Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Pre-War Colt Officer's Model .32

Boolit Master

Pre-War Colt Officer's Model .32

I lucked into something I've lusted after for more years than I care to admit. A 1940-41 Colt Officer's Model Target, 6" Heavy barrel - in .32. Some bluing loss near the muzzle but near flawless elsewhere, perfect timing/lockup as is the bore, Coltwood grips, and with its original box. Pretty happy here, can't wait to shoot it.

I think it may be from the batch of OM .32's made for Massachusetts (National Guard?) but which the state screwed up and ordered .32's instead of the .38's they wanted. Colt held them to it and the state subsequently sold them. I don't know and you now know as much as I do, but further research is in the offing. At any rate I fully intend to gently shoot it from time to time.

Boolit Master

Very pretty gun. While not a major Colt fan I do appreciate one that functions and handles nicely.

Dutch

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .32 OMT can digest .32 H&R equivalent loads with no issues.

Hornady .312" XTP 100-grains:

8.5 IMR4227 997 fps @ 20,200 psi

3.0 Bullseye. 871 fps @ 19,600 psi
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Oh that’s NICE!
    Good for you!
    Yeah that old girl needs chance to dance. Take her out!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The .32 OMT can digest .32 H&R equivalent loads with no issues.

Hornady .312" XTP 100-grains:

8.5 IMR4227 997 fps @ 20,200 psi

3.0 Bullseye. 871 fps @ 19,600 psi
    This is the one I told you about on an another venue.

First round of handloads concocted: Accurate Molds #31-105T/2.5gr. Bullseye. (Said bullet has been working splendidly in my 1922-vintage Colt Army Special .32-20. Both revolvers have the same throat diameters, .314".)
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 11-02-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Drool.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh man, I envy you. I have a 38 OMT from 1941 and a 22 from 1926, but I have only ever seen one for sale. It was a thousand bucks and at that time it might have just as well been a million. Those are the guns that ruled the awards stands back in the 1930's. Congratulations on your find. What I particularly like is that it is worn enough that a little shooting won't hurt it, but is still very nice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    PM sent. Thanks, Bill

Boolit Master

Back in the 70s, one of the largest center section multi page advertisers in the tabloid Shotgun News was J & G Rifle Ranch, of Arizona. One of their specialties was old stocks of Colt revolvers. For several years, they had these OM 32s, many NIB with accessories, for sale. Probably the Mass. ones. When I was about to leave grad school for USAF pilot training in 1975 (and thus would be making some real money), I ordered a higher end offering for about $400. Substantial money at the time, but these were not to be found elsewhere. I still have it and it still has cosmoline in some corners.

Seems they had real trouble moving these and ultimately rechambered them to 32 H&R Mag to increase curb appeal. If encountering one of these, it's a good idea to check the chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Back in the 70s, one of the largest center section multi page advertisers in the tabloid Shotgun News was J & G Rifle Ranch, of Arizona. One of their specialties was old stocks of Colt revolvers. For several years, they had these OM 32s, many NIB with accessories, for sale. Probably the Mass. ones. When I was about to leave grad school for USAF pilot training in 1975 (and thus would be making some real money), I ordered a higher end offering for about $400. Substantial money at the time, but these were not to be found elsewhere. I still have it and it still has cosmoline in some corners.

Seems they had real trouble moving these and ultimately rechambered them to 32 H&R Mag to increase curb appeal. If encountering one of these, it's a good idea to check the chambers.
    If I had one of these in hand in unaltered condition, I’m enough of a purist (barely) to resist altering it to 32 H&R. If OTOH, it had already been altered and was an affordable shooter, I’d certainly snap it up like my namesake with a juicy fly! For shooting, it would nearly be on a par with the sought after K32. I’m sure I’d be the only kid on my block to have one… which would just be an additional attraction!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The Colt Official Police is My favorite double action revolver.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I kind of like the looks of the adjustable front sight, although I can also see why the factories changed to a fully adjustable rear sight.

I'm guessing the gun is marked for .32 Colt N.P. instead of .32 S&W Long?

I still want a real S&W K-32, but I wouldn't turn down a Colt Officer's Model Match in .32 either.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Double nice, do you mind sharing the price? We're already envious.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If I had one of these in hand in unaltered condition, I’m enough of a purist (barely) to resist altering it to 32 H&R. If OTOH, it had already been altered and was an affordable shooter, I’d certainly snap it up like my namesake with a juicy fly! For shooting, it would nearly be on a par with the sought after K32. I’m sure I’d be the only kid on my block to have one… which would just be an additional attraction!
    Froggie
    Yeah, Buddy! Would love to find one so rechambered and try to dicker the price down to account for the 'loss of collector value.' Would fail to admit the increase in my interest!

Several years ago, I got into a neat Colt DS that had been well chambered to 32 H&R. Has a 2" barrel. I now have a new 4" barrel, a Smith Kit Gun rear sight, a cool King front ramp and a set of figured Herrett's Detective stocks, all of which will make a keen little centerfire Kit Gun.

Boolit Master

Beautiful revolver. Congratulations on that purchase!
    I doubt, but don't know for certain, that is was designed to shoot jacketed bullets.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I kind of like the looks of the adjustable front sight, although I can also see why the factories changed to a fully adjustable rear sight.

I'm guessing the gun is marked for .32 Colt N.P. instead of .32 S&W Long?

I still want a real S&W K-32, but I wouldn't turn down a Colt Officer's Model Match in .32 either.

Robert
    Either way it's chambered for 32 S&W Long. The 32 Colt revolvers were discontinued by 1910. That's a beautiful 32 Officers Model from 1939 - 40. I have one in 38 Special but always wanted the 32 as well. 32 Colt New Police is the same as 32 Smith and Wesson Long.

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful postol!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Very nice ! I just love classic double action revolvers.