RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 452-230-TC in Muzzleloader

Boolit Buddy

Lee 452-230-TC in Muzzleloader

So I decided to try out the Lee 452-230-TC in my muzzleloader this year. I've had good success with 44cal boolits in a sabot, so figured why not give it a whirl. Muzzleloader season opened for us yesterday. I was a little behind the 8ball as our family has been sick for the past 2 weeks. I was feeling well enough Thursday this week to build a blind after work and was able to drop it off and assemble it at my hunting spot on Friday evening. I was able to go to a buddy's range Saturday morning to do some load testing and got extremely lucky. First 2 shots were about a 1" group about an inch low. I felt very confident in the load and accuracy. The load was 80g of 777. No hot rod, but plenty for my hunting conditions. I was able to get out to my blind at about 2:30p and at about 5p the deer started moving. At a out 6p I had a nice doe pop out from my right side at about 30 yards. She presented a nice broadside shot at 20 yards, so I took it. She ran about 40-50 yards before piling up in the woods. Overall I was very happy with the boolit performance and am happy to have some fresh meat.

Banner Sponsor

Looks like it did a great job!
    Congrats

Boolit Buddy
    Nice blind, nice bullet, nice shot.

Boolit Master

Good work! Nice cleanup on those ribs!

Well done!
    Thanks for letting us all benefit from your experiment.

Good shooting , it's good when a plan comes together .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. It's nice when things fall into place, even if it takes a little luck!

rtyler, neat little blind, you need wheels.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    ALL very cool! It would be interesting to know at what velocity that projectile left the muzzle. The word "ENOUGH" would certainly describe it, but techno-geeks like myself will always wonder such things.
    I didn't catch whether the projectile went "through-and-through", or if you recovered it. Another "techno-geek" curiosity would be to see in what shape the projectile was, after it did its job.
    All that aside, WELL DONE on your hunting and marksmanship! It's clear that you brought enough of everything you needed for this to come out very well!
    Congrats!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    ALL very cool! It would be interesting to know at what velocity that projectile left the muzzle. The word "ENOUGH" would certainly describe it, but techno-geeks like myself will always wonder such things.
    I didn't catch whether the projectile went "through-and-through", or if you recovered it. Another "techno-geek" curiosity would be to see in what shape the projectile was, after it did its job.
    All that aside, WELL DONE on your hunting and marksmanship! It's clear that you brought enough of everything you needed for this to come out very well!
    Congrats!
    Hodgdon has some load data for a couple 240g bullets using 80g and they estimate 1600-1700 fps. I would guess I'm in that range. Projectile did go through and through with no recovery of the boolit. Alloy was 50/50 clip on & stick on wheel weights air cooled. Exit hole was about quarter to half dollar sized. Entrance was between 2 ribs, so probably not a ton of distortion upon entry.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to slip in my blind this morning for one last muzzleloader season hunt. Within a few minutes of getting in my blind a doe stepped out at about 20 yards. I was too busy lighting my propane heater and wasn't able to get setup for a shot before she moved along. I saw 3 more does up in the woods, but no shot opportunity. At about 9am I saw a buck up in the woods by himself. I hit the grunt tube a few times and he was curious enough to come out into the clearing. He presented a nice 50 yard broadside shot, so I took it. He jogged about 20 yards uphill towards the fence line. He stopped at the fence, looked back and fell over. Overall, I'm very happy with the effectiveness of this load for my setup. Took out the lungs and just nipped the top of the heart. A quick clean kill.

Boolit Master

congratulations on both deer, did you recover the second boolit ? or did it pass through as well? quick question did you use any wad or patch ? How easy was loading the boolit?? thanks have fun cutting up all that meat
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    congratulations on both deer, did you recover the second boolit ? or did it pass through as well? quick question did you use any wad or patch ? How easy was loading the boolit?? thanks have fun cutting up all that meat
    Thank you. It was a complete pass through so no recovery. I use plastic sabots so the boolit fits inside of that and loads very easily.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats. Can you post more pics of your stand/blind?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nidrab View Post
    Congrats. Can you post more pics of your stand/blind?

Boolit Master
    Nice set up!-06

I never thought to try a cast boolit in a sabot…not sure why not. I may have to give it a whirl. Good job!