Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 2400 vs H110 price

Boolit Master

2400 vs H110 price

I really never took notice before, but was looking for some Alliant 2400 powder for my .44 Mags and .357's.

I found some, but WOW, the price was $58 a pound for the 2400,....but looking at a pound of H110 found it was selling for $40 a pound. Same with Accurate N0.9, $40 a pound.

I have used 2400 more than anything else with my cast handgun loads, but the price difference is too much to ignore.

I am going to have change powders.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

All Alliant powders are high at the moment. Used to be about the least expensive. You will probably end up with a slightly higher charge weight for H110. Something to consider. For economy, I’d look for a faster powder similar to Herco, unless you are set on full velocity loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look @ Ramshot Enforcer . It's my 2400 replacement . It meters well , is accurate , burns clean and much cheaper . It gives me magnum performance . At powder valley is $34.99 / lb .

Boolit Buddy
    Alliant and IMR are way overpriced. I'm trying to decide what will replace them.

Ramshot Enforcer. Best bang for the buck... Scheels here seems to have plenty. $30.99 a pound at Missoula Scheels.
    Last edited by Dom; 11-03-2023 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    Alliant and IMR are way overpriced. I'm trying to decide what will replace them.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...avuori-Powders

Boolit Master
    For 158 grain boolits in .357 Mag, Enforcer gives me the same velocity as HS-6 (3” barrel). Might be a different story with heavier boolits and longer barrels. I have zero experience with .44Mag.
    Enforcer can be downloaded safer than H110, it seems. It also gives more predictable performance than AA #9 when your boolit is not in a load manual.

Boolit Master
    Between #2400 and H110 for the .357 Magnum and .44 magnums, I'd certainly spend more money and buy the #2400. The lack of blast and muzzle flash with #2400 would be worth the cost.

Boolit Master
    Powder choices for magnum handgun loads have improved a lot if you are willing to consider stuff other than the "old standbys".

I have used a lot of 296/H110, but will never buy any more. They work great most of the time, but can be subject to ignition problems. I consider them too fussy to mess with at this point.

I never used 2400 based on either cost or availability.

I tried 4227 and did not like it.

Lil gun has reports of problems that just worried me too much to ever try the stuff.

A while back I got some SW Heavy Pistol for a good price. Burn rate real close to 2400, meters great, and ok for downloading. I love the stuff. SW has a couple of others that seem worth trying. Availability comes and goes.

A buddy ended up with some Enforcer. Based on what I have read and on how it worked for him, I would buy it over H110 without hesitation.

Accurate has a handful of powders that seem to work pretty good and are priced Ok.

Boolit Master
    The prices of Alliant and IMR powders are making even the Vihta Vuori powders look tempting.
    When you switch out Alliant 2400 for H110/W296, you may save yourself some money per round, but now you must do a new complete work-up. Admittedly, that may be an abbreviated work-up, since starting loads are recommended to be no lighter than 3% under maximum.
    You also sacrifice some utility in switching from 2400, in that it can be used for reduced loads in pistols (.45 Colt), and in rifle cases. I wouldn't even THINK of trying such things with H110/W296.

There's also the matter of primers to consider. Most of the magnum pistol data that I've seen for H110/W296 includes or recommends the use of more expensive magnum pistol primers to assure proper ignition. I've never seen such a specification for loads using 2400. Very rarely, I have used small rifle primers in place of standard small pistol primers, but this was an attempt to avoid primer perforations in loads that were "off the charts".
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 11-06-2023 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add'l information
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    IN general the prices fluctuate in Ct, sometimes Hodgdon is higher than others, sometimes not. I think it has to do with shipping costs to the dealer, truthfully, not the price the maker is selling it for.

Traveled to a shop known to stock powder and they did have 2400, one 8 lb container. So while not common it is being distributed. If I had the $$ I would have purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I really never took notice before, but was looking for some Alliant 2400 powder for my .44 Mags and .357's.

I found some, but WOW, the price was $58 a pound for the 2400,....but looking at a pound of H110 found it was selling for $40 a pound. Same with Accurate N0.9, $40 a pound.

I have used 2400 more than anything else with my cast handgun loads, but the price difference is too much to ignore.

It seems high now but in a couple years it will seem to be a bargain. 2400 is way better than H110 / W296 so you will like it forever. Buy it now and you will not be sorry.

I use 2400 in 410 loads , I had made up my own data for the 410 with the use of Bullseye for higher weight in the 2 1/2 and 3" shells
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Thanks fella's for all the input.

After really pondering the issue, I decided to stock up on the Alliant 2400. Always used it in my magnum pistols and rifles, and have load results that have worked for in my firearms over the years, and I can load down when needed. ( I have backed off on the older 2400 load data used in the "Elmer Keith" recipes,... because of newer made power, newer load manuals and newer pressure testing methods).

I have used H110 before, but it seems to have a narrow window of acceptable loads, mostly on the top-end.

Yep, I believe as time goes by, stocking up on the 2400, will be better for my shooting.

Pay once, cry once!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I have been using H110/w296 for years and it always burned cleaner than 2400. My .22 Hornet likes it too.

ACC

Thanks fella's for all the input.

After really pondering the issue, I decided to stock up on the Alliant 2400. Always used it in my magnum pistols and rifles, and have load results that have worked for in my firearms over the years, and I can load down when needed. ( I have backed off on the older 2400 load data used in the "Elmer Keith" recipes,... because of newer made power, newer load manuals and newer pressure testing methods).

I have used H110 before, but it seems to have a narrow window of acceptable loads, mostly on the top-end.

Yep, I believe as time goes by, stocking up on the 2400, will be better for my shooting.

Pay once, cry once!
    I used to love using WW10 / 296 powder. My buddy used to say they were Elmer Keith Memorial loads. In a 357 Magnum Model 19 I would load as much W296 as possible behind a 110 grain JHP. It would normally clear out the indoor range with just 6 rounds. Lots of muzzle flash and noise.

2400 is not like that. It has very little muzzle flash and very little blast by comparison. I like it a lot better.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"

#9 is one of my favorite propellants for magnum handgun loads.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    I read just today in Shooting Times that since the vendor of 2400 has changed from hercules to alliant, it burns much cleaner.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.