Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to stretch revolver brass?

Boolit Buddy

Possible to stretch revolver brass?

Hi,
    I have some FA headstamped .454 Casull brass, and some of the cases are a little short. I don't want to trim all of my cases to match the short cases, so I was wondering if there is a way to make them a little longer, around .015" should be sufficient. I know there are some case stretching jigs etc., but it seems a bit excessive for just a handful of cases. So any good ideas would be appreciated.

Be careful. Some of these guys may send you out for the elusive brass stretcher.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Be careful. Some of these guys may send you out for the elusive brass stretcher.
    Sounds intriguing, what is the brass stretcher?

Boolit Grand Master

Possible yes. Worth the effort and cost for your application only you can answer that. Commonly done for BPCR cases.

some methods here:

http://texas-mac.com/Stretching_Shor...R_Chamber.html

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16724
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2023 at 02:20 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Not too sure about straight wall cases, but bottleneck brass will stretch with use. Maybe just segregate the short ones and shoot them a few times to see if they get longer.

Wayne

PS: I suppose you could try inserting a close-fitting wooden dowel, and peening the brass lightly with a hammer, but I'm not sure what that would do to the strength of the brass in a high-pressure cartridge.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    Sounds intriguing, what is the brass stretcher?
    It's kind of like when the guys send you to get some post holes.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Or 100yds of Flight Line...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    It's kind of like when the guys send you to get some post holes.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    I have spent too much money on blinker oil at my local mechanic to be fooled.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Possible yes. Worth the effort and cost for your application only you can answer that. Commonly done for BPCR cases.

some methods here:

http://texas-mac.com/Stretching_Shor...R_Chamber.html

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16724
    I was actually looking into the Tim Smith-Lyon’s Case Stretcher, but it seems to be made for 45-caliber rifle only. But making something similar for the slightly smaller diameter of .454 Casull might work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Not too sure about straight wall cases, but bottleneck brass will stretch with use. Maybe just segregate the short ones and shoot them a few times to see if they get longer.

Wayne

PS: I suppose you could try inserting a close-fitting wooden dowel, and peening the brass lightly with a hammer, but I'm not sure what that would do to the strength of the brass in a high-pressure cartridge.
    They are fired in Freedom Arms guns, and they have pretty tight chambers. I have not seen that the cases stretch much, but I could try to fire the same cases a dozen times to see of there is any change in length. If I size with the Dillon sizing die it should work the brass more.
    Last edited by Humbo; 10-29-2023 at 03:52 PM.

I've experienced case stretching when firing full house loads in 357 magnum and 44 magnum. Clean chambers and clean brass will cause the brass to grab the chamber walls and stretch. Annealing the mouths will help, so will firing it in a lever gun that has a bit looser chamber.

I've grown the occasional starline case a few thousands merely by sizing them, belling, and sizing them again. I put them in the batch and didn't keep track of them upon subsequent loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    I have actually tried that, excessive belling and then sizing the brass. Unfortunately I have not seen any change in length. I could try to anneal them and give them a few firings to see if that will lengthen them some.

Boolit Master
    After you shoot pistol brass (straight wall cases) they get shorter. When you size them they get longer. Are your “short brass” sized or not?

Boolit Grand Master

Remember there is only a set amount of brass in a case, Stretching it will have to make it thinner some where in the body / head area
    If your cases have a chanulere in them a snug fitting stem in the sizing die might get you what you need by ironing it out.

Boolit Buddy
    All cases are fully resized before measuring them. Dillon dies seem to work the brass the most, so I tried to size the short cases with that die. I usually use Redding dual ring dies.

If you seat and crimp in separate steps, I'd just take the short ones and adjust the die body for more crimp. Just keep track of your seater setting and original die body setting. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    That could be a solution as well.

size them first, seat and crimp in separate steps, following the resulting height,
    load full .454 charges, shoot _ the next time you'll have quite grown cases to resize with Redding_ my Redding sizers are quite tight, indeed_ next you should be able to trim them all at the same desired length_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try to shoot them e few times more to see if they stretch. The Redding dual ring sizer almost doesn't work the brass at all, I really like them for case longevity. The regular sizer might be a different story.
    I had another thought, what if I partially size the cases with a .44-40 sizer, which has a bottle neck? With a relatively high pressure reload, it should make the brass flow forward a little. Is there any risk by doing this?

Boolit Master
    IF YOUR CONCERN is inconsistent crimp due to case length variance you might contact Lee and inquire about getting a custom made collet crimp die. I use these on my .357 mag and .41 mag and you can get a good solid crimp even with minor variances in case length. Plus the case mouth is less prone to cracking, at least in my experience. I’d set the seating depth so that both the longest and shortest piece of brass both seat in the cannelure if possible and then set the collet crimper as tight as needed to prevent bullet movement during recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast