Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Disk Blade Targets

Disk Blade Targets

Had a couple of 20" real hard cutter head, scalloped disk blades that I broke off my House HD disk set, long story, helping a neighbor cut fire breaks at a rapid pace on a burn. No good deed shall go unpunished.

Tried to drill the disc blades with drill bits, and a flat end mill bit, no go. So I locked the blades in my Bridgeport with the vice, a 2x4 juniper block and a bar clamp. Then got out a ball end four flute solid carbide bit, a squeeze bottle of tap magic and cut four 3/8 holes 1/6" at a lick, for carriage bolts and heavy chain to hang them at 250 meters on my range. Should make a good cast bullet target set.

If you need to cut or drill spring steel, the ball end mill bit in a mill will do it, using plenty of oil and taking your time to cool the bit.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

A carbide tipped cement drill will work too. I wish you luck settled disk blades and they shattered after a few shots.

Boolit Master
    Disk blades DO make good enough targets but hanging them can be a challenge. Welding chain to them works for awhile but eventually the blade will crack next to the weld. Like you said, a drill will not touch it, so a hole cannot be made that way. Only way I have found to make a hole is with a cutting torch and then a length of chain can be bolted to the blade. Also, a disk blade stands up quite well to 9mm, .38 special, .357, and .45 colt, but the projectile from a .223 will put a small, clean hole right through the blade and barely even make it wiggle.

Years back, making your own skid plate for your dirt bike was popular.

The common thing to use was a shovel.
    Most guys couldn't drill holes in them either, so the approved method then was to use a .357Mag. to drill the mounting holes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

an SKS with steel core ammo makes nice clean holes in steel...so I'm told
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Yep a j bullet at 3K plus will burn a hole through hard steel out to about 150, to a point in thickness and the big thumpers will break spring steel, with repeated pounding. If you keep the shooters to low velocity with j bullets or cast bullets the targets on a private range should be pretty safe from destruction. May need to move one hole up a tooth for the hang. Looking at ye pictures, may have hem to close to perfect balance.

This is the rough result, mill cut holes still must be chamfered and surface wire wheeled then spray painted black. I may stick an advertising sign behind, for smarties that shoot center or over and claim..... Berm is 12-15' high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0623.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 10-21-2023 at 05:47 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Marlin 45-70 with Elmer´s load made nice holes.

Boolit Master

Just be careful with jacketed bullets that penetrate the steel. Been hit several times with jacket material hard enough to draw blood. With the right High velocity combo lead splashes threw and jacket can come back. Cast boolits have never been a problem for me. My 2 cents Be safe.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

Just asking because I don't know and would like to learn, but could the disc be annealed slightly to remove some of the brittleness of the steel and still remain strong enough for targets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Just asking because I don't know and would like to learn, but could the disc be annealed slightly to remove some of the brittleness of the steel and still remain strong enough for targets?
    Would take alot of gas, that is a large surface. And a concentrated Flame makes it Spotty...literally. Something like a Rosebud would be better, and, Use more gas yet. Could get expensive. Maybe a medium size Forge...

Boolit Grand Master

Annealing will help you dont have to get it red hot to do this the easiest way would be to dig a shallow pit slightly smaller than the blade. Build a charcoal fire in the pit and sit the disc blade over it let it burn the better part of a day keeping the blade hot around 600-800 degrees.

This will be temporary as the vibrations from shooting it will work harden it back to where it was and more. The other issue will be impacts stretching one side more than the other creating stresses. Annealing will make drilling holes easier also.

Polish the top side of the blade bright when on the fire a nice bright blue color will come hold it and this will toughen the steel but not overly soften it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Yes, build a fire, heat the steel, and bury in the fire until completely cold.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful...Bullets hitting that curved surface are going to ricochet like a mother

Boolit Master
    Actually, jacketed bullets should NEVER be used on steel targets, and I will obey that rule just as soon as I use up all of my current 9mm ammo.

Boolit Master

I would suspect the metal is probably a lot like a radial saw blade in steel and hardness . We had one hanging by the hole at a club muzzle loading shoot at 100 yards . A lead round ball over 110 grains FFG from my .58 Cal Kodiak shattered it into small pieces . It may have been badly cracked as it had been up for quite a few previous shooters .
    Out at 250 meters with cast bullets it should last you a while unless you shoot a really large caliber . I have been surprised just how much damage fast lead bullets even dead soft can do to steel . The 250 meters will cut the speed a lot for your targets survival.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought some steel targets years ago on closeout, and IIRC they were not very expensive (three 6" for $20). Sometimes not having a lot of tools, or much knowledge, and being lazy makes for a better outcome.

Did a quick search and found these. Four targets of 1/2" AR500 $62 delivered.

https://shootsteel.com/product/1-2-a...undle-4-and-6/
    Don Verna