Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: How to do?

How to do?

Hello9 to all.
    I have a Pesersoli Sharps in .45-70 caliber and is is zeroed at 100 meters.
    Now I have the possobiloity to shoot at 675 meters but...but...how I ca do to st the diopter for this new distanca? There is a rule to calculate how many I have to raise the eye on diopter without wasting many cartridges?
    Thanks in advance to all.
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Buddy
    Going to be really hard to provide accurate come ups without having the specs of the load you are using. That said assuming your load is with a 500 or so grain boolit that is a round nose, money type profile or semi spitzer with a muzzle velocity of 1200-1300 fps your come up for 675 meters would be around 85 to 95 moa. What type of sight do you have? You will need at least a mid range vernier type tang sight in order to have enough elevation to reach 675. There are also ballistic calculators that will get you very close but you still need your load specs. I have a Kestrel I use for long range which is also used to measure wind speed/direction/temp. Correction for wind drift is also very important for long range. In the load example cited above the wind drift for just a 5mph 90 degree cross wind is 5 to 6 moa (about 40 inches) at 675 meters.

Hello to all.
    Hello Sgt H and thanks for the reply.
    This in the pics is the tang that I use. I do not know how calculare with it.
    I noemally shoot with optics.
    Thanks again
    Ciao
    Nino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20231103_175846.jpg   IMG_20231103_175957.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by iwottopq View Post
    Hello to all.
    Hello Sgt H and thanks for the reply.
    This in the pics is the tang that I use. I do not know how calculare with it.
    I noemally shoot with optics.
    Thanks again
    Ciao
    Nino
    That's a Pedersoli tang sight, and it should be similar to most others made. Usually the minor marks are 2 MOA, and 5 of them equals 10 MOA. So need to move accordingly. It's the less than 10MOA settings that need to be learned by the user.
    Here's a video a couple friends did that's for your sight, and should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PQ...brushLongshots

Boolit Master
    With out knowing your load; agues would be 90 moa ??? Never a waste of ammo ? IT'S called practice ???

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    That's a Pedersoli tang sight, and it should be similar to most others made. Usually the minor marks are 2 MOA, and 5 of them equals 10 MOA. So need to move accordingly. It's the less than 10MOA settings that need to be learned by the user.
    Here's a video a couple friends did that's for your sight, and should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PQ...brushLongshots
    Hello Marlinman93.
    Thanks for your help, the video is very usefull. I was actually looking for the value of each mark on the diopter. the trajectory calculation will come later, as soon as a satisfactory charge has been developed. Up until now I have only used black powder, but now it's time to switch to smokeless powders.
    Thanks again.
    Ciao
    Nino