WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has something like this sitting around?

Boolit Master
    For about 20 years my FIL would stop at a house along the route he drove taking his steers to market and ask the owner if he would sell a '59 Edsel that was sitting in the field. "Nope, I'm going to restore it someday" One day out of the blue the owner called my father in law and said he had come to the realization he would never get the car restored and offered to sell it. Just because someone says no the first time you ask doesn't mean it won't happen.

Oh, Idaho45guy, you can buy a restored car for less than you can do one yourself, but whats the fun in that?

Restoring a car for 45k will be easier for many people than paying a lump of 30k for one ready for the road because they stretch it out over the course of 5 or 10 years. I'm sure fun plays a role, but financing it is also a factor for most people I think. Not to mention, most car guys have a bunch of parts they swap and sell along the way to finance their own project. If they fronted 30k, they wouldn't be able to horsetrade.

Moderator Emeritus

I know where there is a 1963 Chevy 3/4 ton Stepside, less than 60Kmi, all original, sitting since 1980 in a dirt floor shed...sunk up to the axles. Owner will not sell it or even let a grandson fix it up, Grandson plans to fix it after Grandpa passes.

Here's the story of when I offered to buy it, 18 years ago. I had a neat 1990 Dodge Dakota convertible, when I sold it in 2005, I started looking for a vintage truck to buy. My buddy says his Dad has one (the 63). I look at it and it's pretty decent and offer to buy it. His Dad says, "not for sale, it's my back up." He used it on the farm until 1980, when he bought a used 1979 Chevy 3/4 ton to replace it. He parked the '63 and it hasn't moved since. It had no problems, he figured he should keep it, in case the 79 goes bad. The 79 has been parked (outside in the weeds) ever since his dad quit working the land (2010 or 2011?), and now the 79 is rusted badly, but still runs maybe?

My buddy's dad also has a 79 Chevy Impala, low miles, I recall like 16K? This is in another shed, with cement floor. He bought in the early 80s, because he had another one that he liked so much, he thought he should have a back up. He buys the second 79 and just puts it in the shed. He would start it once or twice a year and let it idle. That stopped happening in 2011. It is not for sale...my buddy has called dibbs on it and plans to use it after his Dad passes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

another nice one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DodgePU.jpg  

Some relatives in the Hill Country would drive a car until it just died.
    Then park it out in a pasture to use for a deer blind.

Some were just sickening by the time they looked like the old truck in the above picture.
    1940 Chevy, a early 50s DeSoto, an old Mercury like ZZ Top has on his album covers, and a few others.

I asked my Aunt about the 40 Chevy when I was in the mood to restore an old fat fender car.
    She said they'd given it to the High School for a carnival fund raiser.
    Everybody got to beat on it with a sledge hammer for about 10 cents a stroke.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The galaxy brings back memories. I had a 1963 galaxy convertible (not an XL, I've always preferred bench seats). 300 horse 390 and auto trans. It needed all 300 horses to get out of it's own way. I don't know what they called the paint, it was a bluish/greenish color. I'd call it aquamarine blue. I had it reupholstered in white with a padded cover over the top when it was down. Not a drag racer, but a comfortable 120 mph cruiser and a real attention getter!
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    Don't get me started on old cars that need selling & restoring, vs just sitting & rotting away.

I have a friend who owns (3) Lagunas,, and a 1955 Chevy 2-door post that are all just sitting. He entertains offers,, but wants more than they are currently worth.

Banned

ex father in law had a 53 f150 with a flathead v8. only rust was the drivers floor pan because he backed up with the doo open and snagged the door on a basketball hoop pole. he left it out in the weather that summer and put it in the barn that fall and it had sat from 65 to 94 when he told me i could have it. well i figured id leave it there so it wasnt taking up room in my pole barn. marriage went sour and i never got the title and its probably still sitting there because her three brothers are about useless drunks. her dads dead now or id try to buy it from him and we got along so well that he would still give it to me just to see it done. my guess is if its not there they took pennys on the dollar for booze money

I had a barn find like that years ago.
    A guy bought a new 1938 Ford pick up, drove it around for 8,000 miles,
    put it in the barn and went off to WWII--- but didn't come home.

In the late 90s, I got it from his parents estate for $500.
    It was in pretty bad shape so I put the body shell on top of a '77 Olds Cutlass chassis.
    Events came along and I sold it before I got it finished.

EVERYONE!

Moderator Emeritus

I know where a 1970 Ford Pantera is sitting in a barn rotting. Kid committed suicide in it, dad put it in the barn and refuses to sell it. Now it is so rotted it isn't worth restoring, bird crap ate the top, old manure mud ate the bottom... rats ate the interior... barn will probably collapse on it soon...

Back in the 90s, our store was located in an old strip shopping center.
    We had the only spaces that were occupied. The landlord was a hoarder and had the other 4-5 retail spaces filled with junk.

And,,, he son's pristine condition Harley Sportster.
    The guy had also committed suicide and his Dad was never going to sell or let go of that bike.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Very depressing hearing of all the fine old vehicles just rotting away under every circumstance.
    On a brighter note how about the 1970 C-10 Chevy I bought brand new in November of1969.
    Have taken care of it like it deserved, had the stock 350 overhauled, any time something needed fixed it was fixed. Looks great and runs like a top. Would drive it anywhere. When I go I hope they will prop me up in the seat and set a 12 pac of Coors next to me.
    Make your own antiques!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I know where a 1970 Ford Pantera is sitting in a barn rotting. Kid committed suicide in it, dad put it in the barn and refuses to sell it. Now it is so rotted it isn't worth restoring, bird crap ate the top, old manure mud ate the bottom... rats ate the interior... barn will probably collapse on it soon...
    That's truly awful! And completely understandable on the father's part.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I had a 64 Corvair 110HP Mazda 2 door I used for boot legging. It had a 300 gal tank in the front, pickup in Huntington, WV or Ashland, KY and dropped off in Columbus, OH. Was clocked at in excess of a 140MPH pulling away by the Ohio State Patrol, his long stroke 427 Ford could do no more. The motor had been built by a drag racer in Detroit, cost me $900 in 1964. The suspension was tied down, it would corner, along with a few other mods. It could give the 65 1/2 mustang a hard time on the 1/4 mile strip. No one ever looked twice at it till the money changed from their hand to mine. When I went back to the old home place a neighbor had it setting in a weed field, floor pain was rotten but body looked good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Don't get me started on old cars that need selling & restoring, vs just sitting & rotting away.

I have a friend who owns (3) Lagunas,, and a 1955 Chevy 2-door post that are all just sitting. He entertains offers,, but wants more than they are currently worth.
    To be fair, if someone really wants a ford Galaxy or 1955 Chevy it’s not that hard to find one for sale. I put a handful of bids on a couple tri-fives 5 years ago but never hit the jackpot. There were millions made.

Antique car swap meets is a good place to find them, and there are good deals to be had.

There are usually various ones that people bring there unrestored,
    or they got started on one and had to sell for whatever reason before it was finished.

It's common to see one that's done except for glass, interior and a paint job.
    It's things most folks can't do their self, and seem to vapor lock when they get to that stage.

EVERYONE!

I don't have any hot rods or classics rotting in the yard... But I do have a weakness for old International pick ups and trucks.

Boolit Mold
    Aistep my Mack is a double over triplex with a newer Mack 260 hp. engine it rolls I used to own and drive an Autocar with a 4x4 trans, I hauled tons and tons with a Brockway triaxle with a 318 and a 13 speed

Some old cars are still on the road.
    In High School, I had a 1966 MG Midget. I sold it when I went into the military in 1973.
    The guy who bought it didn't live that far away.

A few years ago, I was going down the free-way and saw a '66 Midget like I'd had in High School,
    and pointed it out to Mrs. Winger. I got closer and saw it had a Triumph luggage rack on the truck lid.
    I had found one in a wrecked car yard for $20. back then and grabbed it.
    I've never seen another 60s era Midget with one.

I got closer,,, it was MY Midget!! Going down the road in just perfect condition!
    Fresh paint job, good interior, original knock off wire wheels & hubs, running like a thief, and not blowing smoke...
    I couldn't catch up in the traffic, and talk to the guy,,,, but it was MY '66 Midget!

EVERYONE!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    not a ford guy but thats just sad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast