RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trading Silver/Gold In A Broken Economy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Lloyd and 5 others with him want beans corn beef and beer. offers to trade 22 shells for it. you say no i dont need them. Lloyd shoots you and takes what he needs. leaves the pretty rocks for someone stupid enough to be willing to burn the calories needed to haul it. Lloyd now has enough food to feed 4more people so on his next trading expidition has 7 people with him and two more to hunt or grow food back home. Good thing is Lloyd has enough guns and ammo to arm three times that many "traders" But Lloyd is a fair man and will always offer his 22 shells first
    looks like your true colors might be showing
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

if you trade ammo or any reloading stuff, be prepared for the people you traded it to, to use it against you.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Gold and silver have always had value, even in primitive societies, and will have value if SHTF type of thing. The problem with your 1 oz bars is folks knowing they are actually silver and not alloyed with a base metal. what folks tend to do is by "junk silver" - that's pre-64 silver coins. Usually they're about the value of the silver they're made some. This gives small amounts of silver for trade in something that's pretty sure it's real since it's hard to make fake silver coins.
    Trick to catch some fakes is get a powerful bar magnet 3-4 inches long. Hold it at a 45 degree angle. Hold a copper/zinc penny against the top of it and let it slide. It will free fall with little resistance. Now do the same with a pre 64 silver coin or a silver 1oz round. It will drag slowly down the bar because silver is a diamagnetic metal. There are some base metals that are diamagnetic so this won't get every fake. Know the size of a typical 1oz round...

American Silver Eagle
    Mass 31.103 g (1.00 troy oz)
    Diameter 40.6 mm (1.598 in)
    Thickness 2.98 mm (0.1173 in)

gives us a volume of 3857.96437 cubic mm with a weight of 31.103grams ALL 1oz silver rounds will have this volume. Most fakes are thicker to make up for a lighter base metal under the plating so the volume ends up higher. Having a good calipers when dealing in silver is a must.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    looks like your true colors might be showing
    my true colors? family and country in that order. get in the way of either and we have a problem. RED WHITE AND BLUE sir
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-22-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Neighbor across the street came to me during that and asked why I wasn't shopping once or twice a week. I told them I planned in advance for something like this and didn't need to. I could go once a month for meat and a few minor things...

Part of my pantry... out of frame to the left are 2 chest freezers, behind me more wire shelving units... it is 10x10 foot... and packed full!

all the necessities. canned and dry food and a tapper fridge

jmho - when the balloon goes up + the economy fails gold would be almost impossible to utilize because of it's high values that people paid - silver should be a better option - even than food, medicines, hand tools, firearms, ammo + alcoholic beverages will be much more in demand + desired by almost everyone -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

You guys are wasting your time with metals except for lead. And primers and powder. I wouldn't be trading anything I have that I can't easily replenish for gold or silver. And how in the heck are you going to split up that gold one oz round? $2000 in gold for a roll of TP? I've some silver, but not enough to make any difference....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    History is a decent example of what will happen. Does not require a lot of research to figure out what has value and what is needed to survive.
    Don Verna

Gold and silver have always been worth something as long as some form of civilization has existed.
    Once civilization ceases to exist, it is only another metal.
    I don't care one way or another because I will not be around anyway.

Boolit Master
    I think what you will need the most is the Good Lord on your side!

Moderator Emeritus

Venezuela and Haiti are in the midst of very hard times, what are people there doing?
    Do any of them have silver and gold coins?
    It's so difficult to figure out what will happen when the USA (the current world power) falls on hard times, but it will likely depend on what country takes our place...unless the SHTF situation is worldwide, then we'll be trading 12 ga shotgun shells for well aged gasoline, like Mad Max. Speaking of Mad Max, I don't recall seeing anyone ever eating anything in that movie?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

you guys with the gold for toilet paper stories crack me up, why dont you just say you cant afford gold. my gold will be used to buy the local farms that will be sold for back taxes, i can guarantee the gov and the bankers will take gold and that fiat money will be laughed at.

Well, I guess this thread has been good to give both me and my wife a look at the reality of what our silver might be good for. I'm coming down on it being at least another option in hard times, and every option available is very important in hard times.

