Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utilizing a fixed cylinder bore barrel to it’s greatest potential

im outta my lane here, my dad makes a load with the .715 or 7sumthings in a wad like that. Boy are they fun! like swatting the gong with a cannon ball. I think the 690s need the wad petals to fill the bore.

I just sub in a .662 Round Ball sitting atop a 1/4" thick felt wad, in a regular WAA12 Clone wad. AA hull. A Regular Trap Load.

The group shown was shot at a Front Sight Tactical Shotgun Class, Offhand at 50 yards with that same Round Ball Load in a Vang Comped Smooth Bore Barrel Mossberg 20" M 500.

You can do this too!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464871.JPG   100464735.jpg   100464676.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    You could try a 7mil/0.18mm thick mylar wrap. Overall diameter would be 0.704". This mylar is available as stencil sheets for Cricut machines and is available @ Walmart. Online you can find it in 10mil/0.25mm thickness and it is the same material as the mylar wraps you buy. I cut it with a rotary blade hobby paper shear to 58mm strips and then use an old photo cutting shear to cut it to height - usually 18-19mm to sit just below the 9 pellet 00 stack. It doesn't need to be more than 3-5mm above the middle of the round ball. For fun you can dunk it in graphite to really smooth things up.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    MP has .678 round ball molds. Gonna be over $100 to my door tho. Looks like this is the size mold for regular wads. I have the Lyman .735 but like the idea of using shot cups. Will use for smooth and rifled bores.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E05D25F0-3E80-4B49-93E7-AD84AF2AE31D.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	323864

Well I may be on to something. I got a 0.600” round ball mold after all the recent interest in the Dixie Tri-Ball load. I was curious and discovered a single ball fit into a Rex 24 wad nicely! Used some 3/4 ounce load data and broke in my new target at 40 yards. I found two wads and they looked good. Much better than wads from 0.690” round ball attempts!

My main bird gun is a 26" Damascuss barreled 12 gauge with cylinder bores.
    I have used it for everything from Chukkers to geese with black powder and appropriate the shot , with charges of anywhere from 7/8 oz of nickle 7's to 1 1/4 oz of lead 6's or #4 Bismuth
    David
    scopes and bags are cool, but palm rests 'n' irons RULE!

Boolit Master
    I like cylinder for simplicity. If you want a tighter pattern, shoot steel. Even tighter? Shoot tungsten.

People successfully hunt hare , red fox and lynx with tungsten / cylinder here in Finland.

I have a 18" cyl Benelli M3 Super 90. Good with MP fullbore RB and other fullbore slugs. 2,75 mm tungsten shot is VERY good up to 40 meters. It shoots like lead does from a 3/4 choke but kills further out there.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve never shot steel. I cut open some factory loads and salvaged the primers.
    Now on the other hand, tungsten seems fantastic! Too bad it’s so expensive! Great ballistic properties!!!

I saw a ewe tube video from “the shotgun scientists” channel. He cut an unslit nontoxic wad with rear slits like a flight control wad. That’s on the short list of things to try.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8BD76D82-36BF-4B95-823E-75330FD904D2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	324734https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQhVpKJZUQ

Here’s the video where he modified a CSD wad to mimic a flight control wad.
    Last edited by Barry54; 03-19-2024 at 07:27 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123