WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible to stretch revolver brass?

I apologize: I was referring to my experiences with standard .357 and .44 magnum Redding die sets only, and my problem, if any, it was exactly the opposite, with brass used in S&W cylinder chambers_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    V iagra might work.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    I'll try to shoot them e few times more to see if they stretch. The Redding dual ring sizer almost doesn't work the brass at all, I really like them for case longevity. The regular sizer might be a different story.
    I had another thought, what if I partially size the cases with a .44-40 sizer, which has a bottle neck? With a relatively high pressure reload, it should make the brass flow forward a little. Is there any risk by doing this?
    It should be perfectly safe, as the brass will expand to the size of the chamber walls at the beginning of the pressure curve. No different than ironing out a dent. It may cause the brass to flow more, but I don't think it will. I expect annealing the brass will yield the best results.

I will say that the brass should have a considerable ability to stretch. I have seen 9mm that was shot in a .40 S&W pistol where the brass has stretched out to fill the chamber without splitting.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    There are BPCR shooters that routinely stretch some rifle cases before loading them. I believe that this is done with some .45-110 chamberings.
    I'm not certain of the details, so I would recommend asking those folks about this. The best solution for you, as I see it, is to trim all of your brass to a uniform length.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12