WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Making the switch to Vihtavuori Powders

Boolit Buddy

Making the switch to Vihtavuori Powders

I was always intrigued by Vihtavuori powders but never tried them because of their higher price. Well, it turns out, given the current price for Alliant powders, the Vihtavuori powders are actually lower cost.

I use a lot of Reloder 15 and determined that Vihtavuori N150 would be a close substitute (a little slower) so went hunting for a 8lbs jug which I found at Whidden Gunworks since Powder Valley and all the other big online dealers were out of stock of N150. I never heard of the Whidden Gunworks so I look a chance and ordered 8lbs of N150 for $279 and was pleasantly surprised that all was legit and received my order in 3 days. N150 is $35/lbs while Reloder15 is $54/lbs...it seems to me that Alliant is taking advantage of the situation and I don't think I will ever purchase another Alliant product again.

Anyway, some might say that Alliant is only responding to supply & demand and there is no reason to blame them for wanting to make as much money as they can and I would agree that it is certainly their prerogative just like it is my prerogative to find another supplier...this is capitalism at work.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I started buying a lot of Vihtavuori powder early in 2020 when others were flying off the shelf. I prefer the brand now.

Boolit Master

Been using Vihtavuori for years, don't know how I got started but it's good stuff

I have used VV for 30 years. N140 and N150 are my most used powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I have used VV for 30 years. N140 and N150 are my most used powders.
    i am curious to how N140 and N150 relate to each other? i know N140 is faster but looking at various reloading data it seems that it is only slightly faster meaning there is not a whole lot of difference between the two powders...what is your experience?

I also purchased a jug of N540 from Whidden Gunworks since their price was $50-$60 less then anyone else. Do you have any experience with N5xx series powders?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two jugs of N320 and find it clean burning and it meters well. It used to be a lot more expensive, so I found cheaper powders that did the job. l will keep in mind that may have changed. Thanks for posting your experience.
    Don Verna

I have used N135, 140, 150, 160, 165, 540, 550, & 560. I currently use 140 in my milsurps, 7.62X54 & 6.5X55 and have great results with J bullets. I am using N135 now with cast bullets in 8X58RD. N150 was my go to powder for my palma rifle with a 155 smk. N550 I used in my .223 bolt gun with 75 & 80 grain bullets out to 1000 yards. N165 works well in my 6.5x284 with a 142 smk. N560 I use in my 6.5 rem mag hunting rifle because the barrel is 24", N160 and N165 shot well but I got 150 fps more with the 560. I have a Ross Mk. III that is showing a preference for N540, but I am still working on that load.
    VV has a good reloading app that is always updated. As far as the difference between 140 & 150 for me is it's up to the rifle what it likes best. 140 shot well in my palma rifle but I got a lower ES with the 150.

Cheers,
    Steve

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure I'm ready to make a major switch to Vihtavuori powders, but I did get a couple bottles in trade a few years ago. One was N110. I worked up some loads, to a Hot load for 41 mag with a heavy projectile. They shot well, I have no complains, it reminds me of 2400.
    FYI, Don't let the number confuse you, it doesn't have the same issues as Hodgdon H110.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    I have used N135, 140, 150, 160, 165, 540, 550, & 560.
    One more question...have the various number stayed pretty consistent performance-wise over time...for example, did you notice any significant changes to the burn rate when they added the decoppering agents.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using VV-N350 in .357 SIG for quite some time. No issues and tosses a Remington 124 gr FMJ RN accurately. Only VV powder I've used, but in this case it works.

45_Colt

My supply of powder is pre- decoppering agents. I have not had an issue with lot to lot variations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    One more question...have the various number stayed pretty consistent performance-wise over time...for example, did you notice any significant changes to the burn rate when they added the decoppering agents.
    I can only speak to the consistency of N320 in USPSA competition loads, where meeting Power Factor (bullet weight in grains times velocity in fps, divided by 1000) is a big deal.

For 9mm 147 grain loads at ~900 fps, and 40 S&W 180 grain loads at ~950 fps, the same charge weight +/- 0.1 grains would give the same velocity with the same bullet over different lots of powder, so long as the bullet went through the same barrel. Standard deviations on 10 shot groups always in single digits.

Also low flash, minimal smoke and very clean burning.

Boolit Master
    You will not regret your decision.