MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a gun that has killed someone?

Do you own a gun that has killed someone?

You often hear the phrase or seen a bumper sticker; "My gun has killed less people than Ted Kennedy's Car" (he's been sober now for over 20 years)

I was thinking about this, and only my military rifles may or may not be in this category, I wouldn't know but I would hope so.

Then I thought of retired police guns, probably very few police have even drawn theirs let alone taken a life.

But how about the relative that used a gun to end their own life. Often family will surrender the firearm when this happens.

What is your story?

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 old military rifles so I'd say there's a 1 in 3 chance of that...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Moderator Emeritus

Only if my Chinese Type 53 was used in war...

I have a suspicion that my two groove Lee-Enfield number four Mark 1 may have been used in the hostilities. It's been re arsenaled multiple times and then at some point was sporterized. Now it lives a peaceful life in my gun safe.

Surplus military guns are a 'maybe', but probably not.
    It's kind of surprising how few have actually been in battles compared to the numbers produced.

Depending on where you live, when the Police get their hands on a gun used in any sort of shooting--
    It's almost never is returned. Guns used in suicides, when released by the Police are rarely reclaimed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I acquired a shotgun that had rust and stains on the muzzle. I immediately asked the seller who offed themself with this? He asked how I knew, and I told him I had seen too many like that doing death investigations. At one time I had over 20 suicide guns in my evidence locker.

i have the rifle my uncle sent home from the Philippines, a japanese t-99 in 7.7 japanese. i,m pretty sure it was used in battle for manila as it came from a large pile of rifle picked up there. if it killed any americans is any ones guess.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0803 (2).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	319252

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Finnish Model 28/30 that shows heavy use and has a worn bore that still shoots amazingly well. Considering the history of these rifles and how much combat use they were subjected to, I would assume it gave the Russian enemy on the other end of it a hard time.

Boolit Buddy
    In a word, yes. Double barrel shotgun my grandfather capped his wife beating neighbor with when he served as a sheriff in Kentucky. Ol' Joe didn't like wife beaters. He also used the double to give a lead injection into the butt of one of his nighttime chicken stealing nephews. He didn't know who the thief was until he got to talking with the town Doctor/Coroner/Funeral Director, a few weeks after the nighttime incident.
    Aso have a 1902 Colt Military pistol in .38 Auto that was used in a suicide. Family confirmed.

Numerous mil-surp firearms that may or may not have seen action. The only action they see now is the occasional shooting session or deer hunt.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    I have a 1860 Army Colt that my great-great G'Pa carried in the Civil War - he supposedly picked up two off a battlefield but only one made it down to me. I'd bet money it killed one or more soldiers before he came along, and according to family history, GGGPa killed two outlaws with "his brace of pistols" sometime right after the war - either late 1866 or early 1867. A group of three bandits set upon him and his wife while they were picking up pecans in a river bottom - he killed two outright and wounded the third, who wound up getting hanged later.

Boolit Master
    Have 4 old military; any seen action ?? The grand maybe ? The brono Mauser more than likely ? The 8mm label; a Hitler-youth issued gun, action ?? A 762 x 39 Asian, maybe ??

Boolit Master

It wasn't the gun, it was the intent and the lead or bullet that did the job. The gun just pointed the way. Now the bayonet, sword, dagger or knife, that's a different story.

I've got the M94, 30-30 that my grandfather was carrying when another guy killed him.

As far as others, probably. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    I have a pair of French service rifles... When I received them, it was apparent they had never been fired and only dropped once.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

I've got a "Zulu" shotgun.

Lord knows where's it's been and done.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

probably, due to my accumulation of foreign + domestic ex military + police issued ones -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Call me back in twenty minutes!

Boolit Master

Not a family member.
    I have a Chinese SKS that is a Vietnam era bring back. Along with the gun I have the import papers that went along with it, and he fellow that brought it back gave it to me!
    One that will never be sold, it will be passed onto my son.

I don't know IF I want to hear any stories from it!

Boolit Master
    I have a Colt Huntsman that was reliably? rumored to have been carried by the owner of the Daily News-Miner of Fairbanks 1960's. Story goes that on two occasions he shot a mugger/disgruntled reader with it. Didn't kill them, but ended the conversation, I suppose...
    A 10 shot .22 for every day carry? Way better than nothing.

Vendor Sponsor

3 different 1911s, 3 separate and unrelated incidents, 3 wanna be criminals, all 3 rapidly changed their intentions, and their immediate direction of travel upon realizing that a 45 was pointed at them at short range.

These were too close to the real deal, or I would be on this list for a different reason.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-26-2023 at 09:57 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast