RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 or 300 BO

Boolit Master

223 or 300 BO

Hey I am preparing to start lightning the load . Which of these would you keep for yourself. I like the 223 with Barnes for deer but the 300BO just seems like a strong hitter in close encounters, I need to let one go.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Hey I am preparing to start lightning the load . Which of these would you keep for yourself. I like the 223 with Barnes for deer but the 300BO just seems like a strong hitter in close encounters, I need to let one go.
    I’d never be without a 223. For me the use case is different for them. I don’t hunt with either.

Boolit Grand Master

What platforms?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I like the 300 BLK better than 223 in the AR 15 platform however if ammo becomes an issue than the 223 will be around before the BLK.

I kept the .223 and let the .300 BO go.
    Then I got a 6.8…..
    Still have .223s- it’s a handy cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well here is my 2 cents with some change...... spend how you will.

I would rather toss 30 cal then a glorified 22 any day. I sit at the bench popping off a few 223/556 on some smaller steel plates. Bing bing bing. Then I wack it with a medium pace 300 BLK and BONGGGGGGGGG. Target swings all over. Well that was my 2 cents...

Now for the change..... if the gun you need to part with is an AR style platform then I would say either upper can be had for 200 bucks now and days so is it really worth parting with.

I for some reason like the 300BLK better than the 5.56. Heck even less powder than the 223.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I prefer the 300 because it shoots cast boolits or jacketed equally well and as noted above with less powder. I have a .223 upper which doesn't see much use these days.

Boolit Grand Master

When/if the SHTF, it is a better choice for many reasons. For plinking and putting holes in paper who cares?

I have other calibers for cast bullets so that use is covered.
    Don Verna

Keep the BO. Cheaper and better for any close range stuff. I got a 22lr for real cheap shooting.
    Whatever!

Keep them both…..the feeling will pass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    Keep them both…..the feeling will pass
    Been doing that all my life and noe push has come to shove!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

When/if the SHTF, it is a better choice for many reasons. For plinking and putting holes in paper who cares?

I have other calibers for cast bullets so that use is covered.
    im with don. with the world like it is id feel naked without a 556 ar. ive got 3 bo ars and a ruger american. but the jacketed bullets for it is limited and i know this is a cast site but it took alot of farting around to find cast loads that are both reliable and accurate and the 556 is even worse. then add do you plan on making bo cases if shtf? they arent cheap to buy either. 556 is everywhere you can buy a 1000 ball bullets for the 556 for a 100 bucks your not finding anything bulk and cheap for the bo. now it were deer hunting and no other worries the bo is just better. especially with the barnes tsx thats made for it. i shot 6 deer in two days with that bullet out of my 16" ar from 75 yards out to 225. probably average of a 150 yards. 5 of the 6 were drt and one made two leaps and piled up. massive internal damage and an exit. ive seen 06 loads do less damage. if given a choice on a talking target id take the bo loaded like that in a heartbeat but who can afford to load a couple thousand of them??? not me. pretty much a no brainer. im not a cheerleader for the bo for deer or talking targets past 200 yards and if that was a concern id keep my hamr or grendel over either of them without hesitation at least if needed i could stretch it out to 300 with them. but all that said anyone that doesnt have at least one 556 ar in this crazy world is one of the crazys

IMO the Blackout is more fun but the .223 should stay.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Ive shot deer/hogs and many many smaller critters with my .223 owned a 7.62x39mm for awhile,a good boltaction one,very similar to 300bo no matter how you look at the two,they are very similar projectile weights going very similar speeds.
    the 223 stayed and the other one on sold...... poke a 50-55grn barnes into a deers chest and its going nowhere. they are usually very accurate,cheap to feed and fun to use.
    at under 100 yards the heavier bullet was better option or if shots were at tricky angle etc but the .223 soon over takes it with better accuracy and flatter trajectory.

Boolit Master

I had both ARs. Now I have just the .300 BO. I figure that if I really need a .223, I can simply buy another upper. Besides, I have a contender carbine in .223.

Boolit Buddy
    I sold the 300BO, as it does nothing the 30-30 or x39 can't do, and is just as effective at 50 yds as a PCC. Keep the 223.

Boolit Master
    Saw a very similar post on another forum and liked one of the replies.

Guy said keep the gun in 5.56/223 as ammo will be all over the place on dead bodies if SHTF. Next guy said sell both guns since ammo will be all over the place on them dead bodies, when SHTF. So will AR's in 5.56/223 and 300BO.

Just thought it was funny how different people look at things.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Never shot a 223 until couple mo. ago. Nothing special but the gun did blow up. Guess I'm one of the crazys. At my age, they will get ammo off my dead body.
    Whatever!

If you can't afford both, you can't afford neither one.

Vendor Sponsor

I wanted a close quarters, quick and easy to handle 30 caliber with 30rd magazines, comparable energy to that of a 1911 45acp but didn't want the x39 platform. I never liked the 5.56 bullet. Can't hunt in a lot of states with a 5.56.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast