WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon CV500 motor died

Boolit Master

Dillon CV500 motor died

I called Dilon for a new motor and was told the new case cleaner was upgraded and the new CV750 takes a different motor and I had to send it back to Dillon pay shipping both ways and send the $140 for the repair. Shipping both ways and $140 makes a new one a better deal but mine just needs a motor. The little motor it came with is and open frame with all the frame and coils showing. The CV750 had an enclosed motor and if I use the same specs as the original 1/40th HP 3000rpm 115 volt single speed I can find an enclosed motor with the same numbers. I am assuming that the enclosed motor will be more durable, than the original. Is that really the case? It may take some fabricating to make the enclosed motor work but looks like the open frame motor would be a direct replacement with no additional work. What do you all think?

Boolit Master
    So, I can't help much but...your motor held up many more years than mine. I sent the money and had them fix it around 6 years ago. I only had to pay the shipping one way as I recall but I could be wrong. The repaired unit works great and stays on a screened in porch in 03*-100*F temps and in the setting sun from 4pm on. Good luck with it. Someone here has probably done the mod you suggest.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Grand Master

what you might try is contact Grainger or Mc Master Carr and talk to one of their motor people, you should be able to read the tag to them and they will find the best match.

Ebb, the $140 fee also covers shipping the repaired unit back to you (as long as you're in the lower 48 states). The warranty on the current sealed motor is five years. Just don't operate it on carpet or a piece of cardboard, as the sealed motor runs hot.

Boolit Master
    Is the original motor that came with the CV500 still available?

Boolit Master
    That original motor was an open frame, much like a model airplane brushless motor, so it could be air cooled. If I were gonna replace it, I’d find a sealed unit with a built in fan in the end of the motor can. Look at the Traxxas rc motor that came standard in their original E Maxx monster truck. Then take that design to McMaster or Grainger with the specs from the original motor.

Boolit Master
    I believe that the conversion to the new motor requires that the bottom base of the tumbler be replaced. It is molded around the original motor and would interfere with the new style round motor. If this had been explained it would have made the process, make more sense. I think my best option is to replace the original motor with a direct replacement if one is available. Now off to Grainger. How would I survive if my tumbler had to make a round trip to Arizona and spend time on the techs bench? It would be gone for 2 or 3 weeks.

Mine crapped out 3 years ago. I searched the web to find a replacement and found a post about a guy that changed his motor out when it died. There were pictures in the post, but all of the pertinent info about the replacement motor was omitted! I replaced mine with a Thumblers that takes a standard size motor that I found on fleabay. Good luck with your search for a new motor. And if you find one , please post the info.

Boolit Master
    quite often you can find a replacement motor for cheap from surplus center centrally located in Lincoln Nebraska shipping is real quick wherever you are.
    or from supply house ordering a c frame motor used in refrigerators and freezer evaporator fans
    Last edited by farmbif; 10-24-2023 at 03:11 PM.

See Post #3 as this is what I would do. Grainger has just about every Electric Motor known to man.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Picked up a c frame motor from Grainger yesterday. I got the closest one we could find in the catalog and when it came in the laminated part of the frame is way thicker and heavier than the original. I believe this means it has more power, and may last longer and not be under so much strain. Got to finish the porch roof so the roofer can finish his thing and install metal. So it will be a week of more till I see if i can make it work.

Boolit Buddy
    The Dayton 4M080E motor is almost identical to the original CV-500 motor. Just swap out the mounts with the mounts on your original motor, and you're good to go. You need to file a flat area on the shaft, and also possibly use some longer screws since the motor is a little fatter than the original. I did this a few months ago, and it worked beautifully. Sometimes you can get the replacement motor for around $20 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Picked up a c frame motor from Grainger yesterday. I got the closest one we could find in the catalog and when it came in the laminated part of the frame is way thicker and heavier than the original. I believe this means it has more power, and may last longer and not be under so much strain. Got to finish the porch roof so the roofer can finish his thing and install metal. So it will be a week of more till I see if i can make it work.
    And the part number is???

Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    The Dayton 4M080E motor is almost identical to the original CV-500 motor. Just swap out the mounts with the mounts on your original motor, and you're good to go. You need to file a flat area on the shaft, and also possibly use some longer screws since the motor is a little fatter than the original. I did this a few months ago, and it worked beautifully. Sometimes you can get the replacement motor for around $20 on ebay.
    Thanks for posting!

The motor is $49 not 141..... wrong .model
    4M080E is correct number.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Make sure that it has ball bearings!

Boolit Grand Master
    Is the CV500 a vibrating cleaner???
    I replaced my old midway vibrator motor with a old fan motor.
    Just had to find one with the correct diameter shaft for the weight.
    Still working to this day.
    midway would have fixed it for free, if I sent it back.
    It wouldn't fit in a USPS FRB with the stud sticking out.
    Shipping would have cost more than I paid for it, so I just fixed it.

Boolit Buddy
    When I bought my dillon tumbler many years ago it said lifetime warranty. .. I spent extra back then to get that warranty.
    Then they discontinue it and say sorry Charlie that warranty is no good any more we will send you a new one if you give us more money .
    Never gave Dillon another dime after that .

Boolit Master

Thumler's seems to be having problems getting motors as well. From their website:

Status of Thumler's Vibratory Tumblers

Thumler's Tumblers is still making rotary tumblers, but the production of vibratory tumblers is delayed because of motor and parts availability. They do intend to resume production of vibratory tumblers, but they do not know when vibratory tumblers will be available for sale. If you go to the pages of this website where those tumblers are sold, you will see...
    "We don't know when this tumbler will be available."
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan