MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 45 auto hammer bite

1911 45 auto hammer bite

I always wanted one so when a pristine 1983 made Colt Commander came around, I traded 2 collector's guns for it straight across.
    First thing I did was work up a load for it.
    Mixed brass, SAECO #68 230 gr rn, 5.0 gr ww231, Federal primers.
    Every round is gauged before it goes into the ammo can.
    Test fired 5 rounds...looked good....loaded and test fired 10-15 rounds.... everything functions fine. Loaded 1000 rounds.
    Old Chinese saying: "......always load a few and test before starting the ammo factory going"....go ahead....ask me why I always test fire fair number before loading a ton.
    Today I fired around 50 rounds. Everything functioned fine, but this gun gives a great example of hammer bite.
    Love the gun and I expect to shoot the daylights out of this gun.
    I need a beavertail safety.
    Any recommendations and experience?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I have done past a few on Springfield Inc.'s, the Colt not sure on which radius you will need. What I do know is if you do it or someone else, make sure they understand the internal fitting required along with making it look good outside. That's where stainless pieces comes in nice, do whatever and then blast- brand new!

Boolit Buddy

I installed a Wilson wide beavertail safety on my Colt Combat Commander many years ago.. Still one of my favorite go to shooten irons. No hammer bite!

Vendor Sponsor

I truly favor the original WWII GI 45 wide flanged hammer, standard gov't issue, and it pairs very well with the longer GI grip safety, the gun will sit about 90% as low as a custom fitted beavertail, the GI 45 doesn't give up much here and the gun can stay original, save those Commander parts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AO Commander.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	676.0 KB 
ID:	319424
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

After 45 years and 10’s of thousands of rounds with my 1911, I’ve developed a callous in the web between my thumb and forefinger of my right hand. Even though, I still get pinched and it bleeds after every range session …. I love it (yeah, I’m weird that way ).
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have found that when shooting a 1911 with beavertail saftey I shoot with my thumb on the saftey (high thumb) But if I am shooting a traditional 1911 I have to use a low thumb ( thumb on middle finger) to escape hammer bite. Little things can be important sometimes. GW

I’ve never been bitten by the rowel Commander hammer.
    The 1911 hammer-yes. The 1911A1 hammer- sometimes.

Boolit Master
    You sure it’s not just the grip safety wearing a hole in you? I think we must practice a higher grip than shooters in the past.

Boolit Master
    I've never had the issue either, but, my hands are long and thin. FIL had shorter, fatter hand and was bit all the time.

I do like the feel of the beavertail better than the original. Feels like I can lock my hand in better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I've never had the issue either, but, my hands are long and thin. FIL had shorter, fatter hand and was bit all the time.

I do like the feel of the beavertail better than the original. Feels like I can lock my hand in better.
    I've never been bitten by a Commander hammer, but the wide-spur hammer gets me every time, even with the long GI-style grip safety. I have a nice group of scars on that part of my hand. I recommend an Ed Brown grip safety, or one that uses the same .250" radius. Wilsons use a proprietary radius; same with their sights - they use a proprietary dovetail dimension. Using the same radius as Ed Brown gives you many more choices. Then as stated above, find someone who knows how to fit one properly. DO NOT use a drop-in beavertail grip safety! They look like hammered dog****. Realize that a reblue will be required after fitting a beavertail grip safety.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 10-30-2023 at 06:13 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Wilson grip safety. The one installed on my pre-Series 70 Commander required only minimal fitting.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    I never got bit when I shot my buddies Commander, but I got bit a lot when shooting issued 1911A1's.

When I got issued my own .45, I couldn't install a beavertail grip safety, armorer or not. What I did was put a flat mainspring housing on my carry gun. No more hammer bite even with the issued hammer and grip safety.

Thirty years later, I still run a flat mainspring housing by preference.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

I have a dozen or so 1911's Also have "big galoute" hands. Always have to donate blood when shooting my WW I 1911 Colt made in 1917. For that reason I just look at it. The Colt Commander is my favorite go to 1911. That Wilson wide beavertail safety makes it a cream puff to shoot. The Wilson requires very little fitting. Ray Charles could fit it up!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commander1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	319446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commander2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	319447

My 1911 hammer bite journey...condensed.

Started with this one, a WW I 1911. After a couple of dozen shots it made the blood run. I installed a Commander hammer, and it still bites me.

Name:	IM002101.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	319457

Next, a Para Ordnance P-13. I installed a beaver tail safety using an Ed Brown button-type jig. It mounts in the frame's safety hole and you just file off everything that sticks out. Pretty slick, but as noted in a post above, it did require rebluing. It doesn't bite at all. Very accurate pistol, but sort of ugly. It's sterling performance outweighs its appearance, so I keep it.

Name:	IM001950.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	319458

Another attempt dating to just a couple of years ago, a Rock Island 1911. Bad biter, but I had just one of several King's Gunsight drop in beaver tails left from my gunsmithing career. I installed it, and it lessened the problem, but I still got nipped sometimes, so I judiciously ground down the rear of the hammer until the problem went away. I was about to send this pistol off to the auction awhile back, but decided that the (currently) $400 it might bring in wasn't worth the value of a good 1911-- so I kept it!

Name:	IM005841.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	319459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005842.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	319460

DG

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    My 1911 hammer bite journey...condensed.

Started with this one, a WW I 1911. After a couple of dozen shots it made the blood run. I installed a Commander hammer, and it still bites me.

Name:	IM002101.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	319457

Next, a Para Ordnance P-13. I installed a beaver tail safety using an Ed Brown button-type jig. It mounts in the frame's safety hole and you just file off everything that sticks out. Pretty slick, but as noted in a post above, it did require rebluing. It doesn't bite at all. Very accurate pistol, but sort of ugly. It's sterling performance outweighs its appearance, so I keep it.

Name:	IM001950.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	319458

Another attempt dating to just a couple of years ago, a Rock Island 1911. Bad biter, but I had just one of several King's Gunsight drop in beaver tails left from my gunsmithing career. I installed it, and it lessened the problem, but I still got nipped sometimes, so I judiciously ground down the rear of the hammer until the problem went away. I was about to send this pistol off to the auction awhile back, but decided that the (currently) $400 it might bring in wasn't worth the value of a good 1911-- so I kept it!

Name:	IM005841.jpg 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	319459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005842.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	319460

DG
    That's an early Rock Island, and I think they are way nicer than the ones they sell today. The lettering on the slide looks really nice rather than the cheap looking tiny emblem on the current ones. Was yours USA made? I remember when they first came out, they actually stated in ads that the pistols would be made in the USA. You ever want to let it go give me a holler!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Thanks, FergusonT035. It says "Made in the Philippines" but it does seem to be an early one and of high quality. I'll keep you in mind, but for now I'm going to hold onto it.

DG

Boolit Master

Although I haven’t really analyzed the cause, I’ve noticed the 1911s I own that do bite have a narrow grip safety / standard beaver tail. I’ve briefly considered fitting a Wilson extended g safety to them but both would require altering the frame, which would diminish their value.
    My solution was to cut the cut the fingers and thumb off the right hand of an old leather dress glove. Wearing it doesn’t completely eliminate bruising but I can send fifty rounds down range without a transfusion.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Thanks, FergusonT035. It says "Made in the Philippines" but it does seem to be an early one and of high quality. I'll keep you in mind, but for now I'm going to hold onto it.

DG
    I totally understand, just gimme a holler if that changes!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

DG, does your Ballester Riguad/Molina .45 bite you?
    Mine did until I took 1/8” off of the hammer spur- no more bite.

Yes! No....maybe someday. Two band aids, one on top of the other helps a lot.

DG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast