RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Tell FM Hi-Power Pistol

Moderator Emeritus

Tell FM Hi-Power Pistol

I just came into a FM Hi-Power 9 mm pistol. I believe it is also called a Model 90 if I remember right. It was made in Argentina and was imported by SportArms. It looks like my Browning Hi-Power and it looks and functions about like it does. I just do not know the good the bad and the ugly about it. If ya got one; had one; or used one I would appreciate your thoughts on this pistol. It does appear to be well made but I would truly appreciate your input. Thanks In Advance.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

not an expert but i believe all the hi powers were made overseas and sold to various places to be kind of sorta rebranded. browning in utah imported a bunch and sold them in the us. i have 2 of the browning hi powers and like them
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I had one several years ago. I believe they were licensed copies of the Browning design rather than clones. As I recall they don’t have the narrowing cuts on the front of the slide which was done originally to meet weight requirements. The one I had was a good pistol.

Boolit Master
    The Argie guns are license-built copies of the FN Hi-Power. The finish tends to be a bit cruder than FN-made guns, but the price typically reflects that. They are good, sound guns, that are just as reliable as an FN-built gun. I bought a used one for cheap many moons ago, and it has been utterly reliable with good magazines and ammo. I had Novak sights put on mine back before that was cool for Hi-Powers, and bought a bunch of Mec-Gar mags for it. I recently added an FN-made ambi safety and some nice walnut grips, and it's still chugging right along.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I had two of them back in the day, and as others have said the only difference I could tell was the parkerized finish. Good, solid pistols.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy

According to what I read back when I also purchased an FM Argentine, Browning sold them the machinery to make their own handguns. Most parts swap between an FN HiPower and the Argentine version. Mine is very accurate, and his a keeper.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Hello, I am Argentine, and as they say above with pistols made by Fabricaciones Militares (FM) under FN license.
    At first they imported the FNs from Belgium, then they bought the license and began manufacturing them here. They were supplied by the police and the military until a few years ago when they began to be replaced by Bersa pistols with double action. I think that many police officers close to retirement have not changed their FMs for the new Bersa ones.
    They have been manufactured for many years, I have one of the last ones that have been manufactured, its coating is a paint that is very easy to scratch, unfortunately, the barrel is cold hammered, so it is of excellent quality. A beautiful pistol and very pleasant to shoot in my hand. That's one of the guns I wouldn't sell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    Hello, I am Argentine, and as they say above with pistols made by Fabricaciones Militares (FM) under FN license.
    At first they imported the FNs from Belgium, then they bought the license and began manufacturing them here. They were supplied by the police and the military until a few years ago when they began to be replaced by Bersa pistols with double action. I think that many police officers close to retirement have not changed their FMs for the new Bersa ones.
    They have been manufactured for many years, I have one of the last ones that have been manufactured, its coating is a paint that is very easy to scratch, unfortunately, the barrel is cold hammered, so it is of excellent quality. A beautiful pistol and very pleasant to shoot in my hand. That's one of the guns I wouldn't sell.
    My gun also has the black paint finish, and is one of the very few things that I don't like about the gun. If it gets to looking too terrible bad, I'll either have it parkerized or Ceracoted.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys for the info. Mine has the black finish and the bobbed hammer....plan of firing it this next week beside my Browning Hi-Power and thus have a reference point. The Cerokete or parkarization is a great idea.....wonder how it would do with a red dot?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would buy one in a second! Still kicking myself for not buying NIB FEG copies for $249.95 back in the day.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I would buy one in a second! Still kicking myself for not buying NIB FEG copies for $249.95 back in the day.
    Yep, the FEG copies caught my fancy 20 or so years ago, but for one reason or another, I never quite bought one. In point of fact, it seems like all of the licensed copies were and are pretty good, but FEG seems to be a very good expression of the design.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    The Israeli Kareen is a clone - I believe made by FEG for Israel. I've got FEG's. Kareens, Argentine FM and Brownings. None have ever failed. A couple of the Brownings were training pistols , painted red, and sold by SARCO a few decades ago. A bit of TLC and they were returned to military configuration with lanyard rings, ringed hammers, and parkerized or parked and painted finish. Blank adapted a couple for reenacting purposes.

All are great pistols.

Boolit Master
    I currently have a well worn Israeli FEG complete with ring hammer and lanyard ring. I really like the pistol. It is utterly reliable.

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all for the information. Going to try her out and see how she runs this next week.

Boolit Buddy
    Buckwheatpaul, I used to have one of those. I sent it to cylinder and slide to have the sights changed. They specialize in hi-powers. The one thing that I noticed with mine was that it didn't eject the brass very far. It piled it right at899 my feet. After further research I found out the Argentines oversized the bore to reduce the chamber pressure when firing 9mm ammo meant for sub machine guns.
    Evidently it is loaded much hotter than standard 9mm ammo. I slugged the bore and it was .357. Found a Browning barrel and it dropped right in. Problem solved. Don't know if they still do this but just something to be aware of.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Yep, the FEG copies caught my fancy 20 or so years ago, but for one reason or another, I never quite bought one. In point of fact, it seems like all of the licensed copies were and are pretty good, but FEG seems to be a very good expression of the design.
    Froggie
    I have read that the FEG is 100% interchangeable with FN/Browning parts, a huge plus. Would love to see one of the new EAA Turkish clones but nobody here ever gets them. The new Springfield SA-35 always sells the same day they put it under the glass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

For the people that want more info on FEG's https://highpowercollectors.proboard...s-informations
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For the people that want more info on FEG's https://highpowercollectors.proboard...s-informations
    Thanks for the link! This site has a wealth of info!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Thanks so much for this link. It takes my P9 FEG HP from “bastard” status to a documented licensed hipower. I knew all along it was a quality pistol but now there’s proof.

Boolit Bub
    rear sight on mine shot loose.slide metal appears soft.still dont regret buying it