Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fbi vap file

Fbi vap file

I keep getting delayed EVERY time I buy a gun. I believe Charles Manson could have better results! I have been finger printed for security access into nuclear power plants including some sensitive areas, so I guess that is the reason for the delays. I am NOT a felon and have no bad behavioral habits. I have read that the FBI offers a process that is called a VAP(voluntary Appeal File) where by the finger print you and do a background check and if you pass muster, they will issue you a unique identifier number to add to your 4473 form. My question: has anyone shared this experience with the feds? I can't help but thinking about the old saying-"don't poke the bear"- but I'm not a terrorist for crying out loud.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Why not call the nearest ATF office to see about it? Maybe start with your local FFL for info.

Probably a good place to start, but I was curious if anyone else had gone through this process.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

It could be something as silly as somebody with a similar name or address has a record that gets you flagged for more intensive checks.

That's the nice thing about being semi-unique, there is exactly 1 other person with the same first and last name as me. And he is, from what I can tell a business owner and "pillar of the community" kind of dude.

Makes the search for the government pretty short.

Boolit Master

unique personal identifier may be your ticket...

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    unique personal identifier may be your ticket...
    'Ffaid so. There are probably a bunch of David Murphys out there and the odds of 1 of them mis behaving is pretty good. But I put my SS# on the 4473 and that doesn't seem to help.

Boolit Bub
    Some dude in the Bronx has my same name and similar birthdate. It caused problems until I got my LTC, ( although I don't need one, I've been a peace officer for 34+ years.)

Boolit Master

I never had a problem with FFL 4473's UNTIL I voluntarily let my CCLicense lapse. I did that because the state of KS passed a law that a person didn't need a CCL to carry concealed. From that point forward I have had a hold placed on EVERY firearm I purchased. That is until I switched FFL Dealers. At a Pawn Shop no less. And here's the only difference I can identify in the process. My old FFL Dealer always phoned the AFT for approval and the new FFL Dealer submits the application via the internet. Now ALL purchases have been glitch free.

Sparky, I don't know how my LGS notifies them because I never asked, but I will from now on. As far as the CCL, I don't need one here in my home state but even though I traveled to a carry state, it would be a significant advantage to have one if I had any contact with police. That was according to our local Sheriff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I never had a problem with FFL 4473's UNTIL I voluntarily let my CCLicense lapse. I did that because the state of KS passed a law that a person didn't need a CCL to carry concealed. From that point forward I have had a hold placed on EVERY firearm I purchased. That is until I switched FFL Dealers. At a Pawn Shop no less. And here's the only difference I can identify in the process. My old FFL Dealer always phoned the AFT for approval and the new FFL Dealer submits the application via the internet. Now ALL purchases have been glitch free.
    Interesting. I had the same thing happen starting after I dropped my CCL. I'm just west of KC

Govt. data bases aren't much better than anything else the govt. touches.

Not with buying a gun, but I had fits with the IRS and a tax lien they put on me.
    It took writing a letter to my US Senator to straighten that one out. Senators have a separate office & staff
    just to handle problems with constituents that have been wronged by the IRS.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ed it's a shame the gov't doesn't have that degree of tenacity when it is time to HELP the tax payers. County governments are about as bad.

Boolit Master

Apparently my name is more common then I would think when I bought a cheap Chinese double from Dunham's around 2000 ($206 out the door) I heard part of the conversation with the other side of the back ground check it was only after the guy got my city of birth the sale was approved . There was another city mentioned that would have denied the sale but the salesman would not tell it to me. A few years later we had to go to secure drivers license and went though the same at S.O.S. office the gal told me I had to wait there to be approved as a "bad Actor" same exact name and D.O.B. just a couple days away is in Michigan. It is common for such people to give a off date of Birth to get past a record .
    I have seen the same with a local to the last house sex offender he would register his address numbers out of proper order so it would not show as his home. The sheriffs department took the excuse he got numbers out of order once then charged him the next year .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a young soldier that worked for me who had a somewhat similar problem. He was a fine young man, and never got into any trouble. And yet about every 6-8 months, an MP and a Texas Ranger would come around looking for him. He didn't have the same name as the bad guy that the Ranger was looking for; his name was similar. Spelled differently, and the miscreant was white and he was Black. But they would come around and collect him up and take him to the MP station. An hour or so later they would bring him back. He was getting pretty frustrated by the whole process, and so was I. The problem was that nobody but he and I seemed to care.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    My gun shop owner who has an FFL gets holds.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Seems to be a common problem. I get delayed every time anymore. The FFL I use for transfers said it happens a lot. I just figure it's going to happen now. So it goes.

Will wonders never cease! The LGS called yesterday and told me that the ATF/FBI or whoever, had released the hold on my gun.. 1 day before the 3 day period but it's progress.Off to the range! Now if I could just find a 696 for a good..... oh well

I live in Arkansas and had a ccl for a number if years, but let it lapse during covid. Another reason was Arkansas wanted too much to renew, (have since reduced to $67 I think). But you could buy with ccl and no NICS check. Just fill out paperwork and go.... check and see if your state qualifies. (Some don't) it might be worth it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I was under the impression that a cleared 4473 was required anytime you purchased a modern firearm from a FFL.
    In Florida a carry permit eliminates the three day wait, but the 4473 is still required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast