Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lettering machine

Boolit Grand Master

Lettering machine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	319071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	319072

This is a lettering machine for stamping parts I made up. Table is 4" wide and 12" long. 1/4 20 holes in it. Thread is 3/8 16. Ram is 1 1/4" rack and pinion drive with an automatic punch built into it. Nose is removable for different sizes stamps. Right now I can use 1/16" and 1/8" stamps. Rail is bolted down and has a vee on top for round parts. I can use small strap clamps or double faced tape to hold parts.

Its easy to use and is consistent
    Locate part on table.
    Set height of ram.
    Insert punch
    Lower ram down loading the auto punch when it get to depth it trips and thunk you have a letter.
    Index table over with 16 tpi its 1/16" per revolution of the hand wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	319071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	319072

This is a lettering machine for stamping parts I made up. Table is 4" wide and 12" long. 1/4 20 holes in it. Thread is 3/8 16. Ram is 1 1/4" rack and pinion drive with an automatic punch built into it. Nose is removable for different sizes stamps. Right now I can use 1/16" and 1/8" stamps. Rail is bolted down and has a vee on top for round parts. I can use small strap clamps or double faced tape to hold parts.

Its easy to use and is consistent
    Locate part on table.
    Set height of ram.
    Insert punch
    Lower ram down loading the auto punch when it get to depth it trips and thunk you have a letter.
    Index table over with 16 tpi its 1/16" per revolution of the hand wheel.
    Gun builder? by any chance?
    By the way, that is awesome!

Boolit Master

Great work. wish I could do that.

gmsharps

I had one old set of stamps that had all of the letters at the same height from the edges of the tools, of course someone decided they needed them more than I did.

Still have my fixture though but my stamps now create letters that are at all different heights, like yours do.

One would think that would be an issue with more people but I guess it isn’t.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I had one old set of stamps that had all of the letters at the same height from the edges of the tools, of course someone decided they needed them more than I did.

Still have my fixture though but my stamps now create letters that are at all different heights, like yours do.

Very few people use a guide or fixture that locates off the side of the stamp. They just want the cheapest stamps for hand use.

For the ones that have that need they do sell stamp sets designed for holders or stamping machines. The issue is cost. I've built a couple of stamping machines for industrial use based on Hitt Marking Devices stamps https://www.hittmarking.com/category...-with-holders/

You can get them short with a holder or full type hand stamps to be used with a hammer and guide fixture but they start at about 10 times normal cost and go up from there.

I have seen other brands but the was in the 90's and I don't remember the brands.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I have a set of the stamps that go in one holder and are driven at one time. better but not all that good and are very expensive as the set is actually 4 alphabets/numbers sets.

The issue I see in the letters difference is the "area of each letter", with my machine the stamp is the driver that cocks the automatic hammer and trips the trigger so length isnt an issue. the controlled blow and the difference in the area of each letter is. An A or 8 as much more surface area than a 1 or I.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

So, what are you trying to tell us.
    Not everyone is up to your ability.

Boolit Master

a few week ago I found a pantograph at a yard sale for $75. It came with all the letters and numbers. My wife grumbled a bit till I showed here what they were going for. I played with it a bit and then put the caliber marking on a barrel today.

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	319124
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0197.jpg  
    Last edited by John Taylor; 10-22-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A pantograph with the forms would be a great addition to my shop.Has one at the one shop small light duty for doing electrical box and panels labels but if you were careful and easy it wold do nice on brass plates.

I got spoiled at the last shop as the fadals and proto tracs all had engraving programs on them, With several fonts available. The Fadals also could do serial numbers increasing with each part.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I think not. What I believe he is trying to say is it's extremely difficult to find a set of stamps that align correctly with a straight, fixed edge. No matter the cost. I've experienced the same issue myself and I presume that's why you see etching as much as you do these days.

I don't think it's a comment on the user. It's a comment on the manufacturers that routinely screw the pooch yet it appears to be acceptable now.

Once mediocrity is accepted then soon the level of mediocrity will be redefined. And not in a positive way.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 10-22-2023 at 06:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I think not. What I believe he is trying to say is it's extremely difficult to find a set of stamps that align correctly with a straight, fixed edge. No matter the cost. I've experienced the same issue myself and I presume that's why you see etching as much as you do these days.

I don't think it's a comment on the user. It's a comment on the manufacturers that routinely screw the pooch yet it appears to be acceptable now.

Once mediocrity is accepted then soon the level of mediocrity will be redefined. And not in a positive way.
    It's all about cost. If you are willing to pay, they are readily available. https://www.hittmarking.com/products...pe-marking-kit

Cheap laser marking machines have replaced most of the need for stamps.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It's all about cost. If you are willing to pay, they are readily available. https://www.hittmarking.com/products...pe-marking-kit

Cheap laser marking machines have replaced most of the need for stamps.
    I've bought a couple of sets of those stamps. Have you?

They aren't true to an edge, either. Got returned.

Just because it cost a lot doesn't automatically mean it's better.

Boolit Grand Master

I've bought a couple of sets of those stamps. Have you?

They aren't true to an edge, either. Got returned.

Just because it cost a lot doesn't automatically mean it's better.
    I haven't purchased any of them since the mid to late 90's. At that time, they were very good. I have a couple of the sets that got scraped due to wear in an industrial setting. For my use they are fine. Alignment is excellent but some of the high use letters don't stamp crystal clearly like new ones. Sad to hear QC has gone down.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

This is a subject that has rankled me for years, but which I do so little that I never do anything about it. Consequently there are a few barrel jobs in my collection that ought to be marked but aren't. Anything I do free-hand looks like it, so I let it slide. Nothing dangerous, mind you, just a couple of .22s, .25 rimfires, the odd .32 Long Colt, and a K-Hornet that I made up 10-12 years ago.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I have a set similar to the Hitt Marking set, called Pryor Interchangeable Steel Type, made by Minneapolis Molds & Engraving Co. It works, but kind of hard to get a consistent square hit on the type holder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    This is a subject that has rankled me for years, but which I do so little that I never do anything about it. Consequently there are a few barrel jobs in my collection that ought to be marked but aren't. Anything I do free-hand looks like it, so I let it slide. Nothing dangerous, mind you, just a couple of .22s, .25 rimfires, the odd .32 Long Colt, and a K-Hornet that I made up 10-12 years ago.
    I feel your pain , been there and done that but really as we are just temporary custodians we owe it to any future custodian to properly caliber mark our work. My best attempts at hand stamping still leave a lot to be desired so what I have taken to is properly stamp any and all information on the barrel but under the forearm where it will not show.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Not sure what gave you that impression. I am in the same boat as you now, that someone got my “good” stamps. Just pointing out that there are places that make them right but they are much more expensive as the link in M-Tec’s post shows.

Yep, that’s where I was coming from. The fixtures we use to line them up, take us humans out of the equation. It’s all the tooling (stamps) fault, not ours, if they are not properly aligned.

I suppose that one could adjust the alignment of cheaper stamps by trimming the relevant side(s) on a surface grinder, but that would be a godawful lot of work!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

My set of 1/8" only have a very few high Im thinking of gluing a small shim on them to move them down. Easier than cutting the rest all down to match them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast