Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sticking cases on funnel driving me crazy

The fact that dirty media helps suggests spraying with Lock-Ease or some other graphite or moly-containing formula.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    Yes it did. It also allowed the boolit to lean over which made seating difficult and shaving of the lead. No I'm not using a bullet feeder.
    Don't take this as any type of criticism but something just isn't adding up. I first purchased a Dillon 450 in the mid 80's. When the 550's came out I purchased two. The 450 and the 550's were sold to fund a pair of 650's and later a third 650 was added. Since I have added two Super 1050's and a RL 1000. I have also helped a bunch of people set-up their Dillon's. None of them had anything close to what you are experiencing. Any sticking was solved by polishing the funnel or lube on the case ID. Never experienced anything close to possibly breaking the shell plate? While I do wet tumble at times it's always includes Meguiar's car wash with wax to prevent tarnishing or a corn cob tumble with wax after wet tumbling.

Could it be an issue with the fail safe powder system adjustment?

Could you post a video of the press having the issues?

Only thing I can find similar on the web is related to wet tumbling or galled funnels.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...l-new-problem/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...powder-funnel/

Coated and hardened replacement here.

https://shootingsportsinnovations.co...powder-funnel/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-06-2023 at 03:25 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I found my custom powder funnel extended to far into the case and was hanging where the tip was contacting the case web. I had given the maker dimensions but it was a bit too long. I had measured a bunch of different cases and figured I had the shortest straight wall section measured. After talking to the maker he said he left it a little long just in case. I ground it back a little, polished and tested. Much better but needed a little more. End result was my sticking problem went away. I didn't cut as much as the fella in the above video. You could try a little more angle at the tip to see if it makes a difference. I did all my work with hand tools and a drill to turn the funnel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Don't take this as any type of criticism but something just isn't adding up. I first purchased a Dillon 450 in the mid 80's. When the 550's came out I purchased two. The 450 and the 550's were sold to fund a pair of 650's and later a third 650 was added. Since I have added two Super 1050's and a RL 1000. I have also helped a bunch of people set-up their Dillon's. None of them had anything close to what you are experiencing. Any sticking was solved by polishing the funnel or lube on the case ID. Never experienced anything close to possibly breaking the shell plate? While I do wet tumble at times it's always includes Meguiar's car wash with wax to prevent tarnishing or a corn cob tumble with wax after wet tumbling.

Could it be an issue with the fail safe powder system adjustment?

Could you post a video of the press having the issues?

Only thing I can find similar on the web is related to wet tumbling or galled funnels.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...l-new-problem/

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...powder-funnel/

Coated and hardened replacement here.

https://shootingsportsinnovations.co...powder-funnel/
    I've watched that video a couple times in the past and wondered if I should try the same. I think I will do it today. Will report back on progress.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    I found my custom powder funnel extended to far into the case and was hanging where the tip was contacting the case web. I had given the maker dimensions but it was a bit too long. I had measured a bunch of different cases and figured I had the shortest straight wall section measured. After talking to the maker he said he left it a little long just in case. I ground it back a little, polished and tested. Much better but needed a little more. End result was my sticking problem went away. I didn't cut as much as the fella in the above video. You could try a little more angle at the tip to see if it makes a difference. I did all my work with hand tools and a drill to turn the funnel.
    I never thought that it might be too long. But will try shortening it a bit to see if it helps. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    This is the funnel currently. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231106_074441.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	319656Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231106_074509.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	319657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231106_074519.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	319658

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    that it looks like it was made for 38 sp wad cutter , that has a very long stem . shorten that will not help , the step to increase inside diameter is to far from the flair radius . the die should go deep enough to hit the radius part of the die to put a slight bell on the brass with that larger step on the stem about 3/16 or so from the start of flair radius . From what I can see in your photo the flair is not even hitting the top of the brass and you are bottoming out into the brass before you can get to the bell flair

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    that it looks like it was made for 38 sp wad cutter , that has a very long stem . shorten that will not help , the step to increase inside diameter is to far from the flair radius . the die should go deep enough to hit the radius part of the die to put a slight bell on the brass with that larger step on the stem about 3/16 or so from the start of flair radius . From what I can see in your photo the flair is not even hitting the top of the brass and you are bottoming out into the brass before you can get to the bell flair
    So what do you think my options are with this one? This one was made by a member here who was kind enough to help me out.

Stop wet tumbling or put them in a dry tumbler with corncob and polish after you do the wet. Squeaky clean…well, that “squeak” is what you are complaining about.

Get a bottle of Dillon lube and put a layer of foil on a cookie sheet and a single layer of cases, give the bottle a pump as you fan across the layer of brass, with a couple of passes to get coverage. You can shake the tray back a forth too, rolling the brass.

Let this sit long enough for the alcohol to evaporate leaving the lube behind.

Let us know how that feels. Most that don’t lube their brass, have never tried it to see just how much difference it actually makes.

Boolit Buddy
    look into buying the Mighty Armory , I would not get the mr bullet feeder I know those stick , there is another company that sells them called Photo Escape , never delt with them . I am using Mighty's 30 cal neck sizer in 30 carbine and it work great but that is not a powder die . I would check if Mighty will ship to you , sometime Mighty has listings on ebay

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Stop wet tumbling or put them in a dry tumbler with corncob and polish after you do the wet. Squeaky clean…well, that “squeak” is what you are complaining about.

Get a bottle of Dillon lube and put a layer of foil on a cookie sheet and a single layer of cases, give the bottle a pump as you fan across the layer of brass, with a couple of passes to get coverage. You can shake the tray back a forth too, rolling the brass.

Let this sit long enough for the alcohol to evaporate leaving the lube behind.

Let us know how that feels. Most that don’t lube their brass, have never tried it to see just how much difference it actually makes.
    Ive already tried your suggestion and nothing was different. I even tried loading with dirty brass and it still stuck. I've tried tumbling my clean wet tumbled brass in wax infused dry media and still the same result. I've also tried Hornaday One Shot and STILL NO DIFFERENCE! I'm so frustrated it's beyond words.
    Last edited by dearslayer; 11-06-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hard to believe that nothing is working! I MUST be doing something wrong. Just to add that I ALSO purchased a 9mm DAA funnel expander a while back to try and it also produced the same result so it like I said before , I'm trying everything I can think of. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231106_114009_com.brave.browser_edit_300092504240666.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	319667

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    did you try the DDA one with case lube, try this test
    do you have any imperial case lube if not
    rub in some lube directly on the powder funnel massage it in good with finger tips just to see if it still sticks ,ues the DDA mr bullet feeder one, it should work till the lube wears away

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    did you try the DDA one with case lube, try this test
    do you have any imperial case lube if not
    rub in some lube directly on the powder funnel massage it in good with finger tips just to see if it still sticks ,ues the DDA mr bullet feeder one, it should work till the lube wears away
    I've tried so many combos I'm starting to forget but I'll definitely give it a go. I do have imperial case lube. Only thing I hate about the lube on the expander is that the powder sticks to it when charging.

Boolit Grand Master

How much force does it take to pull the funnel out of the 9mm case compared to a bottle neck case like a 308 or 30/06 coming out of the sizing die followed by the expander die?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Since none of the lube tricks is working, lets try marking the nose of the funnel with ink. Dykem blue would be best, but a Magic Marker wiill do. Install it, run a few cases past it, and look to see where it's making contact. I'm leaning toward the hypothesis that the nose is too fat so it's sticking deep in the cases where the walls are curving in toward the web. Yoi night try the reverse, too. Mark up the inside of the cases and look for a contact ring. Do it with some cases that haven't been sized down yet.
    Cognitive Dissident

Get a Lee

On a serious note, I hope you get it figured out.
    Perhaps a little Imperial sizing lube on the funnel thing from time to time.
    That stuff will let you shove a telephone pole up a cat's rear end.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    How much force does it take to pull the funnel out of the 9mm case compared to a bottle neck case like a 308 or 30/06 coming out of the sizing die followed by the expander die?
    That I wouldn't know because I have yet to load any rifle cartridges but suffice to say it takes a lot of force to disengage the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Since none of the lube tricks is working, lets try marking the nose of the funnel with ink. Dykem blue would be best, but a Magic Marker wiill do. Install it, run a few cases past it, and look to see where it's making contact. I'm leaning toward the hypothesis that the nose is too fat so it's sticking deep in the cases where the walls are curving in toward the web. Yoi night try the reverse, too. Mark up the inside of the cases and look for a contact ring. Do it with some cases that haven't been sized down yet.
    I will definitely try this when I get a minute. Working night shift 6 days a week doesn't allow for much time to do anything. I definitely need to win a lottery so I can retire.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast