WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sticking cases on funnel driving me crazy

Boolit Master
    I ran into the same problem. Happens with expanders that are extra large and deep. You just get a lot of stiction and galling, even with dry tumbled cases and lube.

I added a relief groove down the middle of the plug just to break up the area and to hold a bit of lube. It's much improved. I just chucked the plug in a lathe and touched it somewhere in the middle with a cutoff disc. If you have a steady hand, you might be able to make 2 or 3 grooves. Be sure to at least leave full OD at the tip and base, and you should be ok.

This reminds me of why I think grooveless bullet molds for PC might be a bad idea. The grooves might help reduce friction and give a place for displaced lead and debris to collect. Copper jacketed bullets are designed to reach the land but not completely fill the grooves. There's some extra room in there.
    Last edited by gloob; 11-08-2023 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I’ve been having so many issues with the cases sticking and crimping etc that through mighty frustration I decided to purchase a set of Dillon 9mm dies to use on the Dillon XL750. They have been on backorder since I purchased this press, but I was on a “ to be notified “ when product comes in. So I got the email and thought what the heck I’ll give a try. Well, it does help. The sizing die function seems to be a lot smoother. Perhaps my imagination but none the less. I must mention that at the time of installing the Dillon set I decided to also try once again the Double Alpha powder funnel that I purchased shortly after the purchase of the press and the sticking case issue. It didn’t help much back then but I thought I’d give it another try. With just enough flare to place the boolit, it does stick less than both the original and custom-made funnel . Not great but it is considerably less sticking. The issue now is that my finished rounds all look like they have the dreaded coke bottle shape. I did not know this was a thing with the Dillon sizing die. I wish I knew it before purchasing the set. I’ve just been listening to some Youtube videos and it seems that the Mighty Armoury sizing die would perhaps fix this issue, but I just spent $203.00 shipped on this Dillon set and I don’t feel like dropping anymore cash on dies right now. So, is there a fix for the coke bottle affect other than replacing the sizing die completely? I have not fired any of these new rounds with the Dillon dies as of yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231110_203651.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	319815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231110_203703.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	319816

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The coke bottle look comes from certain combinations of bullet size, case wall thickness and case sizing.

IIRC, the reloaded case is sized cylindrically, but the factory 9x19 case is tapered, so sizing the case mouth down means the case below the bullet base will be under the factory diameter. Add a fat cast bullet, especially one with a long bearing surface, and you get the wasp waist, which is worse if the brass is thick.

Less seating depth, a smaller diameter bullet or thinner walled brass might reduce the look. Or you could use factory new brass. Functionally I don’t think it matters.

Instead of a Coke bottle “narrow waist”, you might get an actual bulge without a waist, caused by a really long shanked deep seated oversized bullet that hits a high web. Those usually won’t chamber.

Drop the loaded rounds in the barrel you intend to shoot them through: if they “plunk” into the chamber and turn easily, chances are you won’t have any malfunctions related to the Coke bottle effect.
    Last edited by kevin c; 11-11-2023 at 05:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My boolits are a fairly long shank with no lube groove. Also with unbeveled base.

Boolit Master
    The long shank and square base probably add to the look. If they chamber OK then it’s of no consequence.

The flat base, as others mentioned above, does make bullet seating a bit harder. It’s why I switched to bevel base designs for the rounds I produce in volume.

Boolit Master
    I don’t have a 750, but my SDB’s linkage really didn’t accommodate much variation in aftermarket funnels. Have you laid the various powder funnel/expanders side by side and noticed any dimensional differences? With the funnels installed, was there any binding in the press linkages? My sticking came from the flare portion of the die. Turning the die out to not flare the mouth caused binding or failure to actuate the powder bar. I ended up using a modified custom funnel with shims in one pass and the Dillon funnel in a second to get the sizing and expansion I wanted without any sticking (more time consuming, but very smooth).

Boolit Master

I have the same problem! I went to doing my WC load on a single stage it’s so bad.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I tried out the Mighty Armory yesterday , all I can say it is a lot less sticky than the DDA one , its has a touch of stick but no wear near what the DDA has . The brass was cleaned with treated walnut only ran a dozen or so thur each die. Needed a slight ajustment for each die to set the flair . The finish on the Mighty is glassy smooth

Name:	powderfunnel.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	319877

Boolit Buddy
    this test was done on a 650 , and the DDA die has some use on it

Boolit Master
    I replaced the Dillon powder measure on my 550 with a Lee Pro Disc and using the new NOE powder through funnels. Works marvelous, pretty much flawless, especially with flaky powders. I just adjust the holes in the discs with a tapered reamer to throw the needed amount after working up a load with my regular adjustable powder measure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post
    I tried out the Mighty Armory yesterday , all I can say it is a lot less sticky than the DDA one , its has a touch of stick but no wear near what the DDA has . The brass was cleaned with treated walnut only ran a dozen or so thur each die. Needed a slight ajustment for each die to set the flair . The finish on the Mighty is glassy smooth

Can you coat each with dykem and then run 10 or 20 cases with each? I’m curious about the wear patterns.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Can you coat each with dykem and then run 10 or 20 cases with each? I’m curious about the wear patterns.
    I dont have Dykem , and the setup is at friends house , he hade an extra press I could experiment with , mine are tied up for now . I only go there on sat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsman View Post

Well that's good to hear. Sounds like I may need something similar.

Even a Magic Marker will do if you don't have Dykem ink.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    well it wont be till next sat to try the marker test . I also use a marker for setting up the crimp die

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    ... With just enough flare to place the boolit, it does stick less than both the original and custom-made funnel . Not great but it is considerably less sticking. The issue now is that my finished rounds all look like they have the dreaded coke bottle shape. I did not know this was a thing with the Dillon sizing die...
    Sizing die is fine. 9mm parabellum is a weird cartridge that has a slight taper to it. This means the brass is usually slightly thicker where the base of bullet sits compared to the mouth. Modern sizing dies have a carbide ring, and this takes the taper out of the 9mm. So the inside diameter of the 9mm case is generally always undersize at the base of the bullet by the time the mouth is sized enough. This is why you get the coke bottle after seating a bullet.

If your bullets shoot fine, there's no issue. But this coke bottle effect can size the base of your bullets down enough to cause problems. This is where and why you would want to use a custom full depth/size expander plug.

Boolit Buddy
    here are your wear patternsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	t1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	320126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	320127

Boolit Buddy

Name:	t2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	320128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	320129

Boolit Buddy

Name:	t3.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	320130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	320131

Boolit Master
    Well done.
    Do you have a micrometer? The contact surface on the mighty die seems smaller, which would reduce stickyness, but mostly it looks like it might be smaller diameter and that you might not be putting it as far into the case.