RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison Hunt

Boolit Master

Bison Hunt

Back in the spring I posted a thread looking for a place to hunt a Bison. I just got back from that hunt and my Godson and I both got a Bison with BPCRs, lead bullet, Black Powder and iron sights. Both rifles were 40-65 and neither animal went further than 25yds before piling up.
    This was a canned hunt but we did have to stalk for awhile and then wait for a shot that wouldn't hit an unintended critter. Both shots were under 125yd which I had set for my max and both shots took out the heart.
    My Godson was shooting a Shilo Sharps and I was shooting an 1874 Swedish Roller that was restocked and re-barreled to 40-65.
    I tried to post a pic of my Buff but it wouldn't come through for some reason. The rifle picture and the freezer full of meat went through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buffalo Hunt 064.jpg   Buffalo Hunt 063.jpg   71' Rolling Block 002.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice man. I'm jealous. Any info on what happened to the boolit ?

Excellent, I am jealous as well! Perfect rifle as well! I can likely only dream of such an experience? Nice going. hc18flyer

That's great.

The freezer reminds me of a interview with a lady that her & her husband lived off the grid up North, and he'd killed a moose.
    "All winter: we had moose steaks, moose roast, moose pizza, moose spaghetti, moose chili, moose burgers,
    sweet & sour moose, moose sausage, BBQ moose ribs, moose fried rice, moose stew, moose & beans,
    moose sandwiches, and for snacks we had moose jerky".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brasshog View Post
    Very nice man. I'm jealous. Any info on what happened to the boolit ?
    Both were complete pass through s. The boolit was a 20-1 lead tin at 405gr. The exit hole on my cow was pretty big.

"Excellent, I am jealous as well! Perfect rifle as well! I can likely only dream of such an experience? Nice going. hc18flyer"
    It was a bucket list thing for me as well, but at 77 I probably won't get too many more chances so I bit the bullet so to speak.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's great.

The freezer reminds me of a interview with a lady that her & her husband lived off the grid up North, and he'd killed a moose.
    "All winter: we had moose steaks, moose roast, moose pizza, moose spaghetti, moose chili, moose burgers,
    sweet & sour moose, moose sausage, BBQ moose ribs, moose fried rice, moose stew, moose & beans,
    moose sandwiches, and for snacks we had moose jerky".
    LOL Since my wife passed a couple years back That will be my diet for the coming year although I can help some friends out and slip some chicken in there.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Looks like the start of many good meals.

Thanks for sharing that.
    It's a hunt that dreams are made of for sure.

The only thing I didn't like about hunting when I was still out there slaughtering helpless wildlife,
    and doing all my own processing- When that critter hit the ground, the fun was sort of over.
    At least until the next trip came along.......
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Where did you hunt?

Banner Sponsor

Excellent job

Boolit Master
    I’ve always felt the .40 caliber BP rifles are underrated. This is proof what they can do with a well placed shot.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent eating right there.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Boz, dude, you are living my dream. I have a Swede roller rebarreled and chambered to .44-77 that I have yet to fully finish and shoot, but would dearly love to take a meat bison. The prices even for yearling "harvest hunts" have gone through the roof since I first started looking at them a dozen or more years ago. Gets spendier when you factor in a new freezer, hair-on hide tanning and cleaning the skull.

Boolit Master

Awesome!! What did the Bison weigh? How much meat dressed out? I have recently purchased a Springfield 1873 Trapdoor and have been working on a Whitetail Deer load. Your results give me confidence that a well-placed shot will do the job in my restricted range of 100-150 yards. Thanks for sharing your excellent hunt.

Boolit Master

We hunted at High Adventure Ranch in the Missouri Ozarks, some really beautiful country especially with the fall color change.
    They didn't have a way to weigh the animals but estimated about 1000lbs with 350lbs of meat. The freezer in the picture is the size of a full size refrigerator, not sure of the cubic feet. The meat filled 3 good size coolers and while I could pick them up it was easier with 2 people. The contract called for 2 to 3 year old animals. Just the hide from my cow was all I wanted to pick up.

I bought that Freezer in 1983 USED. Not really sure when it was made. It was in a flood in 1989. I defrost it every 10 years, whether it needs it or not. Says a lot about how they made things back then. It might use more electricity than the new ones but you don't have to replace it every 3 to 5 years.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Remington way back when put the hurt on the 40-70 as a bit light for Buffalo. All they had to do was up the bullet weight from 330 to 370. Worked for the 40-90/

Just a general FYI guideline: I have found in the butchering of 2 bison and multiple steers that I get (as boned meat) 40% of live weight.
    This is a general guideline that several butchers I have worked with agree to as being reasonable, and FWIW, works personally for me on WT Deer too.

Congrats on your hunt, I have enjoyed several times 'watching large animals fall down quickly' as well.

I think I remember that you had inquired earlier this year here for places to hunt bison.
    Very glad you enjoyed what you booked, and were able to share the experience w/ your own family members.

BTW: Generally you can get photos to be small enough to post here by simply using the editing/cropping tool on your PC.
    Last edited by TurnipEaterDown; 10-30-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Master

The actual Buffalo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bob's Buff 002.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    The actual Buffalo.
    I've never been that fortunate to hunt bison, moose, or elk. WTG!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations! Next step find some good bison recipes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast