MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joint replacements

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Had lots of parts replaced; eyes; neck; back; had to learn to walk again; had to give up the recurve bow; took a long time before I could shoot anything with much recoil; could not hold up the gun; took a long time before I could hold up a pistol; went to an air gun, pistol / rifle; also shooting a .22 rim fire; now am able to shoot my 45/70 with lighter loads; can shoot a couple rounds out of my 45/70 bear gun, very heavy recoil; it all takes time; do not rush it; I did and it cost me time; YOU can also go to the other shoulder; will only take a few hours for you brain to acomate the change;
    Thank you for saying that! I am already mildly ambidextrous, and it wouldn't be difficult to shoot left handed! (2 years ago I did a 60 yard sitting left offhand shot to harvest a buck). Considering that I will have to learn to write left handed during that time, I could see spending time with air rifles getting more used to shooting lefty style!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Have metal in spine around neck, new hip and will be getting knee replaced after hunting season. I thank God for His healing, good surgeons and morphine galore! I have not been able to archery hunt for 3 years and this year I can but don’t feel like going. To much bother plus we just got a home raised steer butchered. Do not need any more meat for now.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master
    Scheduled for a new shoulder at the end of the year. After arthroscopic surgery to remove a few floaters in the knee, my knees are passible. Between torn ligaments on my wrist and this shoulder, I went to a crossbow. Excalibre. Fine recurve crossbow. I managed to make it through life with the zeal of a dumb kid (I really didn't grow up until 50). A bad parachute jump in my 20's set this whole deterioration in motion. Now in my 70's it's catching up to me. KBO per Winston Churchill.

Banned

no shoulder but both hips right ankle and right knee. had a heck of a time with the knee. it was giving me fits this spring and come to find out the knee cap came loose. they did surgery and recemented it. diring recovery it got worse and worse. they went in last month and pulled the whole thing out and replaced it. the revision surgery uses much longer spikes that anchor it to the bone. recovery from this one was a bit brutal. i always said the ankle was the worse and hips are a piece of cake but this one has me changing my mind. even the back fusion i had in june was a walk in the park compared to this latest knee thing. its just finally getting to the point i can take a step or two without crutches. by the way i held the longer revision knee in my hand and if i had to take a guess id say 3lbs. surely not 5. i too have a high tolerance for pain. probably due to the fact ive had crushed bones and a broken back and 22 surgerys. i know i havent used a single narcotic pill in the last 15 of them. personally id rather the pain then the crappy way they make me feel and the lack of crappy out the other end. by the way dad had his right shoulder done in the spring at 74 and was hunting with his 308 blr by nov.

Boolit Master

Just about every one I soot with has something replaced. I had a hip replaced at 65. The way they do it now it is just out patient surgery. Two of our group have had shoulder replacements and continue to shoot high power rifles. One is 67 and the other is 72.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Here is a lesson from the old folk's village-
    Don't wait!
    If the doctor decides you can't or won't do the fiscal therapy, you are out.

Boolit Grand Master

I lost the sight in my right dominant eye and just stopped shooting .
    While helping the Boy Scouts get their Shotgun Shooting badges , the man running the clay bird throwing machine ... Told me to take a few shots during a lull ... I said I could no longer shoot ... blind in right eye . He says "shoot left handed" I say what ??? I don't know how ... He puts my feet in the right stance , puts shotgun on my left shoulder and tells me to sight down the barrel , get the feel and call for a bird ... I did and I shot but didn't see the clay bird after the shot , "where it go ?" i asked ... He says "You smoked it " and after that I was back shooting ... it doesn't take long at all to learn leftie .
    My hardest thing is I carry the gun , while walking, in my right hand ... if I can mount the gun on my left shoulder then I'm good . I still like to carry on my right side but I'm learning new ways like with a sling ...a slung shotgun or rifle , on my left side is easier to get left shouldered quickly ... or maybe I got that backwards ...but I have trouble chewing gum and walking !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-22-2023 at 10:52 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	319119
    This is the reverse replacement I had on left shoulder in January. I was highly skeptical but a true believer now. Gotta do the PT though.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah....pt is where the pain threshold is beneficial. I have breezed through the therapy, and decided the exercises are going to be a permanent part of my routine! I'm kind of amused that I'm losing size, but not losing weight. I had not been maintaining my bottom half because of pain, so I'm currently rebuilding under used muscles.
    Last edited by fixit; 11-05-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Update on the knee recovery...I'm 7 weeks post op and returning to work tomorrow, and I'm excited to be becoming productive again. Temporary disability has not been fun...I've been getting half my normal pay, which I suppose is better than nothing, but still is tough. Oh yeah, my wife and I have been convalescencing at the same time....she had her foot operated on a week after I had my knee done, so we've both been recuperating at the same time.....yes, we're kinda crazy!

Boolit Master

So for those who’ve had hip replacement surgery,
    How long were you dealing with hip pain before you did the surgery?
    Did your hip problem develop over time or pretty fast?
    If fast, did a particular incident occur that triggered the pain?
    I’m asking because a few weeks ago I had to put an awkwardly sized, heavy item out for trash pickup one evening. It was a struggle that taxed me to the extreme. The next day I woke with a pain on the side of my left hip that improved a little but continues. Walking seems to alleviate it some. Bending and stooping remind me it’s there. I’ll be seeing my GP in a few weeks but thought I might get some insight from forum members.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had shoulder work, but reduced recoil tolerance is once reason I started shooting cast bullet loads in a few center fire rifles. I also shoot .22s more than I used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12