WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 200 gr cast in .308

Boolit Master

200 gr cast in .308

Where would you all start with a 200gr GC hard cast, with 2230C in a .308 ?? Want a light load that is very accurate at 100 yds ???

With whatever powders I had or could get, I've found starting right in the middle of the data
    printed in the Lyman Cast Book to be a real real good place to start.
    And more often than not, I just stayed with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Blahut:

I would consider a starting load of 25 Grains of Accurate 2230 with a Dacron filler; and work up from there.

I am using a 29 or 30 Grain load of BLC-2 Powder; Dacron Filler over Powder; and a 200 Grain RCBS Sil boolit that is powder coated - resulting in a velocity of about 1850 feet per second. No pressure signs. Following is a 5 round group size picture with this load:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308 RCBS 200 SIL - 30 Gr BLC2 - 220627.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	319080

Based on a comparison of Accurate 2230 Powder and BLC-2; it shows that Accurate 2230 generates 20 percent higher pressures compared to BLC-2 with same weight jacketed bullets; and that is with less 4 to 5 grains less powder in the Accurate 2230 loads. (Click on Picture to Expand Chart)

Name:	Accurate 2230 Load Data pic.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	319079

This higher pressure and 4 to 5 grains less powder used - leads me to thoughts that a 25 Grain weight of Accurate 2230 is where I would start. But that's me based on analysis of other information - not a Reloading Book Publication of the load.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    2230C is NOT 2230. Accurate's instruction for it is to use 2460 data as is. Even though there is a little .223 Rem and .308 Win data on the 8# jug label, they do not publish load data for 2230C.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

Taking in consideration - Sundog's comments about Accurate 2230C using Accurate 2460 Load Data (instead of Accurate 2230C using Accurate 2230 Load Data:

1. Accurate 2460 is slightly slower than 2230, and pressure generation per grain is slightly less than Accurate 2230
    2. Accurate 2460 still utilizes about 20 percent less grains compared to BLC-2. (Click on pic to enlarge)

Name:	Accurate 2230 and 2460 Load Data pic.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	319082

3. If I were developing the load using Accurate 2230C; taking into consideration SunDog's comments - I would still try 25 Grains of Accurate 2230C as a starting point based on my load development for BLC-2 using an RCBS 200 Grain Sil boolit as described in my post #3 above.

4. Understand - Accurate 2230C may not be an optimum powder for this application; with long used load data available. Just as BLC-2 may not be an optimum powder for my application with the RCBS 200 Sil., although I have had fairly good results.

But; given our times and what individuals may have on hand, attempts to use other powders will be a natural transition. I still use W860 and W872 with some of my cast boolits; but many see that as "Problematic"; but I have significant quantities of those because I have an AR-50 I shoot; and I have quantities of BLC-2 available because of use in M1a and M1 rifles.

For me; I would still start load development with 25 Grains of 2230C in the 308 Winchester Case, a tuft of Dacron, and topped with a 200 Grain Boolit. Inspect for pressure signs, accuracy, and if available capture velocities with a Chronograph. But that's me.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Thank You all for your thoughts...

Boolit Master

Look forward to you posting your loads and testing as it develops.
    Mustang

Boolit Master
    I have some 2230-C that I use in the 223 rem, works well. The jug gives load data and states the following, A mil-spec ball propellant for duplicating the M-193 ball cartridge. Slightly slower than Accurate 2230. Use 2230 data.

I have heard both ways, 2230 and 2460. I load according to the data I have. I use 24-25 grs. in my loads.

223 Rem
    55 gr. FMJ 26 grs./2230-C 3200 fps

308 Win
    168 gr. HPBT 42 grs./2230-C 2600 fps

MAX LOADS

This is just two loads on the jug just to give you a perspective.

Several years ago I tried a few shots with cast in a 303 Brit. Results were not really good, probably not enough powder to make it burn properly. I decided I had better powders for what I wanted to do. Being harder to ignite, I don't care for ball powders in reduced loads. That said I am sure that it could be used with a little load development, maybe on the higher end for cast. Just be safe.

I’ve been loading easy 193 gr cast loads in my ‘06, .30-40 krag and .303 using VV N32C for my cas clubs boltgun shoots but I have never shot them at distance. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. Have a couple more cans.

Boolit Master

I have been using 18 gr of 2400 with the 200 gr cast in .308 and at 100 yds it is an accurate load
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that Blahut is looking for HOW TO USE the Accurate 2230C powder he has on hand with Cast Boolits in the 200 grain range. Not how to use powder he does not have - or can not get.
    Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    I found 30gn of Varget behind the 311644bv Lyman pill would go Moa most times out in my .308 Schultz & Larsen, 23gns of 4227 (2207) was also an accurate load,no Dacron with Varget but 1/2 gn with the 4227. Mal.