RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the 500 S&W fans?

Where are the 500 S&W fans?

After a long hiatus without a 500, I just snagged a Lipseys BFR 5.75" Bisley! I had to sell my last 7.5" BFR before moving to New York in 2016 (.50 cal handguns were a felony) and regretted it since. When I retired and moved back to CO, I tried buying it back - no luck. It should be here Monday, and I'm so impatient I started putting loads together for it already.

I still have a pile of brass and boolits, so I got after it. I have a pretty good stock of Lee 440gr GC and my own design 550gr plain base boolit from mountain molds before he closed shop. Started with the 440gr over unique, starting at 15.5 grs.

My biggest issue is that my beloved IMR-4759 has long since been discontinued and was my go-to under the 550gr boolit. I recently read an article from John Ross talking about slower powders (rifle) in pistol cases, and snce I have 5 lbs of H335 which isnt too much slower than 4759 so I figured I'd give it a shot. I measured the volume under the 550 to fit 47.2 grs before it was compressed, so I started at 45grs and went up from there. Uncharted territory, so it should be fun!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

I am a fan but I don’t have one yet. I am set up to reload for .500 and already have a couple hundred rounds ready to go for when I finally get one. I also have the Lee 440 grain mold that you mentioned and it will be my main player, I also have a 600 grain mold from MP. The HP’s are the 600 grain and the others are the 440 grain Lee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5245.jpeg  

Moderator Emeritus

The only slower powder I used was AA4100.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have an handi rifle in 500 S&W. I read about walking around rifles and wanted one that would knock a hog silly. I started out with the Lee 440 grainer it worked fine over 16 grains of Tightgroop. Then I got a Lee modern minne mold that looks like and is a hollow based wadcutter from Hell. I shot it both forward and reversed at water jugs. I managed to get the range wet. I never shot a pig with that rig but I think it would have worked.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I've always had an eye on one, but haven't ever had one. I like the idea of a 4" Smith with reduced loads. I'd probably shoot a couple to a dozen full bore loads, but not many. There's a fellow over on THR forum that sometimes carries one IWB. He showed a picture, and man it was a slick setup. I could pull it off I think.

Boolit Master

I like the caliber but my .44 magnums are as much fun as my wrist can take ...I know weight and muzzle break ect.

There is a guy here in Michigan with what looks like a good buy on a S&W 500on mewe no one seems interested ....
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    For fun loads I use UNQ powder with a RCBS 400 gr. bullet for an average speed of 796 fps.

For more serious carry I load a 440 gr. CPBLGC bullet with Titegroup for 1191 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with the big cartridges is that those of us who are old enough to still be wowed by a revolver are finding that our bodies are out of warranty and replacement parts are impossible to get. 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a 460 S&W and was extremely impressed. I even started scheming to try and find a means to finance the acquisition of one. But then I had a cycling accident, my wrists never quite healed up after that, and now 3 cylinders of 44 magnum from a 3 pound revolver is my limit. I will have to leave the big gun, heavy boolits to the better preserved and/or younger fellows.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The problem with the big cartridges is that those of us who are old enough to still be wowed by a revolver are finding that our bodies are out of warranty and replacement parts are impossible to get. 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a 460 S&W and was extremely impressed. I even started scheming to try and find a means to finance the acquisition of one. But then I had a cycling accident, my wrists never quite healed up after that, and now 3 cylinders of 44 magnum from a 3 pound revolver is my limit. I will have to leave the big gun, heavy boolits to the better preserved and/or younger fellows.
    That's a fact. Even when it comes to 357mag I tend to go for moderate, or even 38spl, loadings these days. The wrists aren't what they used to be....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I have the 8 3/8" 500. I use the 440 GC from Lee

For light loads i use Trailboss. These are fun for recoil sensitive grandkids

Medium loads use Unique. These feel like you shot something with some power without inflicting pain on the shooter. I shoot these the most.

Full power loads get H110. These are similar to shooting factory loads. Unless you have strong wrists, you'd better use a 2 hand hold.

Denny

So the BFR has been at the range a few times, but my right hand is a little sensitive after a breacher training accident. I can deal with moderate 440gr loads, but full house loads, especially with the 550gr boolit makeu flinch for weeks. My issue is the lack of 50cal gas checks. I have plenty of 440gr lee boolits, but I cannot find checks. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    …..I had the opportunity to shoot a 460 S&W and was extremely impressed.
    The range has both a 4” S&W 500 and a 8” 460 with brake cuts in the rental fleet. I’ve put a couple rounds through each and IMO, the 460 is the most brutal handgun I’ve ever shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Sage Outdoors, will have 50 cal Gator checks. He sells standard height and a taller one. Great vendor to deal with, along with reasonable shipping!
    Rick

Boolit Master

I like 500's and 50AE.

I’ve always wanted a .50 AE or a .500 S&W- but in a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    NOE bullet moulds has gas checks. Now, whether they have what you want is another story. My 500 S&W is in a Handi rifle. Pistols are 50 AE and low/midrange loads are all I use. After 40K plus 44 mag loads over the years, my wrist doesn't care for the hot loads anymore in the big bores. 353 Casull is still OK for now.

Looks like the gator checks are in short supply at the moment, I normally get them through NOE, bayoubrassandammo.com or Sages Outdoors. Currently Sages appears to be the only one with them in stock. https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-...or-gas-checks/

So far in the 8 3/8" 500 i'm using the NOE 503-354-RF PBGC, the 502-458-FN GC and the 502-694-FN.

I load the NOE HTC502-325-FN in my Deagle and AR's chambered in 50AE and 12.7x42 (beo). Plus an Accurate molds 50-440 in both AR's, great bullet for subsonic loads in the 11.5" 50AE upper.

I really need to dust these off some day soon, it's been a minute.

Boolit Master
    They are all in casts for broken wrists.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    The Smith 500 is quite an adventure !!
    I have a John Ross 5" - perfect bbl length to my eye.
    Took a couple years, but I pretty much got the ear-splittin-boomin-crunchers out of my system.
    (might have had something to do with shooting 50 of the John Ross 550g long nose thumpers in one sitting - my buddies kept coming up with chunks of firewood for me to blow up)
    The Lee 440g loaded hot can be a handfull also !
    I got a mould that throws a 235g boolit, You can push that pretty hard and not hurt your self.
    The Lee takes regular checks, but if you need some aluminum checks for a plain base, let me know, I'll send you some.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’ve always wanted a .50 AE or a .500 S&W- but in a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thought and picked up an Encore 20" Katahdin barrel in .500 S&W When I still could. Put a 2X7 scope on it and it is tons of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore Katahdin 500 S&W.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	323081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast