Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: sticking cases on funnel driving me crazy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I still have some Dillon dies that don't over size my brass, the ones that were a problem were replaced with Hornady.

Dillon customer service was not helpful with the issue of the coke bottle effect.
    I was curious if Dillon would do anything about that given their reputation of great customer service. That's disappointing because I was going to call them to see what they had to say. I still might.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    I was curious if Dillon would do anything about that given their reputation of great customer service. That's disappointing because I was going to call them to see what they had to say. I still might.
    Call them and see what they say, the person I talked to about said that was normal, not the normal for Dillon's good customer service.

Boolit Buddy
    What would you recommend to remove material? A small file or Emery cloth held against that area while spinning in the drill press perhaps?

Boolit Master
    I actually pulled the barrels from 3 separate pistols to ensure they all passed the plunk test and all worked well. I haven't tried the set back against the bench but I definitely will. I do apply a separate taper crimp.
    I seat my bullet then taper crimp with a taper crimp die.

Boolit Master
    Well I backed up the sizing die one full turn and it made a noticeable difference in the coke bottle effect. It's only just barely noticeable now. Thanks for the tip.
    If you care about consistency, you can place a shim between shellholder and die in order to take out the slight bit of variation you can get from flex when you size with a floating die. You can also buy shellholders that are plus or minus x thousandths.

But full depth and size expander will be the most consistent way to prep the brass and remove the coke bottle effect, if you can solve the sticking issue. Different headstamps will have different thicknesses at the base of the bullet. Proper expanding takes care of it the best.

Edit: oh, that shellholder and shim thing would only work for a single stage!
    Last edited by gloob; 12-05-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    What would you recommend to remove material? A small file or Emery cloth held against that area while spinning in the drill press perhaps?
    I explained the undercut process I used in a previous post in this thread:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5652818

jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456