WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Posen warren motor drive

Boolit Bub

Posen warren motor drive

When I bought my 1050 dillon (used) it came with a posen drive. I fooled around with it a few times but never really liked it.Well my old man arm hurt the last time I reloaded with my dillon figured see if I can get the posen set up properly. Well I just finished running 500 38 specials. I'm impressed. I don't think it's much faster then cranking it by hand but it's no slower and my arms happy with it. I loaded swc and you still get the rocking some time of the tip, Of course the problem with that is the motor drive just crushs the brass when that happens but if you keep a close eye on it you just stop it and line the tip up and away you go. So I don't know what a drive is worth since it came with the press but I am impressed and my arms happy. Bill

Boolit Master
    I hear you on the old man arms, and arthritic fingers. I figured my LEE single stage would be good enough for a long, long time, but recent reloading sessions are making me wonder.

Boolit Bub
    I load almost all handgun rounds on it since I shoot around 600-750 rounds a week. I actually enjoy loading it manually but like you said about the fingers and arms. I'm 74 and not going to quit shooting or for that matter reloading so had to make an adjustment. I was lucky that I had the drive and since I don't expect to get younger I guess I'll be using the motor drive.

I added a PLC to mine and tied into the low primer and powder check alarms.

It will load 1000 rounds for me in 52 minutes, just have to keep the collators full.

Boolit Bub
    It can be fast no doubt about it. I'm not really a fast guy so I don't keep track. I have a primer alarm as well as a dillon powder check (I kicked my double alpha to the curb). The real only pain is with powder coated swc they can fall over as the machine rotates so slows me down a little.

Boolit Master
    "Slow but sure is my steady pace, a motto for the human race" Author unknown.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Bub
    I actually enjoy loading on my single stage press's better then the dillon. But when you shoot as often as I try and do it's hard to make enough to allow you to shoot like I like to do. So the dillon does all the common rounds and if I have anything that doesn't need as many rounds it's the singe stage. I feel like I turn out a better bullet doing it on the single stage.

Boolit Bub
    Well I finished loading my 38 specials. Sorta kept track to see how many I was doing an hour. Man you're doing a thousand in52 minutes I'm not even close to that number (not that it's a race) I can't imagine doing that many. I'm happy with my 2-300 and hour even if i'm little league compared to what you're doing

The Posness/Warren drive is very interesting; I've often thought of using an electric servo or pneumatic cylinder to activate a single stage press for sizing rifle cases.

Boolit Bub
    Mine sat unused for a couple years tried it once or twice but your're right very neat idea, but I always felt why, really not required as I didn't mind pulling the handle and felt like I was part of the process. My arm started to bother me when I loaded so thought I better give it another try. Impression after a couple thousand rounds. Really great idea for an old man. I really miss the handle and feeling like I'm part of the process. Other then that it's really a kick ass setup. Takes a bit more concentration when running but if you want lots of ammo this is a very good setup. I should have mentioned it has a bullet feeder and a powder check with a double alpha seating crimping die since my powder check takes up one on the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The Posness/Warren drive is very interesting; I've often thought of using an electric servo or pneumatic cylinder to activate a single stage press for sizing rifle cases.
    That thought crossed my mind too and I threw this together.

I also motorized an inverted breechlock and added a shuttle feed for the bullets that operates by the base of the ram (so the press remains unmodified) for bullet sizing.

Boolit Bub
    Thats pretty damn cool, hats off