Other options that are important around our forum are pretty obvious -- stored food, cash reserves, tools and skills, fuel, guns and plenty of ammo, a good network of friends/family. --- heck, I'll even include my hundred odd leg-hold traps that might become invaluable for catching more game than a man could kill with his gun. I haven't tried coyote roast -- yet, but I'll eat just about every other furbearer that I might trap.

Bottom line is having a faithful relationship with my creator, Lord, and Savior, who will provide as many days of life on this earth as he wants me to have. When he calls me away, I'm not gonna worry about what happens to my silver, gold, ammo, or whatever else is left behind. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    You guys are wasting your time with metals except for lead. And primers and powder. I wouldn't be trading anything I have that I can't easily replenish for gold or silver. And how in the heck are you going to split up that gold one oz round? $2000 in gold for a roll of TP? I've some silver, but not enough to make any difference....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    1 gram gold bars are a thing... about $62 worth right now without the premium... call it $75ish with. 1/2 oz American Gold Eagles $275ish... 1964 and older US silver dimes are a $2 bill, a silver quarter a $5 bill...

I would say precious metals would be very useful if we implement a central bank digital currency, and you'd like to privately transact with someone - maybe avoid paying taxes.

As for SHTF, why not just set aside some seeds now. The amount of seeds you can get for the price of one ounce of silver today would be very valuable after a total collapse. You could also use seeds as currency. Restock your "seed store" annually to ensure you have useable seeds the next season. It would be nice to even have seeds to share so neighbors could feed themselves. That would build good will.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231022-220939.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	319144

1,400 seeds for $30ish bucks. In SHTF, that is money! (And you don't have to prey on other people)
    Last edited by Four-Sixty; 10-22-2023 at 10:14 PM.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Any farmer or rancher that has grain or cattle will sell for metals. He can't hold them forever, waiting for an acceptable new currency to come along. Gold is for large purchases, silver for every day trades. One hundred years ago, I think you could buy a beef for a $20 gold piece, and today you can get a decent cow for that same coin.

Two hundred years ago,our country had coinage shortages, and had to cut Dollars into eighths, called "bits", or pieces of eight. I' m not too old, but I still remember when a candy bar cost "two bits"

Moderator Emeritus

The economy has bounced hard many times in history and in many countries. In none of them has gold and silver been the only options nor the only currency. That only has happened in novels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    you guys with the gold for toilet paper stories crack me up, why dont you just say you cant afford gold. my gold will be used to buy the local farms that will be sold for back taxes, i can guarantee the gov and the bankers will take gold and that fiat money will be laughed at.
    even during the depression paper money was valuable. just hard to acquire. how will you steel those peoples farms and homes when the banks crash and the government is gone? who are you to judge my financial status. i dont have gold but my home 4 vehicles camp and all my toys are paid for. if i wanted shinny rocks id buy them. they may be a good long term investment and maybe 40 years ago i should have bought some. today im 67 and would rather spend that money enjoying the years i have left then buying rocks to collect dust in the safe. but bottom line is if we have a REAL SHTF senerio you arent buying my neighbors house. if you want it youd better lock and load because not many are going to hand you the keys. i take it you have never met a farmer

I’m enjoying y’all’s perspective on the subject. In the mentioned scenario how will our court system change and how long will it take to stabilize? Is that what we need to quiet these whiners?
    Last edited by Half Dog; 10-23-2023 at 08:38 AM.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Well, I guess this thread has been good to give both me and my wife a look at the reality of what our silver might be good for. I'm coming down on it being at least another option in hard times, and every option available is very important in hard times.

Other options that are important around our forum are pretty obvious -- stored food, cash reserves, tools and skills, fuel, guns and plenty of ammo, a good network of friends/family. --- heck, I'll even include my hundred odd leg-hold traps that might become invaluable for catching more game than a man could kill with his gun. I haven't tried coyote roast -- yet, but I'll eat just about every other furbearer that I might trap.

Bottom line is having a faithful relationship with my creator, Lord, and Savior, who will provide as many days of life on this earth as he wants me to have. When he calls me away, I'm not gonna worry about what happens to my silver, gold, ammo, or whatever else is left behind. jd
    I'm glad you were able to get some good information. Your balance of silver and "Other options" is sound reasoning with diversification being a good thing. Tools and skills in particular are overlooked by many as stored items can only go so far. I find much of the silver bashing discouraging and wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn those individuals have virtually all of their liquid net worth on deposit in financial institutions.