Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: For Thought and Meditation - Tuesday, October 31

For Thought and Meditation - Tuesday, October 31

Good morning all. Here's a great message and mini Bible study. Have a safe and blessed day.

The Problem With Knowledge
    by Dr. Robert Jeffress

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
    –1 John 4:20

In 1 Corinthians 8, Paul addressed a gray area in the church: Should a Christian eat meat that had been offered to an idol? I realize that is not a burning issue in the church today. We do not go into the grocery store and see a section for meat offered to idols. But there are other issues that Christians tend to have strong feelings about: playing the lottery, smoking, drinking, celebrating Halloween. How do we decide what is right and wrong?

The more mature Christians in the church at Corinth said eating this meat was no big deal. So Paul structured this part of his letter by refuting the two arguments they were using.

First of all, the mature Christians were arguing that they had superior knowledge. These believers said there is nothing in God’s Word that prohibits eating meat sacrificed to idols; therefore, they were free to do it. They had that knowledge. But Paul pointed out the problem with knowledge in verse 1: “Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.

Knowledge without love produces arrogance. It produces an insensitivity toward the feelings of others. Do you know people whose heads are filled with all kinds of biblical knowledge, yet they are some of the meanest people you will ever meet? You see, the Christian life is not about head knowledge. The Bible says the purpose of any knowledge from Scripture is to cause you either to love God more or to love others more. Jesus said in Matthew 22:37-39: “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” Any knowledge that does not help you love God or love other people is worthless knowledge.

Paul said the same thing in 1 Corinthians 8:2-3: “If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.” Paul was saying the bottom line in the Christian life is love for God, and flowing out of that is love for other people. Look at 1 John 4:20: “If someone says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.” What does this have to do with our behavior? Paul said our love for God and our love for other people is the boundary of our behavior. We limit our freedom out of love.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

Amen, this is a big problem in the church today. There is too much focus on the flesh and how we find fault with others than loving and bearing with each others faults.

Boolit Grand Master

Knowledge has it's appropriate place, without very smart people we would not have the accurate translations of the Scripture that we do have. It is knowledge without love, without humility, that puffs up and creates overweening pride. And yes, we see that in the Church today all to often. I am in a Church with at least 11 doctorates, (we pull from Regent University), but anyone walking in would not know that. Some of the students who come are amazed to see their professor sitting in the pew, but that quickly fades.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

The problem I am seeing are preachers being motivational speakers and not stepping on toes and make you evaluate your attitude toward God and His teachings....A great post!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan