Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LBT .44 Keith Bullet Mould

Boolit Master
    "dern these typo keyboards."

I sure wish these keyboards would stop making all of these mistakes !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Banned

walt the two 45s i had resembled the left bullet in this nei picture. Short fat noses. Something that in my experince has never been ideal for accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post

Heres the box from the old NEI mould that whatcheer is talking about from Protchko.

On the LFT is the NEI .411 Keith it goes 235 grs from WW's.
    On the RT is the recent LEE .411" 220 gr SWC Group Buy for a comparison.

FN in MT

Boolit Master
    Dale:

Here is a photo of one of my Ballisti-Cast moulds. I have been impressed with the quality. All have been beautifully machined until my last purchase. It had tear-out in the cavity. Must have been machined late Friday afternoon ! The 4-cavity versions are getting a bit pricey now !

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    For the original poster, here is what the LBT Keith looked like in 2004:

The mold is marked as 240 grain, and I don't know if Veral has made any changes to weight or design since I ordered this mold, but as I recall, 240 was the only weight he offered at that time. Also, no photo was available in the catalog, so what you received was Veral's interpretation of the Keith design, varying by diameter, of course.

I haven't shot many of these, but it seems to shoot on a par with the Lyman 429421 I bought in the mid 80's. Usually I just go to the LBT 250 LFN for most of my .44 shooting.

Hope this helps out.
    Last edited by AKtinman; 03-02-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Jerry;
    That is a FINE lookin' mould. Unfortunately, my H&G #503 is just a two cavity. However, it looked SO good at the gun show that I had to buy it. It works very well, was used but taken care of by a careful caster. I have some nice Lyman moulds and they are a BARGAIN on todays market. However, when I went to buy a four cavity 452424 recently I learned that they had dropped that four cavity from their inventory. Sacrilegious!! Old Elmer would be turning over in his grave if he knew that!

However, fortunately, a forum friend here, had an extra 454424 four cavity and I was able to fill my needs (thanks, Glen).

I will hit the casting barn again in a couple of days. I am trying to lay in my year's supply while the weather is hostile. I would really like to have ten thousand bullets cast by spring.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    AKtinman:

That is a very nice looking mould and design ! It looks very similar to the RCBS 44-250KT.
    I would sure like one of those myself if he is still cutting them like that !

Thank you for the photo !

Jerry

Boolit Man
    AKtinman,

Thank you for posting the photograph of the LBT Keith mould, that's what I wanted to see.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Banned

now that looks like a bullet that would shoot. Its got a longer nose with a smaller metplat. I shoot and have experiement with many many 44 and 45 colt swcs. It can be real tough finding good ones. Ive even taken molds that did well and had them copied by good mold makers and just changing them a tiny bit which is hard to avoid trying to measure one can take a good bullet and make it a real dud. to me that is the only downfall to the swc design. I love them for hunting and shooting but a guy ends up with a drawer full of dud molds. If you find a good one hold on to it like gold. It is usually much easier to find a lfn that is accurate. there just as effective on game too but i guess im just a bit old school. By the way those h&g and ballistic cast molds are by far my favorite molds. they may cost more to buy but they will last your lifetime and be passed down to your kids. Some people dont know this but ballistic cast will custom cut molds and the price isnt alot more then there standard designs. they even helped me design a 512 swcgc bullet. they were freindly and great to deal with. It wasnt cheap but then ive found nothing in this hobby that is thats worth fooling with.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Dale:

Here is a photo of one of my Ballisti-Cast moulds. I have been impressed with the quality. All have been beautifully machined until my last purchase. It had tear-out in the cavity. Must have been machined late Friday afternoon ! The 4-cavity versions are getting a bit pricey now !

Jerry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    AKtinman:

That is a very nice looking mould and design ! It looks very similar to the RCBS 44-250KT.
    I would sure like one of those myself if he is still cutting them like that !

Thank you for the photo !

Jerry
    My pleasure to provide the photo.

Is your Ballisti-Cast in your photo the #643?

Beautiful photography, by the way!

Boolit Master
    AKtinman:

The Ballisti-Cast 4-cavity is indeed the 175 grain #643 ! It drops absolutely beautiful bullets !

I have seven other 4-cavity B-C moulds for pistol rounds. Each one is beautifully crafted. The only rifle mould was for a 38-55 it it had some machining flaws in the cavities.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12