Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition and component shortage: Regional reports? Thoughts.

Ammunition and component shortage: Regional reports? Thoughts.

Plenty of chatter lately about an impending shortage.

Contributing factors reportedly include: primers shortages, the Hornady plant kaboom, foreign acquisition of a large percentage of domestic manufacturers, the US government consuming the entirety of. 556 produced at the lake city ammunition plant, and the most important consideration in my opinion, our vile political leadership doing their best to create WWIII.

My local sporting goods outlets have decent stock, as of a couple days ago. I even found the first large rifle primers I've seen on shelves in 3 years; picked up a few thousand.

Prices seem to be up 25% in a matter of just a few days. There were somewhere around 75,000 small rifle primers at the main store I shop about 5 days ago. When I visited next, 3 days later, they were all gone.

It seems to me we're looking at protracted proxy wars on two fronts, at minimum. (Janet Yellen says you and I can afford it, so that's good, right?)

We're also potentially witnessing the infancy of WWIII, God help us all.

Here in NYS, it’s hard to gauge as of 9/13 one must go through a NYSP background check for ammo sales. The cost is $2.50 and a bit of time waiting. Many have bought their ammo previously or those near borders drive to free states to purchase. Components have been scarce for years( at least in my neighborhood) so it’s an online exercise.

Boolit Master
    Shawlerbrook is correct here in NYS ammo is getting hard to come bye. Heck walmart has claimed not once sale of ammo or gun since 9/13. Im still on the hunt three years later for large rifle and pistol primers.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

About a month ago I was at a local gunshop. They had a huge supply of 5.56 & 9mm. They figured it was a 6-month supply. As of this morning most of it was gone. Per them ammo was flying out the door yet gun sales were below average.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    About a month ago I was at a local gunshop. They had a huge supply of 5.56 & 9mm. They figured it was a 6-month supply. As of this morning most of it was gone. Per them ammo was flying out the door yet gun sales were below average.
    I think the general population has armed themselves with firearms over the last few years. When ammunition availability came back a bit, many relaxed their stockpiling efforts. Now the panic buying begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    I think the general population has armed themselves with firearms over the last few years. When ammunition availability came back a bit, many relaxed their stockpiling efforts. Now the panic buying begins.
    Credit card late fees are up nationwide.
    Doubt folks have money for ammo.............
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Demand is up. People are buying it.

Moderator Emeritus

I had mentioned that a week or somago my LGS was out of common ammo. 5.56, 9mm, 45, etc. I texted my buddies in Jersey and offered to teach them to shoot, etc. Not a peep. Oh well.

Banned

if you werent smart enough to stock up id sell some guns and do it fast. better to have 3 guns you can shoot than 15 you cant. i would guess from here on out ammo and components will be tough to find and expensive. i think the days of cheap shooting in any gun is over. so grit you teeth and pay a 100 bucks a sleave for primers even if theres 40 dollar shipping and hazmat added. next year at this time they might be 200 and possibly the only place you will get then is from a scalper that bought them to make money. first thing to go away will be 556 and 9mm because its the most used ammo in the country. it even effects someone like me thats very well stocked. i could shoot my ars or 9s 2 days a week for the rest of my life and leave the brass on the ground and never pull the handle on a press again. but i have to think about my grandkids and great grandkids because there's a good chance that ammo wont even be sold then. what good is having a bunch of ars and 40 rounds of ball so i conserve so they will have ammo. one things for sure this isnt the time to piss and moan about prices because 10 years from now youll be kicking yourself in the but for procrastinating.

Boolit Master

I was able to buy a brick of CCI small pistol primers for the first time in 3 years the other day. It was $80. I bought one. That's all I could afford two days before payday.

I have a few years worth now. I need to stockpile another 30 years worth to have a lifetime supply.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I have recently seen fuller shelves at stores but have not bought anything I am stocked up pretty good for now . I am looking at making my own percussion caps they are way over priced when available!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    2 weeks ago on sgammo you could buy 9mm for $230 for 1000 rounds and a little before that you could get Winchester 5.56 for $375 after rebate all with free shipping. I could buy agulia 9mm $12 for a box of 50 at the local farm store.

It's not the end of ammo availability. A new conflict started in the "Holy Land" so a bunch of people are stocking up for the "end of times". Just like any ammo shortage, if you don't stock up when ammo is cheap that is on you
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    2 weeks ago on sgammo you could buy 9mm for $230 for 1000 rounds and a little before that you could get Winchester 5.56 for $375 after rebate all with free shipping. I could buy agulia 9mm $12 for a box of 50 at the local farm store.

It's not the end of ammo availability. A new conflict started in the "Holy Land" so a bunch of people are stocking up for the "end of times". Just like any ammo shortage, if you don't stock up when ammo is cheap that is on you
    unless you cast your own bullets thats cheaper 9mm then you can make

Boolit Buddy
    As long as there is money to be made, the ammo will be flowing.

Boolit Master
    As long as people keep hyping up the ammo shortage it will become a self fulfilling prophecy…

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    As long as people keep hyping up the ammo shortage it will become a self fulfilling prophecy…
    What constitutes "hyping" ?

Boolit Master

The ammo and gun sales in the USA should improve.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...ys-2023-10-27/

WASHINGTON, Oct 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. has stopped issuing export licenses for most civilian firearms and ammunition for 90 days for all non-governmental users, the Commerce Department said on Friday, citing national security and foreign policy interests.

The Commerce Department did not provide further details for the pause, which also includes shotguns and optical sights, but said an urgent review will assess the "risk of firearms being diverted to entities or activities that promote regional instability, violate human rights, or fuel criminal activities."
    Canadians will be left with firearms and ammo in transit and the ammo that is on the shelves.
    Or the US government will honor the export licenses granted to those companies that export to Canada.
    What ever happens , ammo prices will go up here, so will component prices and guns.
    the operative word is "GOUGE"
    Last edited by 10x; 10-28-2023 at 09:10 AM.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

From central Western New York, halfway between the Bills and the Orangemen, a LGS reports 10 or 12 gun stores within a 50 mi. radius. have closed since Albany imposed a check with fee for ammo purchases. Our Governor has also made efforts to have neighboring states deny purchases to buyers with NY addresses. Recently, the Sherriff of Chataqua County was denied permission to purchase shotgun shells for a benefit trap shoot multiple times and the State insists their system is working.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    From central Western New York, halfway between the Bills and the Orangemen, a LGS reports 10 or 12 gun stores within a 50 mi. radius. have closed since Albany imposed a check with fee for ammo purchases. Our Governor has also made efforts to have neighboring states deny purchases to buyers with NY addresses. Recently, the Sherriff of Chataqua County was denied permission to purchase shotgun shells for a benefit trap shoot multiple times and the State insists their system is working.
    There is a word in the second amendment. It is "infringed".
    It is time for the NRA to step up and defend all gun owners in New York.
    A fee and background checks that limit or stop the law abiding is INFRINGED
    the Constitution is as the constitution is read by the common man.
    Judges swear an oath to uphold the Constitution of the USA. If they break that oath they remove themselves from the legal system - it is that simple.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    There is a word in the second amendment. It is "infringed".
    It is time for the NRA to step up and defend all gun owners in New York.
    A fee and background checks that limit or stop the law abiding is INFRINGED
    the Constitution is as the constitution is read by the common man.
    Judges swear an oath to uphold the Constitution of the USA. If they break that oath they remove themselves from the legal system - it is that simple.
    If only Political and Judicial Reality followed the Constitution in the USofA
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast