Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Link satellite internet.

Star Link satellite internet.

SIL emailed today, wondering about StarLink. Anybody use it? He has Hughes at the ranch and it is terrible. I know about it but don't use it. Any comments helpful!
    I noted some responses, his ranch is in Palestine Tx area - which is new coverage. Post your location?
    Last edited by popper; 10-25-2023 at 12:52 PM.
    Whatever!

Following
    We're exploring this option for our RV
    I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Boolit Master
    I have it at home and my office. It's ridiculously fast and the only outage I have experienced is when we had an ice storm (actually my fault, the placement I had couldn't have been worse). The snow melt feature works well also. I am quite rural and seeing as my kids do quite a bit of their school work online at home and my work computer system is entirely cloud based it seems to be a good choice - though expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had it for a while and the speeds are great, but it is pricey. $120/mo plus the "dish"....think that is at $600 now.

No capacity issues at all/
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Guy I used to work with has it. He absolutely loved it and raved about how great it was...Until Elon stopped toeing the Democratic party line. Now he's not such a fan. He doesn't like his Tesla much anymore, either.

lol

Edited to add:
    Seriously, though, it did sound like it worked well. The speed reports he showed me were impressive and he said the downtime was significantly less than he was expecting.
    Last edited by kerplode; 10-25-2023 at 01:33 PM.

Great question. I am on day 5 of a new install and use of "Dishy", short name for Starlink. I had Hughes for 14 years, and need to call and kill that service today. Supper fast and great for all my needs, am streaming music now. Binge watching Netflix shows and figuring out how to make the smarter TV work. $650.00 delivered to remote off road Alaska.

Several downfalls.
    1 No phone access. . . I mean no way to call and ask any questions. Must order on line. No support at all until the payment is made. Then only by email after finding complaint area.

2 You must have a newer smart phone. Mine will not work. Why? To set password, and snow melt, and something else. Can not be done in computer, no way. Found out I needed a newer tablet. Bought that, brought home, and could not charge it. Them guys at BEST BUY are still laughing at me I am sure, cause they did not tell me a special charger, that I did not have was needed. That was a 1200.00 round trip to Anchorage as a waste. I am using this right now as no to set pass word till charger gets here.

Side note, I guess the trip to town was good, as I was able to buy 15,000 primers. Getting them home was another story.

Keyman
    Last edited by Keyman; 10-25-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am on it right now. We tried using cellular internet but ran out of data days in. Starlink for the win here. We run the entire ranch on it. Two Roku devices three phones many computers in different parts of the house. I use it to stream everything from fox news to Pandora radio while splitting firewood. It has saved us as we do not even have phone lines on my road. I say go for it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Question on Cell over Wifi:

1. Most cell phones these days can make a call via linking to local WiFi. (Our iPhones can link to House WiFi; we receive house Internet via Century Link, Century Link provides home Router/Switch box that provides WiFi - Also other Wireless Routers at House that our iPhone 10's can use to make Cell Calls via the iPhones - use AT&T, but we know that Verizon also works on this set up for guests.

2. Does anyone know if the Star Link Home router (Satcom system) support a WiFi connection accessible by Cell Phones? Does it play with AT&T, Verizon, other Cell Phone plans.

3. Where we are at both Montana and Southern Nevada locations we have NO CELL COVERAGE; and rely upon Cell Phone using WiFi link for home and around home coverage.

Thanks
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Mustang answer to number 2 is yes. I have verizon wife has at&t and a friend has T mobile and they all work viva wifi. We have family that has other plans with non apple phones and they all connect one the holidays just fine. My Iphone is a 7 and works fine.

One thing to add about the starlink. The router that comes with it kinda sucks. It is what holds back the system. I bought the ethernet cable adapter and feed my own router system and even mesh it out around the property. It honestly made the speeds 10 times faster. I am going to run a test right now hold for numbers. 213 mbps down and 17.1 upload. with a 11 lat.

Just ran another 209.21 down 23.33 up. Not the best but not bad for 90 bucks a month.

Boolit Master
    Son has it; loves it; said expensive though; that's the only draw back.......

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Mustang answer to number 2 is yes. ....I I am going to run a test right now hold for numbers. 213 mbps down and 17.1 upload. with a 11 lat.

Just ran another 209.21 down 23.33 up. Not the best but not bad for 90 bucks a month.

Thanks that helps a lot
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Actually good dsl like speeds. Glad out local coop power company installed fiber internet. For $85 a month I get true gigabit up and down service where I was stuck with hughesnet or cell phone internet

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I use Starlink with the mobile plan for our camping trips in the summer - worked great every time and you can deactivate it month by month if not needed. It is expensive, but worth it, as it allows me to work remotely anywhere we go. Plus my T-Mobile phone can use the internet for normal telephony. I would buy it again.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Week 2 on starlink here. Dsl before and 0.2 download and .02 upload. Starlink in my very rural area is hitting 29 mbps. $120/month for unlimited service. Zero issues with streaming anything. Had to mount on a 40’ antenna tower to lear the trees. Liking it so far.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Mustang answer to number 2 is yes. I have verizon wife has at&t and a friend has T mobile and they all work viva wifi. We have family that has other plans with non apple phones and they all connect one the holidays just fine. My Iphone is a 7 and works fine.

One thing to add about the starlink. The router that comes with it kinda sucks. It is what holds back the system. I bought the ethernet cable adapter and feed my own router system and even mesh it out around the property. It honestly made the speeds 10 times faster. I am going to run a test right now hold for numbers. 213 mbps down and 17.1 upload. with a 11 lat.

Agreed with #2. Been using it for 3-4 months now. Much better and more reliable than Frontier was. Speeds are OK but definitely not as high as they could be. I am looking into meshing also once I get a few other things done. It is $120 a month now and my Ooma is another $10 (VOIP phone which I am slowly phasing out).

Too bad we all can't get the ukrainian pricing.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy

I have had Starlink for over a year with no complaints, just bought a second dish for the 5th wheel. Simple set-up, less than 15 minutes, just needs a clear view of the sky, to the north here in central FL. It takes a serious downpour to take it out, much better than the other satellite providers. My only other option is copper line dsl and those speeds are a joke, 2.8 mb/sec down and 770 kb/sec up. Starlink gives me 50-200 mb/sec down and 10-20 mb/sec up. If fiber isn't an option where you live, it's a good choice. My speeds this morning are 232 mb/sec down and 15 mb/sec up.

There is no phone support, only email, but the response times are getting better from what I see online. I had a router issue early on and they replaced it promptly.

We've had it about 6 months now and like it. Super heavy rain we will lose the signal but not for a normal t-storm, I'm guessing it'll be the same for a blizzard. Our yard is lower than the neighbors on either side and we have tall trees so our dish is on a 30' tower on the barn with the starlink router inside of it and a ethernet cable running over to the house to a router. I couldn't get our repeater to bounce the signal to an out building and the house so ethernet cable, but that's a minor annoyance next to having decently fast internet.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 10-26-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    My son in law got starlink shortly after I did since he was on cell internet and the kids would run it out of service in a few weeks. He was installing the dish on the roof and dropped it to the stone deck below. Smash. Contacted starlink and they replaced it for just the shipping cost.

I agree with the heavy rain but so far a heavy snow has not interrupted the signal. I mounted the dish on the peak of my roof and has worked well for the last two years.

Boolit Master

Hughes sucks the worst of anything I have ever tried! Hughes asked for my opinion of their service and my answer was worst ever, I would dump them as soon as ANYONE offered me service, and I would never do business with them again!
    Starlink said coming to your area soon so place a deposit for early service. I did!
    Starlink arrived and I fired Hughes. Hughes said you have been a customer for so long we can give you the same service you have now for $89.99/Mo vice the $149.99 you have been paying and soon we will have our newer satellites and really fast service you can sign up for. I reiterated to the customer service guy, "You are fired and I will never do business with you again!"
    Starlink was terrible at first because I had to mount it on my rear deck and I had blockages every minute from my house and trees. I got the roof mount system and it got much better. Blazing fast with blockages every four to five minutes due to the trees. Still great service compared to what I had before from anybody either here or at my previous house with cable.
    Go Starlink! Go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast