Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: CVA Accura MR-X .45 cal Boolits

CVA Accura MR-X .45 cal Boolits

I have on order a new model CVA Accura MR-X .45 cal rifle. I also have ordered a LEE SC MOLD 450-294M IMPROVED MINIE 45 CAL mold. This boolit has a hollow base and I'm hoping will do well in the 1-22 twist Bergara bbl. I'm planning on using loose Triple Seven as a propellant. My question would be in casting these boolits, if I should go a bit harder than soft lead with the maybe faster spin and velocity soft enough for the skirt to flare to grab the rifling's. I do plan on shooting some saboted or skirted boolits but would like it if I could get away from the plastic. I've watched a bunch of video testing this gun and it has great accuracy with a variety of loads.

Boolit Master
    I shoot pure lead in all of mine............ I have 4 - .45 cal cartridge guns;.461 diameter bullets, 3 - .50 cal inline, I shoot heavy bullets, 500 gr or bigger, in all, all shoot very accurate out to 1000 yds..... All at 1200 FPS. This is what I do, and it works for me....

Boolit Master
    1:22 is a really fast twist for a Minie bullet design. It is suited more for solid slugs and would probably do well with 400gn stuff. Think .45-70 type loads.

I got the 50 calibler and use 45 cal slugs in sabots out of it. I tried REAL's as i used on the other one with the old style deep rifling and they just stripped out. Maybe a harder lead or powder coat might help the modern style rifling grab the bullet better.

Boolit Master
    Your problem is likely to much speed as others have stated , it's a muzzle loader not a center fire . Keep it under 1300fps and use sights to compensate for drop and pure lead does exactly what it needs to due (kill stuff) with the rather deadliest mushroom in the woods ! /Ed

I watched a video that the guy was shooting a CVA like the one I'm getting and he tried the LEE Improved Minnie and it didn't work to well. He was getting fantastic groups with a LEE .459-500gr grain Boolit that he sized to .454. Now that boolit has a flat base and I'm not sure how he got the thing to grab the rifling unless it was soft enough to bump when fired. At 50 yards three shots were touching. I would like to see a 100yd group. His load was 65 grains of Home made BP. I think he was getting just over 1200 fps.

Boolit Master
    If you use soft bullets they 'bump' just fine as long as the load is heavy enough.

Commercial stuff I like the Hornady Great Plains bullets and I size them to bore dia. Card wad, lubed felt wad, bullet. 100gn powder in a .50cal. Cast I use the Lee .50 cal bullet made for the S&W. But, I size and paper patch them.