RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCI 22 lr "Quiet" ammo semi-auto version

Boolit Grand Master

CCI 22 lr "Quiet" ammo semi-auto version

I haven't shot my S&W model 41 in years and dragged it to the pistol range with me this morning. I had some of the CCI "Quiet" semi-auto ammo in my bag from my last range visit using my Marlin 39.

Long story short. It does NOT cycle the action! Which is really disappointing, as it was grouping into 1" @ 25 yds. I gues the barrel isn't long enough to generate enough energy to push the slide completely and cycle the action.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

A lighter recoil spring might work better. I think OEM is 7.5 lbs. You can get them down to 6 pounds.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/...ecoil-springs/

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...ibration-pack/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-05-2023 at 04:39 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    No surprise if you read the specs.

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

Do not use in barrels over 24″ in length.

I love the stuff, but I don't even TRY to use it in semi-autos.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I like them too, it’s hard to believe how quiet they are in my golden boy.

I like to tell the story of when I was shooting some from my Ballard at a range in Idaho, and a fella came over to see what kind of silencer I had.

In the scope I could easily follow the bullet all the way to the target. First time I'd ever tried them. I'd bought a box at a big sporting goods store in Twin Falls, and quickly went back to buy a brick. They wouldn't sell a brick so I took all ten boxes they had on display.

At home I use them in an old Iver Johnson Model 55 to deal with recalcitrant porch pests, mainly opossums, but the occasional raccoon comes in for punishment. The segmented hollow point variety works best. Range is short - often only ten feet.

I have not seen any marketed as "semi-auto" version, but I'd expect such a load would have to be a lot more energetic than what I use.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I have not seen any marketed as "semi-auto" version, but I'd expect such a load would have to be a lot more energetic than what I use.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020878729

45 grain bullet at 835 FPS for the semi-auto verse 40 grain at 710 for the standard.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I love the stuff, but I don't even TRY to use it in semi-autos.
    I had a Model B High Standard military issue for a spell. I figured since it was made in the late '30's it would cycle CCI Standard velocity ammo. No, it would only cycle "High Speed" 22LR.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Interesting - the stuff I use says 710 fps.
    Cognitive Dissident

CCI 22 lr "Quiet" ammo semi-auto version

I just tried some at 40 yards shooting offhand with my Remington 510.
    Very quiet, surprisingly dead on to the sights on pieces of clay birds.
    Mine are the 710 fps version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 11-07-2023 at 11:15 PM.

The 710 stuff runs just fine in my Rem 552 but in my Savage MK II FV it is not nearly as accurate as anything else. Just ok in the Win 9422.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I did a video comparing Fed 45gr subsonic, CCI Quiet 710fps, and Colibri 20gr 420fpsthru my suppressor. Compared it to my flyswatter between shots. 2 shots of each round.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/pd1yKIlvzmI?feature=shared
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

American "target 22lr pistols" are nitrous for having heavy springs/over sprung. This goes hand and hand with the American "target" ammo that's +/- 1100fps rated.

A russian olympic pistol (center pictured below) is designed to use +/- 900fps ammo. Hence that cci quiet semi-auto ammo is an excellent option for cheap practice ammo. I couldn't even begin to count the number of these excellent quality russian pistols were destroys in the hands of American shooters running their favorite walmart bulk pack high velocity 22lr ammo in them. The breech face on the slide was not hardened steel & the heavy recoil battered/peened them in less than 100 rounds. Used to change out the recoil spring in that russian pistol twice a year. I used s&w 41 springs and cut them in half. 1/2 s&w 41 spring was all that was needed.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Used/shot a 22lr 1911 marvel conversion kit for years. It had 2 recoil springs, 1 for sv ammo (+/-1085fps). The other was for hv ammo. Never understood why anyone would use hv ammo in a $600 (back then) conversion kit when anyone could by a ruger mk I/II/III for less than $300.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Same with a s&w 41 that I used for over a decade. Didn't matter if I ran the 5.5" bbl or the 7" bbl. Had to use at least 1085fps ammo or hotter/faster to get it to function reliably.
    [IMG][/IMG]

CCI has a deservedly well-earned following with their 22lr sv ammo. Most amercian made pistol shooters at the club level compete with this ammo. Their quiet ammo (710fps) is fantastic for pest control or speed shooting events with 22lr revolvers. The cci 835fps quiet ammo is not only good/as good for the same uses their cci 710fps quiet ammo. It is an excellent/cheap practice ammo for any of the high $$$ sport pistols.

Boolit Master
    I probably have a half dozen boxes of .22 shorts for so-called "quiet work". They are quite accurate but won't cycle a Ruger Mk 1.

Boolit Master
    CCi-SV runs perfectly in all of my 41’s. I have one suppressed (Bully barrel) and it’ll run “quiet” and “subsonic”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    CCi-SV runs perfectly in all of my 41’s. I have one suppressed (Bully barrel) and it’ll run “quiet” and “subsonic”
    That is what the factory has always stated. One of the guys I shoot with years ago got a call from a high ranking officer at smith and wesson over a 41 that he had sent for some reason and was told to shoot nothing by CCI standard velocity and that is what I use in mine.
    The heavier springs are intended for a longer life span. We have one competitive shooter that has fired 1,000s upon 1,000s of rounds in his. The edges where the slide meets the barrel and frame are peened now. But to make his gun function he lubes the bullets and also use the cheaper mexican that will not function a 41. HV would be easier on the gun than a underpowered round that has been lubed to kick harder.
    As long as my 41 is kept clean it likes CCI SV. I also put a buffer in mine so it will live longer than I will.

For squirrel killing I use CCI segmented quiet ammo in the longest rifle barrel I can get. It sounds like a pellet gun and the segmented bullet works. The longer the barrel, quieter the ammo.

The CCI Quiet 710fps performs well in Ruger SP101 Revolvers.

You should be able to adjust an extra recoil spring, feed ramp and magazine to give you full function, including feed, ejection, with lock back on the 41 and Mark1, the 22/45 Lite will do the same with a Volquartzen trigger job and magazine disconnect removed, first.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

They are great for old guns like the Stevens Little Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    They are great for old guns like the Stevens Little Scout.
    Indeed yes. I just repaired an original 1904-1910 model, for a friend. A childhood heirloom, given to him by his grandmother, about 1960. I'd like to think she had it from new, but he doesn't know. Sending it back with 2-3 boxes of Quiet and a stern admonition never to fire HV in it ever again.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast