Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LBT .44 Keith Bullet Mould

Boolit Man

LBT .44 Keith Bullet Mould

LBT catalogs a bullet mould described as casting an authentic .44 250 grain SWC Keith
    bullet. My problem is I have been unable to determine what this mould/bullet looks like.

I would like to hear from anyone who has this mould, and if possible see a photograph of the mould or bullets cast from one.

Thank you,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Banned

I had the 310 keith and 260 keith that he sells and neither shot real well in my guns. I peddled both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post

I've got two older NEI moulds that came in green and yellow cardbooard boxes. The sticker says Protchko, someplace in idaho. Anyway, have a 230 gr .411" and a 265 gr .452" .

The .45 slug seems to work great in anything I've tried it in. From a .45 Colt to my .454 Casull. In the Casull over 9.0 of Unique it's .38 wadcutter accurate.

The .41 seems to work well at least in my .41 mag mid range loads.

They are expensive though especially to simply "try"... with todays prices.

FN in MT

Boolit Man
    Lloyd,

The Keith mould is listed by LBT as the 430 250 K .45 nose, PB Authentic Keith 44.
    Is this the one you tried?

Thanks,

What Cheer

Banned

sorry i wasnt paying enough attention to your post. the two i had were .45 molds not 44 molds.

Boolit Man
    I am still looking for information on the LBT authentic Keith .44 SWC bullet moulds.

FN has provided a clue to another puzzle. Does anyone have a bullet mould made by NEI from a company named "Protchko" in Idaho?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

What Cheer

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll have to look. I have an NEI .44 cal. 240 grain mould that looks to be a Keith copy. I don't recall anything about "Protchko" on it. Mine is 20 plus years old.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Man
    454PB,

I would appreciate it if you could check your mould. It is supposed to be a Keith type bullet, I don't know for sure, but the mould might just have normal NEI markings, and only the box would be marked different.

Thanks,

What Cheer

Banned

the two .45 kieth lbts i had were not in my opinion that close to kieths design. the nose was to short and they had to big of a metplat. I think its a matter of veral thinking he knows more then keith did. If your looking for 44 kieths try the lyman 429421 with a square lube grove. They also made it with a rounded one. Or try a 250kt rcbs those are about the two closest to what elmer had in mind. Both are good bullets.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The RCBS mold that Lloyd mentioned is the 44-250-K. It's been around for years and is a good mold for the 44 spl or mag. I have two so that I can kick up production. At one time all mold makers wanted to ride the coat tail of Keith and made molds bearing his name. The best form of flattery is -----------
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man
    Gentlemen,

I am a long time fan of Elmer Keith and the .44 Special cartridge. I have cast and shot the Lyman 429421 since 1964, the RCBS 44-250-K since 1995. Both are excellent bullets. I like to try different bullets and am curious about the LBT 44 Keith. I have never seen a photograph of that mould/bullet, and would like to.

All information is appreciated.

Thanks,

What Cheer

Heres the box from the old NEI mould that whatcheer is talking about from Protchko.

On the LFT is the NEI .411 Keith it goes 235 grs from WW's.
    On the RT is the recent LEE .411" 220 gr SWC Group Buy for a comparison.

FN in MT
    Last edited by FN in MT; 02-27-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: .

Boolit Master
    I do not have the mould in question but here a a few others to consider.

Jerry

[L to R : Ballisti-Cast #1103, NEI #256, RCBS .44-250K, LYMAN .429-421. RCBS .44-250KT. Lyman .429-336]

Another that I really like is CATshooter's Group Buy bullet designed by 45 2.1 (shown on the right)!

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Man
    GLL,

Thanks for your input/photographs.

What Cheer

Boolit Grand Master
    Here's a picture of mine. The box it came in is long gone.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the H&G #503. It is Hensley & Gibbs version of Keith's .44 bullet:

It is one of my favorites and in my view is about as close to Keith's design as there is out there. However, I have shot a bushel basket of the Lyman 429421's and they are more than OK, also.

I have a Lyman four cavity mould for the 454424 (designed for the .45 Colt but also good in the S&W Model 25's and 625's for heavy loads) but my copy has a round grease groove. The round grease groove works just fine with the modern lubes (NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax or Lars White Label lubes). The square grease groove is what Keith designed but that was when the cast bullet lube was a bit primitive compared to the modern lubes and a large grease groove was actually NEEDED.

Others can disagree if they wish...

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Dale53,

I would tend to agree with you regarding the lube issue. I have used the NRA formula (Javelina), for a great many years with many different bullets, and have very good results.

The founder of the Javelina company was a close friend of mine.

Thanks for your input, I like your H & G #503 bullet, one I have not yet tried.

What Cheer

Boolit Master
    Note that the H&G #53 and the Ballisti-Cast #1103 are the same bullet. The H&G designs ended up at Ballisti-Cast.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

GLL;
    I should have mentioned that, Jerry. Thanks for the "heads up" (I KNOW that you meant the H&G #503 (not #53 - dern these typo keyboards).

I hear that the Ballisti-cast bullet moulds are as good as the H&G's, also. I know for a fact that H&G's are unsurpassed. However, I have several good (actually VERY good moulds) from RCBS, Lyman, Saeco and also like my Lee's even tho' they may not be in the same price cast. I also have fine moulds from LBT and NEI as well as custom moulds, that are superb, from Borton & Darr. We have "plenty" of goodies that only could be hoped for in the recent past.

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast