 6 inch barrel and nickel plating and I have a Colt solid frame 32 short with a 4 inch barrel I make bullets for both light loads they are fun guns to shoot