WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Wax paper patching?

Boolit Mold

Wax paper patching?

Has anyone tried paper patching using wax paper? I have had great success with my 3-45/70's and a Lee cast mini bullet! The bullet is identical to a Lyman mold, with a hollow base, a cast weight of 282 grains (+-) and mics out to .446"! The only difference is the Lyman mold is steel, which I prefer and the meplat on the Lyman bullet is noticeably wider! Both have lube groves but I do not use them! The wax paper mics out at .001" so a 1" wide patch cut to give it 4 wraps around the bullet brings the dia up to .458! I might be cutting the patches a bit longer for 5 wraps as I am at work (night shift) so my memory is a bit cloudy! The hollow base of both molds allows you to twist the tails and press them into the base, leaving an almost flush base! After patching, I like to use a heat gun or set the bullets on the wood stove on a tray to heat them, causing the waxpaper to bond together. I only use smokeless powders and load them up to about 1600 fps (sorry! Have not had time to crono!) but accuracy is about 1 1/2" at 100yds with light recoil! Bystanders are impressed with the cloud of wax paper at each shot! No leading at all in any of my babies! I am rural with no long range matches in my area so I load for hunting and plinking and these loads take me back about 150 years to simpler times! I will be trying these out on the local whitetails in about a week!
    Sorry! Did not see the Smokeless paper patching thread! If a moderator could move my post the the proper thread, that would be fine by me!
    Last edited by Crustyshooter; 10-29-2023 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Did not see the Smokeless paper patching thread!

Boolit Master

I have tried wax paper in smokeless loads I did not stick with it I forget the reason why . I do remember why I gave up on Teflon tape it allowed terrible leading of my bore .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Have not used Wax Paper; but have used Parchment Paper from Costco with some success.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used what was called press and seal it was like plastic wrap I would lube the bullet 58 cal and set it on a piece of this press and seal twist the top so the bottom and sides were smooth I don't remember having any problems with it and I liked wow there was no lube mess.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As long as you don’t have any problems with the paper unwinding before you load them and you are getting good results, why not? I found that when the moist paper drys, it shrinks, keeping the wraps together.