Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: You never know what you'll see at the range

Boolit Grand Master

And that is why Africa is/was called "The Dark Continent". The name has nothing to do with the color of the people either. Has to do with Africa having still been in the dark ages.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Every time I go to the range, I'll see a handful of once used ear plugs laying all over the ground. Guess they are one time use only.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Every time I go to the range, I'll see a handful of once used ear plugs laying all over the ground. Guess they are one time use only.
    It is bad enough that people don't reuse them but to throw them on the ground (littering) is shameful. Some people seem to think it is someone else's job to pick up after them.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned
    Guy had a 500 S&W. Bullet stopped between the cylinder and forcing cone so he couldn’t swing open the cylinder. Didn’t know what he did wrong with his hand load. I said you forgot to charge the case or crimp the bullet and recoil started the bullet on it way. He shrugged his shoulders. I contemplated to drive the bullet back enough to be able to release the cylinder, but others next to us discouraged me. I didn’t hesitate not to do it. So we took it apart enough to open the cylinder.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, ramming the bullet back in the cyl can bend the crane, even with good support at the rear of the frame. Yep, based on experience

When I watched a good gunsmith do it he drilled out the center of the bullet to make it easier to push and had a jig made that secured the cyl, not putting any stress on the crane.

The worst stupidity is intentional stupidity.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I was shooting on an outdoor range next to a guy who was shooting a single shot .69 cal. ml pistol. The target frame was weather hardened oak. A split second after he fired, I was hit in the shin by his lead round ball! MAN! that stung! The lead ball bounced back off the wood frame and hit with enough velocity to raise a large bruise on my leg. Large diameter bullets at lower velocities seem to bounce back with annoying frequency!
    Overly light load. When I hit the frame with my Tower pistol (65 cal) it literally blows the frame apart and everyone else stops shooting and stares at me. The different sound and all the smoke sometime causes that to happen anyway

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    FWIW, ramming the bullet back in the cyl can bend the crane, even with good support at the rear of the frame. Yep, based on experience

When I watched a good gunsmith do it he drilled out the center of the bullet to make it easier to push and had a jig made that secured the cyl, not putting any stress on the crane.
    I actually did this yesterday when my super light load squibbed. So if any of you do super light loads, you can make loads that work with plain lead conventionally lubed bullets that will squib if you load a powdercoated bullet instead. Something that only matters at absolutely bare minimum charges, but I never saw that written anywhere.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    I love it when the guy next to you says their handgun won’t shoot, they flag you, you take it from them point it at the target and it shoots fine…

It’s a wonder why more people don’t accidentally get hurt then already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a young lad next to me at the club range having an awful time with an inherited military 1911a1. Inaccurate, stoppages were plaguing him. I was trying not to be that guy to butt in but after awhile I asked him if he was having trouble. I ended up answering a couple questions of his and he had me fire a few rounds. As I thought, the novice pistol shooter was limp wristing it and the gun was perfectly accurate for a GI 1911. I gave him some grip pointers and he had remedied the stoppages and now just needed practice for accuracy to get better.

Nice young man and didn’t flag me.

I quit going to public ranges a long time ago

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    there are a lot of people who should NOT own firearms
    Thats going to get used as a quote somewhere, citing this as the source.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    Thats going to get used as a quote somewhere, citing this as the source.
    That maybe but facts is facts. Not just some people but a lot of people should not own guns. That does not advocate for taking away their rights, more that they should choose not to own guns and should be punished it they misuse them.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Back in my industrial sales days, the recommendation straight from the ear plug manufacturer was to never reuse foam ear plugs. The reason given was to prevent ear infections. I suspect the lawyers had a hand in that recommendation, trying to limit lawsuits.

As a sales guy I had no problem with it. More sales the better.

I reuse mine, when they come out they go into the watch pocket. They get washed every time the jeans get washed. About 3 washing is all they are good for. The dryer seems to change the density of the foam.

The wife does get annoyed, about 20% manage to free them selves from the watch pocket and float around in either the washer or the dryer.

Boolit Buddy
    My fav range story is a guy to the left of me shooting one of those tacti-cool super-heavy barrel chassis rifles on a tripod, scope large enough to see the remains of the Lunar Lander left on the moon. Had a tactical bag to carry it in, although it looked like he needed two more men n' boys to carry it. He was lamenting that our range only went to 300 yards, 'cause he wanted to zero for 1,000 yds so (his own words) "he could shoot a deer that he couldn't get to". I stopped, pondered that, and asked if he couldn't get to it, how was he going to retrieve the dead animal he just harvested, or worse wounded? (BTW, 20-yr Hunter's Ed instructor in Alaska). He blinked slowly with that recognition of "Geeze, I never thought of that" and blinked again slowly. I asked how he was going to carry that heavyweight up the mountainous tree-clogged hillsides of SE-AK or if he was going to have a commercial heli-lift take it to the top? Last I saw him he was sheepishly packing it up and left....
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    That maybe but facts is facts. Not just some people but a lot of people should not own guns. That does not advocate for taking away their rights, more that they should choose not to own guns and should be punished it they misuse them.

Tim
    Careful what you wish for, a number of European countries have testing requirements before you can own a firearm. My understanding it is not cheap or easy to qualify for gun ownership. I suspect that a number of comments made on this forum would disqualify a fair number of people from owning firearms.

There is a politically correct term for it "social responsibility" or some such silliness. I believe it started in China, social engineering on a grand scale. If you didn't speak, act or buy the accepted items, you risked being shunned.

Wife tried to load 40sw with 9mm until SIL stopped her. Old fellow at pistol range with cast in a revolver shot a couple and then started to go down range to look at target. Gal and BF had a silly little pocket 22 auto that wouldn't cycle. Tried it, then sent them to the RSO to see if he would CLEAN it. After cleaning and some OIL it worked fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Back in my industrial sales days, the recommendation straight from the ear plug manufacturer was to never reuse foam ear plugs. The reason given was to prevent ear infections. I suspect the lawyers had a hand in that recommendation, trying to limit lawsuits.

As a sales guy I had no problem with it. More sales the better.

I reuse mine, when they come out they go into the watch pocket. They get washed every time the jeans get washed. About 3 washing is all they are good for. The dryer seems to change the density of the foam.

The wife does get annoyed, about 20% manage to free them selves from the watch pocket and float around in either the washer or the dryer.
    I guess I am resistant to ear infections. I reuse them a lot, many times, I never wash them. I have more pairs than I would count and can get more for free at the range or work. I have some still in the packages, some in little plastic boxes with a lanyard or chain. I have the old ones that are cylinders and the new ones that are bullet shaped and some that are multicolored. I throw them away sometimes but never just drop them on the ground and leave them.

Tim

Boolit Bub
    Its Crazy, even at the private range i'm a member at, People leave trash, ear plugs, and Junk everywhere.
    I'd Hate to see how some of the people live at home.

Boolit Master
    Careful what you wish for, a number of European countries have testing requirements before you can own a firearm. My understanding it is not cheap or easy to qualify for gun ownership. I suspect that a number of comments made on this forum would disqualify a fair number of people from owning firearms.

There is a politically correct term for it "social responsibility" or some such silliness. I believe it started in China, social engineering on a grand scale. If you didn't speak, act or buy the accepted items, you risked being shunned.
    Not wishing for the government to take away our rights or impose harsh restrictions, I am wishing for people to understand their limitations and not exceed their abilities. I am wishing for people to be responsible. Would that my wishes come true. Not holding my breath.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    You will eventually get the requirements I had to meet to be an armed guard on UCLA property. About one out of three people trying to get this job can't pass.