Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Deer hunting in 1957

Deer hunting in 1957

Love the vintage vehicles.

https://youtu.be/fQFZL9wE5m4?si=splE-oIPb6PoBwUS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    How on earth did they get those deer without any big honkin' mega scopes ?

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    How on earth did they get those deer without any big honkin' mega scopes ?
    And no 6.5 Crudemore or $50,000 4 Wheel Drive trucks . Must have had some .348's hid out somewhere !
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-31-2023 at 04:18 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

With all that cigarette smoking they are all long dead now. Probably had heart attacks at 55 or lung cancer.

I bet the majority of those men were WW2 vets, enjoying the life they sacrificed so much for.

Boolit Master
    The sign that says "Susan River" leads me to believe that this film was shot in the mountains west of Susanville California. Back when I was a kid California was a sportsman's paradise; Hunting, camping, fishing and all manner of outdoor activities. Those days are just memories now.

There is a follow up video with more "home movie " type content. The cars have California plates and there is footage of a Wonderbread facility where one of the trucks has Oakland on the door.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    With all that cigarette smoking they are all long dead now. Probably had heart attacks at 55 or lung cancer.
    Being as how that was 66 years ago and they appear to all be at least 40 years old, they’d probably be dead even if they didn’t smoke.

Boolit Master

Yeah but, when they came out, menthol cigarettes were marketed for "colds". Nobody at that time had any idea about nicotine addiction, or the damage that burned tobacco does to the body.

Boolit Buddy

Loved the great old video of the 1950 deer hunts! This 8mm home movie brought back a lot of memories. I was 12 years old in 1957 and remember hunting with my grandfather and father out of a cabin in Forest County Pennsylvania. Dad bought a new 1957 Chevrolet that year. I remember the buck he shot and tied on the trunk hauling it back to town. Father was a decorated WW II veteran that loved deer hunting. His rifle was a German 98K with a Hensolt-Wetslar 4X sniper he liberated and brought home in 1947. That ole' rifle put plenty of venison in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Loved the great old video of the 1950 deer hunts! This 8mm home movie brought back a lot of memories. I was 12 years old in 1957 and remember hunting with my grandfather and father out of a cabin in Forest County Pennsylvania. Dad bought a new 1957 Chevrolet that year. I remember the buck he shot and tied on the trunk hauling it back to town. Father was a decorated WW II veteran that loved deer hunting. His rifle was a German 98K with a Hensolt-Wetslar 4X sniper he liberated and brought home in 1947. That ole' rifle put plenty of venison in the freezer.
    A y pictures you could post?

Boolit Master
    Sure reminds me of that Hat Creek country up near Lassen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I bet the majority of those men were WW2 vets, enjoying the life they sacrificed so much for.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The sign that says "Susan River" leads me to believe that this film was shot in the mountains west of Susanville California. Back when I was a kid California was a sportsman's paradise; Hunting, camping, fishing and all manner of outdoor activities. Those days are just memories now.
    I was there once, in '74. Yes. It was paradise. Trout, bears, (bigfoot?). Camping in the mountains in Northern California was mind-blowing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Took my first deer in Hemet. On that spot today nothing but houses for miles in every direction.............and we 4-wheeled in and rough camped for 2 days to pull that off. By the way..my gun a 94 winchester 30/30 with iron sights at about 70 yards. I was hiding under a horse hide lying prone on the ground as he was silhouetted against a setting sun on a ridge I'd watched him cross the night before.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

That is a great post, and it brings back memories as I hunted, with my Dad and his buddies (all of who were veterans) in the Susanville California area and in the Donner Pass area as well. Back then the rifles were usually 30-30s or 30-06 or .303 British which were really cheap at the time. And if there were scopes they were 4x Weavers. Nobody had 4 wheel drive vehicles and I recall Dad was using his old 1957 Ford. We used old canvas tents from Sears and Roebuck and sleeping bags which were usually not warm enough! Back then California was a great place to hunt and fish.
    best atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !