RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine light on

Boolit Buddy
    Regulation writing Federal contractors, not employees, often have a money angle in mind when they write those regulations.
    Had an S10 years ago that set a code for the mass air flow sensor. It was a v6, and a major part of the engine compartment wiring harness was too close to the driver's side exhaust manifold. Good way to melt wiring insulation and cause a short, and set a code. Was able to replace the MAF with an OEM part. Didn't help. A good mechanic at the dealership noticed the way the wiring was routed and suggested that , if the truck was running ok, to ignore the light.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Back before everything was computerized on vehicles, my solution was a piece of black tape over the check engine light. Worked well. Mechanics of the time told me it was the best solution! I don't know it I would try that on a newer vehicle.

Do a search on resetting the light. I have done it on my Dodge Ram with no problems.It usually involves turning the key on and off at different intervals, stepping on different pedals, scratching your head, wondering if you did it right. It can take several times.

Look here for easy fixes.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=reset+Ness...e+light&ia=web
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Regulation writing Federal contractors, not employees, often have a money angle in mind when they write those regulations.
    Had an S10 years ago that set a code for the mass air flow sensor. It was a v6, and a major part of the engine compartment wiring harness was too close to the driver's side exhaust manifold. Good way to melt wiring insulation and cause a short, and set a code. Was able to replace the MAF with an OEM part. Didn't help. A good mechanic at the dealership noticed the way the wiring was routed and suggested that , if the truck was running ok, to ignore the light.
    Same here ! Replaced engine(wiped a cam lobe) and ALL sensors . Check engine light still on . Fine here, but where my daughter lives, no inspection sticker if ANY bugaboo lights on . If oil pressure is good, engine ain't hot, and gas mileage doesn't go down, I'll keep ignoring it for another 200K miles ! In my case, in lieu of tape, a black target paster works ,

Boolit Master
    In the old days about the only thing that turned on the check engine light was emissions sensors. Black tape was an effective switch for the light. I used to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster as a better fix because my wife was convinced the engine would blow up when she figured out why I was putting a piece of tape on her car dash.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    45Dude, You forgot to mention it had bucket seats
    Yes it did. Wonnderfull car.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for your advice and tips. I really like the black tape idea. I should mention that the car runs great. Thanks again. What a wealth of knowledge we have on this site.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I bought one item from Rock Auto and was completely satisfied .
    The part was the climate control module in a 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis it was still $300 but other prices were at least 2 times as much and I think the dealer was $1100! I also quickly got my core charge back when returning the bad part .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the can of spray I used, and it reads, Mass Air Senor Cleaner.

Boolit Master

I bought a reader to plug in my Ram pickup to make sure the light wasn't anything serious.

You might need one of these:

[url]https://youtube..blah, blah, blah.....didn't work.

But its on you tube. Search there for 'entabulator'.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-04-2023 at 12:13 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    In the old days about the only thing that turned on the check engine light was emissions sensors. Black tape was an effective switch for the light. I used to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster as a better fix because my wife was convinced the engine would blow up when she figured out why I was putting a piece of tape on her car dash.
    "Old days" ? You're just a young fella ! In the real "old days" there were no steenkin' sensors !! And life was good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, carb, points and ignition coil. Set the dwell on the points and good to go

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Yep, carb, points and ignition coil. Set the dwell on the points and good to go
    Amen!

Boolit Master

Rock auto is good for most things. Watch out for thd shipping. Also items that have return cores charges are sent back on your dime for postage. That can make some items unattractive when total cost is considered.
    I ordered a brake caliper that had a core charge. I saved $18.00 on price but had tp pay $10,00 postage to return the core.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12