MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint replacements

Boolit Master

Joint replacements

As I post this I am recuperating from a knee replacement, doing well for any who wonder. At any rate, it appears I will be having the other knee, and a reverse replacement for my shoulder! At 62, I'm amazed at the things I did when young that I'm paying for now. All of this is to ask, does anyone have experience with shoulder replacements as members of the shooting community. I am concerned about the ability to continue shooting after recovery. In addition, I am an archer, but I already know that will take a long time to regain!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

I think you might be rather limited on high recoil rifles.
    I was at the range and got to talking to a guy there, and found out he was a Viet Nam Army vet.
    He was shooting an AR. I had among other things, the .45-70.

I told him if he'd gone into the Army in 1867 instead of 1967,
    he'd have qualified with this, and asked if he wanted to shoot it.
    He pulled his shirt collar down to show scars like you'd expect to see on the Frankenstein monster, and said,
    'I'd like to, but.. No,,, I can't do that any more'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I wasn't aware the .45-70 was around in 1867.

Boolit Master
    That's kinda what I was afraid of. I have a 45-70 that I will load way down if I want to shoot it, I suspect.......gettin' old ain't for sissies.....ugh!

Boolit Master

Don't know if you shoot much shotgun stuff but a 28 gauge is mighty easy on the shoulder.

gmsharps

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That was the first year Trapdoors hit the street.

The Army bought some in 1866, and the 5th version of it became standard issue in 1873.
    Neither of us knew the exact date when the Army bought it, but he got the general idea.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-19-2023 at 06:15 PM.

EVERYONE!

I had a buddy that as he got older, he had joint problems, and a couple new knees, but not a shoulder.
    He developed a new love for .22s and bought a couple of high end ones.
    He made the observation that as a kid, the most fun guns he ever shot were .22s, and they're pretty cheap to feed.

EVERYONE!

Yep, cadaver parts, total rotator tendon, some 180 # mono cross sutures, ala parachute riser style attachment, 2" off the collar bone to fit, with five stainless steel screws. Suggest you save a couple pain pills left for the first rehab session. After six months, my movement exceeded my non rebuilt shoulder, but, I doubled my rehab exercises after 60 days, stacked a lot of full cans and heavy plates in the cabinet, one handed, pulled and pushed a lot of rubber bands. Cutting your first peace of meat by yourself, is interesting, that will fix your need to pull a bow string or feel real recoil.

Suggest you get a 6mm AR-15 to hunt with. Forget the 45-70.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I have rotor cuff tears in both shoulders, Dr said that they happened so long ago that the muscle that gets reattached has atrophied till it doesn't exist anymore. He recommended total shoulder replacement; I looked it up on the internet and it scared me half to death. My daughter was once a physical therapist and told me that the reverse patients she worked on did way better than the conventional style. I have retired and work over my head has ended for me so i can get by without the surgery, for now. I would guess if it was on the bow arm it would be worse than you arm you pull with. My wife is a 5-time national champion archer and has he some work done on her bow arm shoulder. They took blood from her and centrifuged it and injected the stem cells into her shoulder joint. There are several types of this that don't use fetal stem cells. She has avoided surgery thus far for 5 or 6 years, check and see if you are a candidate for this. and maybe avoid the replacement. She got in a brawl at school and had her wrist shattered and is recuperating now. I think her stick flipping days are over.

Boolit Master
    The "reverse" shoulder joint replacement is nifty. My wife had it and it works great.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

There is a reason a bunch of old guys really get into .22s

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    It wasn't but the 50/70 was.

https://armyhistory.org/the-springfi...el-1873-rifle/
    the Model 1865 ord_2Springfield, known as “Allin’s Alteration” and later the “Needle Gun” for its long firing pin. The M1865 used a copper-cased cartridge which propelled a .58 caliber bullet with sixty grains of powder. Allin modified his design by lowering the caliber from .58 to .50 after a series of trials in 1866, resulting in the Model 1866. On the frontier, the M1866 performed admirably during several engagements with Indian warriors, and it gained a reputation as a dependable firearm. However, there were flaws in its design, most notably, the breech block tended to swing open when under pressure. Eager to correct this flaw, the Ordnance Department began a series of trials to find a suitable replacement to the M1866.

In 1873, the Ordnance Department adopted the Springfield No. 99 as the standard infantry weapon of the U.S. Army. Later designated the Springfield Model 1873 and nicknamed the “Springfield Trapdoor,” the rifle would serve the American military for the next twenty years. The rifle got its nickname from its breech-loading mechanism, which resembled a trapdoor. To load a round, a soldier had to open the latch and manually insert a single cartridge.

The M1873 had a 32 5/8-inch barrel and fired a new .45-70 cartridge.

https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts...oor-the-50-70/

https://armscollectors.com/trapdoor/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    As I post this I am recuperating from a knee replacement, doing well for any who wonder. At any rate, it appears I will be having the other knee, and a reverse replacement for my shoulder! At 62, I'm amazed at the things I did when young that I'm paying for now. All of this is to ask, does anyone have experience with shoulder replacements as members of the shooting community. I am concerned about the ability to continue shooting after recovery. In addition, I am an archer, but I already know that will take a long time to regain!
    Had lots of parts replaced; eyes; neck; back; had to learn to walk again; had to give up the recurve bow; took a long time before I could shoot anything with much recoil; could not hold up the gun; took a long time before I could hold up a pistol; went to an air gun, pistol / rifle; also shooting a .22 rim fire; now am able to shoot my 45/70 with lighter loads; can shoot a couple rounds out of my 45/70 bear gun, very heavy recoil; it all takes time; do not rush it; I did and it cost me time; YOU can also go to the other shoulder; will only take a few hours for you brain to acomate the change;

Boolit Master
    My wife had a reverse shoulder surgery in April did her exercises like the doctor said it works real well and no more pain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Yes I feel your pain! And I don’t mean figuratively! Let’s just say I got more metal in my body Than there is in a new Toyota! The good thing is I get great reception when I’m wired to a TV or a radio! I do tend to hide and don’t go outside during lightning storms though! LOL
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Looks like we have a few members that need to change their login name to 'Scrap Iron'.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    Stretch, stretch, stretch!!!!
    Take the pain.
    Don't baby it.
    A friend had one knee done, but to wimpy to stretch, so it didn't straighten.
    Had to go under and have it cracked.
    Doctor was not happy.
    Therapy again, and he didn't stretch it again.
    Doctor said it was his fault and refused to do the other leg.
    So friend walks around with one bent leg and on bad knee.
    The bent leg is causing his back to hurt.
    I'm guessing all the doctors talk to each other, because none of them would touch him.
    So for your own good stretch, stretch, stretch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    Don't know if you shoot much shotgun stuff but a 28 gauge is mighty easy on the shoulder.

gmsharps
    A 12 gauge with a 7/16 oz load is light on the shoulder as well.
    Match the shot weight from in 12 gauge to a 28 gauge and the 12 gauge will give a better pattern every time with lead shot. Recoil is a function of the weight of the shot, crimp, wad, and powder charge.
    Velocity being equal 7/16 of an ounce of shot in a 410, 28 gauge, 20 gauge, 16 gauge and 12 gauge will give the same recoil
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Looks like we have a few members that need to change their login name to 'Scrap Iron'.
    I have 14 pounds of titanium, 7 in each knee...
    The first Knee was in 2015 and was agony to get working for 6 months but worth the effort. Physio worked extremely well as I started intensive physio 2 months after surgery. Full movement took about 5 months to get to
    I am 7 months into the second knee, physio started a month after surgery. I think I started intensive physio too soon as the swelling is taking much longer to go down, there is still excessive pain. I had full range of movement by the time I got to physio - after physio started pain and swelling increased. I expect it may be up to a year to get to the point where i am not reminded I have an internal prosthetic knee when I put weight on it.

Also when I went for my first surgery neither leg was in any decent physical shape and I had to regain strength in the quads in both legs. When I had the second surgery the quads in both my legs were fairly strong as I had been exercising for the 3 years priot to surgery. I was told by the surgeon that he had extreme difficulty in getting the knee joint put together properly as he had difficulty overcoming the quad muscle that had contracted, even while under a spinal anesthetic. s
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    7 pounds of titanium per knee? That's a major replacement! Mine is more polymer than titanium, and 5 weeks out, I'm doing well! I have the advantage/curse of a high pain threshold, so therapy has been easy. I have realized that the exercises and stretching need to be a permanent part of my life. It's been funny....my belly has been getting smaller in recovery....but my weight hasn't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast