Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same powder, different name

Same powder, different name

I just learned that ACC-2230 is the same as Ramshot X-Terminator. Got me to wondering, is there a list of powders that are the same but had a name change? I did a search but didn't get any good info back. I asked the question to ChatGPT(AI) & here is the response I got back.

Question I asked AI: Is there a list of smokeless reloading powders that are the same but have different names?

ChatGPT's Response:
    Yes, in the world of reloading powders, it's not uncommon to find different powders with different brand names that are nearly identical in terms of burn rate and performance. These are sometimes referred to as "equivalents" or "clones." These powders are often made by different manufacturers but are designed to provide similar ballistic performance.

However, it's important to note that while some powders may have similar burn rates, they may have subtle differences that can affect performance and safety, so it's crucial to refer to reloading manuals and guidance from the powder manufacturer for specific load data and recommendations. Here are a few examples of equivalent powders:

1) Hodgdon H4895 and IMR 4895: These powders are known to be very close in terms of burn rate and can often be used interchangeably in many rifle cartridges.

2) Vihtavuori N320 and Alliant Unique: While they are from different manufacturers, these powders have a similar burn rate and are used in handgun cartridges.

3) Accurate No. 5 and Alliant Power Pistol: These powders are used for similar purposes and have close burn rates.

4) Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP-38: These powders are often considered equivalent and used for similar purposes in handgun reloading.

Remember, while these powders may be interchangeable in many cases, always start with the minimum recommended load and work your way up while observing safe reloading practices and paying close attention to pressure signs. The manufacturer's load data and guidelines should always be followed to ensure safety and optimal performance. If you have any doubt, consult a reloading manual or an experienced reloader for guidance.

I thought this was interesting, but looking at a burning rate chart can do just as good a job grouping similar powders together.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    WW540 and HS6
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Well, I took the precaution of putting on my FR clothing...

It is rather common that some people believe comparable powders (I will use W231/HP38 and IMR4895/H4895 as examples) may be readily interchanged, grain for grain. However, I have found significant differences in the loading specifications and velocities published in the major loading manuals. Use caution when using similar yet different powders interchangeably.

Also, do bear in mind Chat GPT has, as yet, to load and fire the first cartridge...
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Even the same powder of different lots can have differences.

I agree that assuming your own reloading data is risky business. The old rule of cut back 10% & work-back-up holds forever true. Everyone be safe!!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    In recent reloading manuals, you should find that W231 and HP-38 share data, as they are the same powder in different cans. Same with H110 and W296. They're produced and packaged in the same plant, just in different containers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Shooters world to lovex

https://shootersworldpowder.com/reloading-guide/

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    There are a couple of threads if you google

list of same powder different name

You can decide how much you trust the info therein

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Similar burn rates in no way relate to the same powder or charge loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon H414 and W760, HP-38 and W231 (as mentioned), H110 and W296 (ALSO mentioned).
    The "reduce maximum load by 10% and work up" rule is FAIRLY universal, and prudent. The exception to this that I think of is W296, with which a reduction of no more than 3% from max is recommended. If it is true for W296, one would THINK that it is also true for H110, but published reloading data may not indicate that.
    I tend to use one of the 4227s or Alliant 2400 for "maximum effort" magnum revolver rounds, rather than H110. I leave the H110 for the carbine shooters and others who like to mess with it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Although similar burn rates, H4895 and IMR4895 are not identical and not directly interchangeable.

Boolit Master
    GONRA figgers pretty soon Chat GPT will hear about this discussion
    and post weighty thoughts directly....
    WATCHOUT! !!

Hodgdon High Gun is the same as Titegroup according to many sources including a thread here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    In recent reloading manuals, you should find that W231 and HP-38 share data, as they are the same powder in different cans. Same with H110 and W296. They're produced and packaged in the same plant, just in different containers.
    Exactly. I have used both powders a lot and they are the same.

I do not use the other powders listed so will not comment.
    Don Verna

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I just learned that ACC-2230 is the same as Ramshot X-Terminator. Got me to wondering, is there a list of powders that are the same but had a name change? I did a search but didn't get any good info back. I asked the question to ChatGPT(AI) & here is the response I got back.

Question I asked AI: Is there a list of smokeless reloading powders that are the same but have different names?

ChatGPT's Response:
    Yes, in the world of reloading powders, it's not uncommon to find different powders with different brand names that are nearly identical in terms of burn rate and performance. These are sometimes referred to as "equivalents" or "clones." These powders are often made by different manufacturers but are designed to provide similar ballistic performance.

However, it's important to note that while some powders may have similar burn rates, they may have subtle differences that can affect performance and safety, so it's crucial to refer to reloading manuals and guidance from the powder manufacturer for specific load data and recommendations. Here are a few examples of equivalent powders:

1) Hodgdon H4895 and IMR 4895: These powders are known to be very close in terms of burn rate and can often be used interchangeably in many rifle cartridges.

2) Vihtavuori N320 and Alliant Unique: While they are from different manufacturers, these powders have a similar burn rate and are used in handgun cartridges.

3) Accurate No. 5 and Alliant Power Pistol: These powders are used for similar purposes and have close burn rates.

4) Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP-38: These powders are often considered equivalent and used for similar purposes in handgun reloading.

Remember, while these powders may be interchangeable in many cases, always start with the minimum recommended load and work your way up while observing safe reloading practices and paying close attention to pressure signs. The manufacturer's load data and guidelines should always be followed to ensure safety and optimal performance. If you have any doubt, consult a reloading manual or an experienced reloader for guidance.

I thought this was interesting, but looking at a burning rate chart can do just as good a job grouping similar powders together.
    There is a sticky here that shows the equivalent products.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Banned

wc820=aa9 pr200=aa2 wc296=110/296 wc297=1680 ww680=1680

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Although similar burn rates, H4895 and IMR4895 are not identical and not directly interchangeable.
    that used to be the case just like the two 4227s and 4350's and 4831s there all made in the same plant at the same time. youll see as much differences lot to lot of the same powder as you will between the variations brand to brand. in all reality imr doesnt exist. its not like hogdon employees make hogdon powder and imr employees make imr powders. i use quite a bit of 4895 and you both interchangeably today and my chronograph proves there the same today. if your seeing a difference its probably a batch to batch thing

Boolit Master
    Yup, pretty much an "F" grade IMO; only identifying "similar" powders while missing the identical ones (i.e. coming off the same production line) having only different names: W296/H110 just for starters - that was the 'easiest' for it to find. Also WC844=H335, H108=WC820.

Typically worthless.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Even the same powder of different lots can have differences.
    That, and different test barrels, different propellant lots are most likely the major differences posted betwixt propellants such as HP38/W231.
    Last edited by pcmacd; 11-18-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    wc820=aa9 pr200=aa2 wc296=110/296 wc297=1680 ww680=1680
    Whoa! Not on my planet! WC820 - I bought 24# of this from Jeff Bartlett some time back. It was for loading 30 Carbine and was alleged to be a non-canister version of H110, which makes perfect sense. It is slightly slower than lots of cannister grade W296, and takes a half or a grain more in 44 mag to get an equivalent velocity of W296, which is an H110 twin (made in the same process line and interchangeable.)

While #9 is similar in burn rate, I would not call Wc820 and AA#9 twins by any stretch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast