Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hip replacements......let's hear your stories!

As always, follow all of the directions, before and after. The start of physical therapy can be interesting, in short order you will be walking well. Do not give in to it, no canes, no crutches, walk, walk, walk, upright and straight. A short lesson, but you may need to learn to walk straight up, all over again. Start with the level areas like the driveway, then progress to the yard and pastures.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Had mine done in 2017. No problems at all. They keep improving the technique. Where I live it is out patience surgery, you limp in and walk out the same day. The procedure takes less than an hour. I hope all goes well for you.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I did do the Physical Therapy, started day after surgery, lasted about 3 months, then told I was done. I quit the pain medicine the 3rd day, way too much brain fog. Ibuprofen for a couple weeks, but the PT was worthwhile. I did go into it in excellent physical shape, avoiding all the pain killers, heart, blood, mental drugs the doctors like to put you on. Stay outside and move, carry 30 lbs in a backpack, NOT around your gut makes things easier on your hips.

Boolit Master
    An unexpected thing I learned from watching my wife learn to walk,
    was her damaged knee stopped hurting.
    Once she strengthened her legs, knees, hips,
    (lost about 50 pounds)(she's a Swede, six feet tall)
    and got her feet pointed straight, not waddling,
    she could walk without knee pain.
    She mashed her knee in a car wreck long ago.
    was maybe going to need it fixed,
    but with new hips, and fiscal therapy,
    now she can walk without knee pain.

I call it fiscal therapy because the wallet hurts, too.

Moderator Emeritus

A co-worker had his done ten years ago. A year later they recalled the apparatus and wanted to replace his. You only get one replacement and he was 59. The second time it wears out they fuse it. He has put up with it as best I know.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Appreciate all the input guys.... I just turned 50. No other underlying health issues....still pretty fit, not overweight, and still pretty active, given the circumstances. Sounds like it should go pretty easy for me.....unless it doesn't. Very much looking forward to getting it done and getting on with my life. I've put it off too long.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well....day 5 post-op and so far so good. It's sore, tender....and I'm nowhere near being 100% stable on it, but it seems to be getting better every day. Had my 2nd PT appointment earlier this evening and he thinks we're right on track. Plan for next week is to lose the walker and get me walking on a single-point cane. Funny part is....I already have better lateral movement in my new left hip than I have in my right hip. Go figure.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Congrats! Had my right hip done 5 years ago & couldn’t be happier as it was so bad I couldn’t walk far without a cane. Should have done it sooner but life dictates timing. The only downside is you set off the metal detectors at airport security!

That's good news! Keep at it.

Both hips done.

#1 17 years ago, posterior, tough operation, tough rehab.

#2 5 years ago, anterior, easy… 36 hours in hospital from check in to check out, walking with walker 8 hours after surgery, went backpacking 60 days after surgery.

So....today marks 1 week post-op. I feel great...only negative 'symptom' at this point is what feels like a giant charley horse just about in the middle of my thigh. Joint feels great....mobility is getting much better, particularly as my hip flexors are healing and I can begin to lift my leg without much assistance. Still on the walker for now....but plan for PT on Monday is to work on walking with a cane, so hopefully that floats. I hope to figure out / get past the thigh pain issue.....it's 100% the most limiting after effect I have right now. Honestly feel I could walk unassisted if I could get past that.

Had my right side replaced six years ago. As others have said its not too bad.
    you'll be up waling the halls about the time you wake up, a 2-3 of weeks VERY carefully navigating the house with a walker and swiftly moving to a cane. At that point I was driving to physical therapy.
    Having said that, it IS major surgery. You'll be better than before, but you'll never be 30 again... or 40.
    I don't run or ski or backpack solo anymore. Could I? Yes, probably. Will I? Maybe...just to convince myself not to again.
    You'll be fine, follow Doc's orders.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Met with the surgeon today.....it's as bad as I expected. Bone on bone...left hip is done. He said on a 1-10 scale....it's a 10. Actually seemed a bit surprised I was still walking on it. Heading in on Dec. 1 for install of the new one. He'll do the anterior (front side) and said he cuts no muscle...I'll walk out same day of surgery.

I'd love to hear others' experiences....
    I had the posterior surgery on the right hip in 2009. Took about a year to recover, as they cut right through the thickest part of the gluteus maximus. That said, I still woke up from the surgery in less pain than when they sedated me for the surgery.

Then the Anterior surgery on the left hip in 2014. I was in better physical condition for that surgery, and I was able to go back to work within 8 weeks. To a very physical job. No problems at all. Anterior is THE way to go!

Bill

Well.....day 11 post-op. Done with the walker and getting around really good with either a single crutch or cane at this point. Pain is all but gone, save some soreness generally worst right after PT. Have my follow up with the surgeon on Friday, so hopeful/expecting to be released to drive and return to work light duty. It's been a long 11 days.....I don't sit well, so it feels like it's been weeks if not months...but no regrets! I can literally see/feel it getting stronger everyday so that brings an optimistic outlook!

Boolit Master
    Great that you are following up reporting your progress and very good to hear your good progress!

Thanks

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Keep going and do your PT. The days may seem long but the end result is so worth the journey. Im free from the arthritis pain for years now.

Boolit Bub
    Had my left hip done about 12 years ago. Now 68, probably the only joint in my body that doesn't hurt. Pain killer they prescribed, Vicodin, made me feel worse than the pain. Took it for 1 day, and pitched it. Aspirin and Aleve worked just as good and didn't make me nauseous. Wish my back doctor could do the same, he took one look at my x-rays and MRI and told me, 8 or 9 hours of surgery on your lower back, would take up tp 6 months to heal, and probably wouldn't feel much better. Told me I'm better off with pain killers. I believe him to be an honest man. Go for it!

Glad to hear it went well. Last month, or maybe the month prior, the Pastor of our church (we've changed churches since) had a hip replacement. He had a great recovery. He says he's a bionic preacher. I used to tell him when I'd arrive "Glad you could make it this morning, hope you get something out of the message." We always like to rib each other.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Mold
    I've been lurking here for years - trying to avoid asking stupid question instead of looking them up. I had both hips replace when I was 38 and "revised" when I was 52. I'm 72 now. Wore the 1st set out working in power plants. Sounds like you've done most of the hard parts - now you have to learn to trust it. When you do that, life will be back to normal. Good luck!
    Last edited by Bud in WV; 12-15-2023 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12