RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 30-40 Krag manual loads well below factory specs

Boolit Buddy

30-40 Krag manual loads well below factory specs

The Speer manuals and some others show max loads well below the 2,430 fps factory loadings for 180 gr. Like 2,118 fps for 3031. Is this because of weaker early rifle actions?

Lyman runs 3031 up to 2,408 with a charge 3 grains (about 10%) over the Speer max load. In a Ruger No. 3, is there any reason not to go up to the Lyman loads?

If you chronograph some 30-40 Krag factory loads, they are probably closer to 2200 fps.
    In the #3 Ruger 30-40, you can surpass the .308 Winchester if you feel the need to.
    My first 30-40 had a Siamese Mauser action so I did that(More Power…)
    Later I got a 98 Springfield and discovered the real 30-40 Krag. I see now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough information, tacotime, on what rifle you've got or what your goal is. When it comes down to the old, original US military Krag rifles, you want to remember that the last of them was made in 1903, and many date back to 1898, '96' and even '94--- so the youngest is 120 years old. They were, and still are a fine rifle, but some allowance should be made for their age. I have several, and load them with 3031 and 4895, but at 1,900 to 2,000 fps. velocities. Like Tex says (above) there are other rifles like the Ruger #3 or .30-40 sporters built on Mauser actions that can use maximum loads. The military Krag has only one locking lug, although the bolt handle acts as a safety lug on the '96 and later models, and the single lug has been known to develop cracks if hot loads are used. All and all, in my opinion, one of the best game cartridges ever developed. Using the 220 gr. SP bullet there isn't much it won't kill.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger No. 3 and the goal is an accurate load that is adequate for feral hogs, so assuming near factory speed is likely.

Boolit Master
    In my #3 a 150gr Speer RN backed by 44 grs of IMR 4064 produces 2550 fps per my chrono. Use these for deer and have had excellent results. Not near my old Alliant handout but it had data for both 150 and 180 gr bullets with pressure data. Might be somewhere ln the stickies as a pdf file. I could load a good bit above this level but have not seen the need to do so. IIRC the Lyman 45th edition had data for a factory duplication load with the 180 gr bullet, you might search that out as well.

Boolit Master
    If you want .30-40 heavy load data, look for an old Hodgdon manual, #25 or #26, maybe both (mine isn't handy at the moment). It has "Ruger #3 only" data, approximately .308 ballistics. I've had two #3s and tried some of the heavier loads in one of them. Recoil can become quite unpleasant in the Ruger.

The problem with the #3 .30-40 I had with the factory barrel was the chamber was over size. Especially the neck. I ended up using .312 bullets. The one I have now has a Green Mountain barrel with 11.25 twist and an in spec chamber that works good with .309 sized powder coated bullets. The #3 action can easily handle pressures that will get a 180 grain bullet going 2400 fps.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    When I had a #3, I got very good accuracy with cast bullets of ww alloy sized in a .311" die. Actual sized diameter was .3105". Same size I still use for all .30 caliber cartridges.