RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Ames Hardness tester Model 1 - can it be used for lead alloy ?

Ames Hardness tester Model 1 - can it be used for lead alloy ?

I picked this up about 20 years ago at a factory auction and finally broke it out and tried using it.
    Not sure if I'm doing it right.
    The reading are correct when I use the test samples that come with it, steel that measures at 34 C
    When I use it on linotype that should be around it comes out under 0 - that's not right !

Anyone have any experience with this unit ?

(and why isn't the photo upload working ? )
    I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

This unit - and this is exactly how I'm doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggtbhcieos

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Boolit Grand Master

You will need a H or L Hardness Testing Ball penetrator. Normally you also need a standard to calibrate. The C-scale diamond points don't work on something as soft as lead.

https://amesportablehardnesstesters....on-Chart-1.pdf

https://amesportablehardnesstesters....d-penetrators/

https://amesportablehardnesstesters....-instructions/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-27-2023 at 01:39 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

M-Tecs - Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately not the solution I wanted. $250 for the 1/8 penetrator ?? NOPE, not happening.

This is going up for sale on one of the forging sites where they can use it with the two penetrators I have, diamond and 1/16ths ball

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I have one and use the following "Kave Mann" approach.

I remove the penetrator and put a 1/4" ball bearing into the opening of the shaft and carefully close it on my Lead sample.

Bring the dial to "SET" and with a stopwatch, bring the load up to 60 Kg and hold for 30 seconds. You will need to keep turning the load wheel to maintain the 60 Kg.

Now, Google Brinell Calculator and insert the diameter of the ball, 6.35mm, the load, 60 Kg, and diameter of the indent in the Lead.

However, the general rule is that the combination of test load and ball diameter should be such that the diameter of the indentation lies within the range of 25–60% of the ball diameter.

Helpful hint from one of the websites...

However, the general rule is that the combination of test load and ball diameter should be such that the diameter of the indentation lies within the range of 25–60% of the ball diameter.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
    M-Tecs - Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately not the solution I wanted. $250 for the 1/8 penetrator ?? NOPE, not happening.

This is going up for sale on one of the forging sites where they can use it with the two penetrators I have, diamond and 1/16ths ball
    I am not sure why Ames is so proud of their penetrators. As the above post indicates you have low-cost options. That would be an easy one to make.

I am committed with other projects but after the first of the year I can make one for you for the cost postage.

I use a Wilson Junior Hardness Tester. It works great for testing lead with the proper penetrators and load. Penetrators for those are cheap on eBay and Amazon.

If you do decide to sell it watch eBay prices for actual value.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-27-2023 at 09:17 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I am not sure why Ames is so proud of their penetrators. As the above post indicates you have low-cost options. That would be an easy one to make.

I am committed with other projects but after the first of the year I can make one for you for the cost postage.

I use a Wilson Junior Hardness Tester. It works great for testing lead with the proper penetrators and load. Penetrators for those are cheap on eBay and Amazon.

If you do decide to sell it watch eBay prices for actual value.
    Wow, that is very generous (this whole place is amazing)

Sold For prices for this exact model are all over the place