Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Question about .32 acp reloading, already have .32H&R/>32S&WL dies

Boolit Bub

Question about .32 acp reloading, already have .32H&R/>32S&WL dies

I find myself with a lot of nice shooters in .32acp and with that ammo being rather expensive to shoot, I'd like to begin reloading it. As said in the title I already have a four die Lee set for .32H&R and .32 long. I suspect seating and expanding may be an issue with the short .32acp, however I haven't attempted it yet. Does anyone know for sure what die or dies I might need in lieu of a full .32acp set? Perhaps the answer is to just buy a full die set and that's fine too. Just trying to be frugal. Thanks for the input.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Lyman set of .32 dies were marked for the .32 S&W,ACP,S&W Long, and H&R Magnum. They were made prior to the advent of the .327 Federal or they would probably be marked for that cartridge as well.

They are a four die set consisting of the carbide sizer, M die, seater with roll crimp, and a separate taper crimp die. Since I haven't loaded any .32 ACP, I have only looked at the taper crimp die.

Depending on just how much you expand the case mouth, you may or may not need the taper crimp die for the .32 ACP cartridge.

I will say that this set of Lyman dies are much more user friendly than the three die set of Lee's they replaced.

Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You need a mouth expander 0.002" smaller than bullet diameter, .309-.310". A.32 S&W sizer probably will not reduce cases enough to hold .311-.312" diameter .32 ACP bullets tightly because the expander plug is larger for .313-.314 bullets. Smaller diameter .32 ACP bullets are then driven deeper when they strike the feed ramp. Bullets seated too deeply spike pressure and are a good way to blow up your gun. Get correct .32 ACP dies

If your .32 ACP chamber is VERY sloppy you might be able to load bullets of larger diameter, but these usually bulge cases to preclude rounds from chambering. Seating depth should not exceed that of factory hardball. Best is to use cast bullets designed for the .32 ACP. This bullet from Accurate with 2 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup feeds reliably in most guns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-081H-D.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	319256
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-25-2023 at 05:42 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    GONRA did same (.32 ACP thing) for decades.
    Reloading .32 ACP is LOT easier with a proper set of RCBS dies/shellholder.....

Boolit Man
    I found that my Hornady LnL press needed a different shell plate for 32ACP. The one for 32 S&W would work...but not well....

I have had success with Lee .32 acp dies and they are inexpensive.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS used to label dies 32 S&W Long/32 ACP

Two different shellholders.

I use the Hornady dies for 32 S&W and up to 32 H&R Mag for all my 32 loading , from 32 ACP to 327Mag the only thing I change is for the 32acp is the shell holder . all the others take the same shell holder , You need to adjust the dies . It works for me in all my 32 ACP . I do slug the barrels .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I've used my Hornady 32 S&WL/32 H&R dies to load 32 ACP. As outposts mentions ["A.32 S&W sizer probably will not reduce cases enough to hold .311-.312" diameter .32 ACP bullets tightly because the expander plug is larger for .313-.314 bullets. Smaller diameter .32 ACP bullets are then driven deeper when they strike the feed ramp"] thus I didn't use the expander die and used the Lee case mouth expander instead to slightly bell the case mouths. Even then some makes of 32 ACP cases were thin enough a .308/.309 sized bullet would still not be held tight enough.

Finally broke down and got the Lee 3 die 32 ACP set. It works fine and comes with Lee's #7 shell holder which is also correct for the 32 ACP cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I use separate sets of dies for .32sw long and .32ACP.

The Lee .32acp dies work well and are not that expensive.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I'm getting ready to go the opposite direction. I have a set of Lee .32 ACP dies and just got a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R. Got Long and Magnum brass along with a new Lee 2 cav .314 90 gr SWC mold. It'll be 20 months since I was last home and taking the full month of Dec off from Iraq.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Grand Master
    At the risk of being Captain Obvious here, I would suggest you get out your 32 die set and install on the press you intend to use and try to load 32 ACP with it. Everything else is really just speculation, even with the similar combinations we all have. The best news is, it will be a free try… you’ll only have to invest a little time! The limiting factors will probably be whether you can get the dis down low enough during the expanding and seating steps. You can do a work around for everything else.
    Froggie
    PS I can tell you it works with a set of Lyman 310 dies and handles, but that probably won’t help, huh?
    "It aint easy being green!"

Plus one on the Lee .32 ACP dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk