Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Vent Recommendation

Vent Recommendation

Hello Folks,

Contrary to the makers advice, I intend to install a vent liner in my Danny Caywood 62-caliber rifle. If you have experience in this, can you recommend a vent liner from this page? I'm only interested in the screw-slot type, as the barrel is pinned and I don't wish to remove it from the stock.

UPDATE:
    I took the rifle to the back yard and fired it, and it fires fast and reliably. So I've decided to take the maker's advice after all, and not install a vent liner.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 10-19-2023 at 03:38 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well, to do a good job, you MUST remove the barrel from the stock.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have never ,drilled Tapped and installed a flash hole liner with the barrel still in the stock.
    As far as selecting the proper vent liner.
    You just have to pick one that has the threads in the size you want.
    The last one I installed on my .75 cal. Blunderbuss is a 1/4 28 thread.

Reminds me, got some socket head set screws around here somewhere to drill holes in... maybe this winter.

I'd put in a white lightning liner. But if you do , Caywood will drive to your house and beat you up.

Boolit Master
    I agree that putting a flash hole liner is not really needed.
    That is until the flash hole gets larger from the flame cutting thru the steel over time.
    The flash hole liners are a particular size and the steel they are made out of seems harder and less resistant to rust.
    But if your flash hole burns out over time or lack of cleaning, Then you can always install a flash hole liner to improve your rifles function.
    On some rifles,
    The flash hole is at the end of the breech plug.
    On other models,
    The flash hole goes into the side of the breech plug.
    So when installing a flash hole liner you might be drilling and tapping into the breech plug.
    The same condition applies when you install a nipple drum to the side of the barrel.
    If the breech plug is drilled thru the side of the barrel , into the breech plug.
    You have to be very carefully if you ever have to pull out the breech plug and re install it.
    The flash hole or flashing hole has to line up Perfectly when everything is reassembled.
    Or you will plug the flash hole or cross the threads on the liner or nipple drum.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I agree that putting a flash hole liner is not really needed.
    That is until the flash hole gets larger from the flame cutting thru the steel over time.
    The flash hole liners are a particular size and the steel they are made out of seems harder and less resistant to rust.
    But if your flash hole burns out over time or lack of cleaning, Then you can always install a flash hole liner to improve your rifles function.
    On some rifles,
    The flash hole is at the end of the breech plug.
    On other models,
    The flash hole goes into the side of the breech plug.
    So when installing a flash hole liner you might be drilling and tapping into the breech plug.
    The same condition applies when you install a nipple drum to the side of the barrel.
    If the breech plug is drilled thru the side of the barrel , into the breech plug.
    You have to be very carefully if you ever have to pull out the breech plug and re install it.
    The flash hole or flashing hole has to line up Perfectly when everything is reassembled.
    Or you will plug the flash hole or cross the threads on the liner or nipple drum.
    I have seen a number of nipple drum capguns converted to flint
    1) they hacksawed the drum off level, D & T the powder channel for a touch hole liner - it works (kind of) ignition is dodgy and always slow ffffft...........bang
    2) remove the drum entirely and make a niced coned liner to fit the drum thread - chalk and cheese ! - lightning ignition ....when it eventually erodes too big - drill it out, retap the thread , go again .......any extra trouble involved in option 2 is handsomely rewarded every time you fire the gun. A coned liner puts the main charge right there 1/16" away from the pan charge . I would do the same with any flinter that has a straight touch hole drilled through the barrel wall (which is always gonna be 2 to 3 times (or more) thicker

A lot of blokes go to great lengths tuning a lock up only to mount it on a gun with a long skinny powder channel that they fuss around with a feather "stopping the vent" ....I dont get it .....not new to this, I started shooting a flintlock in competition in 1995.