Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Cedar shavings for charcoal

Cedar shavings for charcoal

Hey guys. Ive been making BP out of cedar with good results. Ive been cutting up cedar planks and splitting it into kindling and cooking it into charcoal. I was given a big bag of cedar that has been run through a plainer and is in small shavings. Would that still work for charcoal? Its not saw dust just fine shavings. I have never tried to make charcoal out of shavings before. Just wondering if it would work the same or cook up the same, maybe it doesn't matter. I dont want to waste my time with it i fit doesn't work in that form. It would be packed in the can and would be different than in stick form. It might not charcoal up right.
    Last edited by lead chucker; 11-03-2023 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I use Cedar Chips that are for pet bedding to make some of my charcoal.
    If the chips are super fine , almost like saw dust ,I cook those parts separately and watch it closely.
    I have seen people use saw dust to make charcoal for fireworks.
    It worked good , but was several different types of wood mixed together in the sawdust from their table saw where they collected the saw dust.

Its thin shavings. was wondering if it would cook in the middle but get over cooked on the out side.

the guy is building a sana and was plaining the cedar. He saved me the shavings.

Boolit Master
    Just stuff the chips in your can and cook them the same as you would with wood chunks.
    Keep the heat at the lower end of the scale you choose to make chunk wood charcoal.
    When I make charcoal with the Shavings and chips , I just keep an eye on the amount of smoke coming out of your vent hole.
    The cedar chips are what I used to teach another member how to make his own charcoal.
    Only one caution with what you were given.
    The wood he Shaved needs to be wood that the bark was removed before he shaved off the chips he gave you.
    But if there are Bark Chips in the shavings.
    The charcoal you make will probably burn and leave darker and more soot.

No bark on this stuff just planks he was cleaning up for making the benches and interior of the sana. i have a 30 gallon bag of the stuff. Its clean no sawdust just thin shavings. Ive been on a powder making spree the last week. Have had some nice weather so been milling and pucking powder. seems better when there is a lot less humidity in the air. Screened up 4 1/2 pounds of of 3fff last night out of 6.5 pounds. Not a too bad of a recovery. Re milling the left over and a new batch with it to night and till probably till noon tommorow. Might try making some charcoal Saturday and see how it goes. I have lots of sedar shavings so hope it works.

I've been doing that for some time now, it works great. As a bonus you don't have to grind the charcoal first before milling it; it's fine enough already that it turns to dust while being milled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7793.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	319559. I make my charcoal out of eastern red cedar but i only use the red heartwood . Shoots plenty fast in my muzzleloader. Took the buck with it on October 22.

Boolit Master
    Captain, that is a very fine buck, sir!