Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it lately with all the exotic homebrews of alloys?

Boolit Master

What is it lately with all the exotic homebrews of alloys?

I have noticed lately a big uptick in people wanting to "make" their own alloys. 99% of these people have no idea what is really involved in the process of alloying metals and especially the dangers involved in the safe handling of alloying materials like arsenic and antimony. And then you have the issue of how are you going to test your alloy to see what you actually have.
    All of this when places like Rotometals have documented, high content lead alloys, that will readily melt and easily alloy with your lead. Safely at that.

the economy is forcing many to find less costly alternatives for a lot of commodities -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

That's a very good question and I think the answer is money. I got a quote of over $2,000 for 120 lb of lyman number two alloy from roto metals.

I mixed it together myself and saved a bunch of money.

My cost including purchasing the lead was less than $500 that was buying the lead buying the tin and roto metal super hard and mixing it together in a big cauldron then pouring myself a bunch of hot ingots. I'm down to my last 45 pounds - time to pour myself another hot one .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    That's a very good question and I think the answer is money. I got a quote of over $2,000 for 120 lb of lyman number two alloy from roto metals.

I mixed it together myself and saved a bunch of money.

My cost including purchasing the lead was less than $500 that was buying the lead buying the tin and roto metal super hard and mixing it together in a big cauldron then pouring myself a bunch of hot ingots. I'm down to my last 45 pounds - time to pour myself another hot one .
    I am going to call a big BS on that one!!!! 120 lbs. of Lyman #2 from Rotometals right now is 414.49. WITH free shipping over 150.00! So that would have been $414.49 to your door.
    https://www.rotometals.com/lyman-2-b...in-5-antimony/

And just to add a bit of a rub in, for $2007.68 you could have gotten 600 lb.s of #2!!!!!
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 11-01-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I am going to call a big BS on that one!!!! 120 lbs. of Lyman #2 from Rotometals right now is 414.49. WITH free shipping over 150.00! So that would have been 414.49 to your door.
    https://www.rotometals.com/lyman-2-b...in-5-antimony/

Boolit Master
    I have never seen anything like that price from Roto. What was the date on that? That link I sent on the last one was just now.
    With all of that said what you did to make your alloy using the Rotometal Superhard is what we have been pushing as the right way to do it. That way you know what you have.

Boolit Master
    I just did the math on that receipt you show and it does not add up, not even close!! You show a price of 23.99 each for a total of 47.98 for two. Which is 47.98 for 10lbs. 10 times 12 is 120 lbs. 12 times 47.98 is 574.80. There is something else going on with that receipt!!

I figured it out. You ordered, and were quoted for, 120 each five pound ingots at the discounted price of 16.37 for a total price of 1964.40 for a total weight of 120 X 5lb. = 600 lbs..

Almost EXACTLY what I said in the post above.

Well I apologize you're right and I'm wrong. I just saw that price tag had an kneejerk reaction and decided I could make it myself for significantly less including the cost of purchasing a propane burner and 5 gallon tank.

I ended up with almost 250 lb of 90/5/5 alloy. I can hit Red line in 357 Magnum and not get leading and smack the heck out of the steel plate at 80 yards. I still keep procrastinating to dive both feet into the 300 blackout project that I've got on the back burner.

Moderator Emeritus

I have noticed lately a big uptick in people wanting to "make" their own alloys. 99% of these people have no idea what is really involved in the process of alloying metals and especially the dangers involved in the safe handling of alloying materials like arsenic and antimony. And then you have the issue of how are you going to test your alloy to see what you actually have.
    All of this when places like Rotometals have documented, high content lead alloys, that will readily melt and easily alloy with your lead. Safely at that.
    I have to dispute "99% of these people have no idea what is really involved", I suppose there is some small percentage of reckless metallurgists out there, but when a person goes through the levels of the firearms hobby and gets to "The Bullet Caster" (as defined in recluse's wonderful post), then I think they've read/researched a good bit and understand the "dangers."

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=recluse
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

that's over $16 per pound ! Your numbers correct?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    that's over $16 per pound ! Your numbers correct?
    Read the whole thread

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have to dispute "99% of these people have no idea what is really involved", I suppose there is some small percentage of reckless metallurgists out there, but when a person goes through the levels of the firearms hobby and gets to "The Bullet Caster" (as defined in recluse's wonderful post), then I think they've read/researched a good bit and understand the "dangers."

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=recluse
    When they are asking about "melting" antimony and talking about running lead temps of 1100-1200 degrees they have NOT reached that point. Not in my opinion anyway.

When they are asking about "melting" antimony and talking about running lead temps of 1100-1200 degrees they have NOT reached that point. Not in my opinion anyway.
    jmho - been doing it for 6 decades + i have never seen any references to 1100/1200 degrees in any casting publication - most casters get the antimony + arsenic from other alloys - just like crossing the street safety should be first priority in any endearer -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 11-01-2023 at 03:09 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Most if us dealing with scrap as a starter for alloy are making our own alloy. Its not a huge deal. For mauvy if us that cast 90% for handguns, alloy isnt really a huge deal some want to make it. If I want to add antimony to my alloy I look for lino or monetype to add to the range scrap or pure lead or whatever. Nothing really exotic about it. IF I was buying alloy from Rotometals, I wouldn't cast, not worth the cost.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Most if us dealing with scrap as a starter for alloy are making our own alloy. Its not a huge deal. For mauvy if us that cast 90% for handguns, alloy isnt really a huge deal some want to make it. If I want to add antimony to my alloy I look for lino or monetype to add to the range scrap or pure lead or whatever. Nothing really exotic about it. IF I was buying alloy from Rotometals, I wouldn't cast, not worth the cost.
    Good post.

I tried buying from Rotometals, but they are not geared to supplying large quantities at a “fair” price.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

If anything, with the custom alloys currently available, the casters doing custom alloys involving arsenic and antimony is less than it was in the 70's and 80's. Increasing antimony is relatively easy and safe while staying well under 1,000 degrees. As to arsenic adding arsenic rich alloys is the only method available to most home casters.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

It's just one person asking a question...no one has fired up a kiln just yet
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    the economy is forcing many to find less costly alternatives for a lot of commodities -
    Exactly!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I have a feeling more people are just looking at what they can do IF S.H.T.F. more then anything else ....come to think of it how do I make enamel paint or should I just go back to beeswax & ....

On a side note did you know that as late as the 1960's Mercury was used to harden lead alloys? small amounts of 1-2% increases hardness more softens the alloy and get this Mercury is naturally in lead to begin with!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast