Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car insurance

Boolit Master

car insurance

went to renew my policy and price increase just about floored me. a full 33 percent over what previous 6 months cost was. I went to the agency, Allstate
    for some answers. i have perfect driving record and have not had any claims. coverage didn't change and its the same vehicle with more miles on it now so it is worth less. they didn't have any logical explanation. a bunch of babble about maybe we can get you a little discount if you put our apps on your cell phone so we can monitor your driving habits. I had been with Allstate for 30+ years. any type of loyalty programs they had are gone, out the window. I'm shopping around and will probably go with State Farm. I dont mind paying g a little extra to have a reputable first class insurance company just in case it might be needed.
    has anyone else experienced huge increase in cost of insurance?

Boolit Master
    Local Farm Bureau has the best rates and best service.

no problems with State Farm with me - they give good discounts if you combine home owner + vehicule coverage -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Local Farm Bureau has the best rates and best service.
    I have been really happy with Farm Bureau.

Boolit Master
    Agree about State Farm. They insure 4 vehicles, the house, and the wife's ring. Rates have stayed low.

Boolit Master
    They are paying on all the losses from fires, floods, storms, you do not think they are going to cover all these losses; we are????

As the prices of repairs and the replacement cost of newer/totaled cars keeps going up--
    I seriously doubt if insurance premiums will go down.

In the old days, I didn't have a car. I had a Yamaha 650.
    Times change, fortunes improve, I traded it in for a new 750.

Changing over my insurance, the yearly premium went down a very noticeable amount.
    I asked the guy why. The 750 is newer, bigger, faster, and more expensive.

He told me, "We haven't had to buy very many of them".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had problems with Allstate in the past. Shop around and find a better company.

Boolit Master
    I have paid to operate and insure cars in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
    (and Alaska, Florida, lately in Arizona. Everybody has a different scheme to screw the public)
    You can only hope you never need to get your money back.

I admire the Mass. system for vehicles and boats: (Boats?)
    I am so old I remember when we invented "No Fault"!
    You go to your town hall on the month of your birthday.
    Clerk looks up your Blue Book value, you write a check for 7% to the town plus a fee.
    Take your receipt to your insurance company, write them two more checks
    one for them, one for the DMV
    When your check clears, the girl takes today's pile to the DMV
    Next day, pick up your plates at the insurance office.
    This is a good system because it funds the local town hall, graft and payola all covered,
    I never went to the DMV. I'm not even sure where it was.
    Mass. inspects cars, stickers are expensive.
    I bought a new Vandura 1976, was $4800 stripped van at the dealer.
    Built me a white van, white naugahyde, plush chairs, rolling boombox, ya know, '70's
    3 in the tree 350/quad, 2.11 rear end, ya one of those... engine seized at 100k.
    Cost me over $2000 Sales Tax Town tax insurance first year.
    Pipefitting paid well.

New Hampshire still has no compulsory insurance you are on your own.
    They call it Financial Responsibility, you might buy a bond, or be wealthy.
    Kids can run naked, and they do.
    For me, I hired State Farm to cover my traffic wagers.

Small town New Hampshire:
    On the month of your birthday you have to find the town clerk.
    My birthday is in July, Jean had the month off for vacation, office closed,
    so I had to track her down if she was in town, Jean was between
    the grocery store and beauty parlor or gone fishing. C'mon, I got a job.
    Find Jean at home some evening give her $100 cash, get a receipt.
    Spend next morning at the DMV 40 miles away for maybe $30.
    See if the old Toy will pass 32 point inspection. She never did. Rust finally totaled her, but she ran fine.
    Insurance for the four cars was a couple hundred dollars, and be sure to get uninsured motorist!
    Nobody with insurance ever hits anybody. We careful.
    If insurance is not compulsory, the insurance company is not compelled to insure you.
    You make a claim, get a point from speeding, miss a payment,
    you are cancelled to go in the drunk pool of un-insurables and teenagers.
    If nobody makes a claim insurance is cheap.
    I foolishly claimed uninsured motorist when a kid destroyed one of my Tercels.
    Tercel was sitting at a stop sign, Grand Am tore it into pieces nobody killed. Kids...
    State Farm jacked me $1000 a year for three years. They paid on the Tercel $2k.
    Wooda been cheaper to say a few words and just bury the old thing.

Arizona Allstate charges me $1200 a year for no coverage on three old cars.
    Pima county does not inspect cars, but the Sheriff will when he stops you.
    If I keep driving around here, I'm gonna get t-boned, they run red lights.
    Car culture is not sustainable.
    Re-elect nobody.

I'll tell you that I'll go without insurance than to ever pay for allstate insurance again. Back in the 1990s, had a home and cars insured by them. No wrecks, but had two claims in about 2 years. Theft of a mower, and lightning strike that got a computer, phone and some minor damage to the house. Both were under $3k. After they paid the lightning damage, they dropped me in a minute. No explanation, just letter in the mail. Too many claims in a short period of time.
    My current insurance company, Liberty Mutual, paid out $1800 on my old 2005 truck and $37,000 to replace roof and gutters from the same hail storm. Yep, went up about $1200 a year. It'll take them 20 years to break even. And I've still got coverage a year later.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I spent nine years working at an auto body shop and from our perspective there were two insurance companies we DIDN'T want to do claims for, Allstate and Progressive. State Farm was gold at least in those days, (we were a Blue Ribbon shop for them). I've had them for about 20 years and no complaints, only one minor claim when the wife hit and broke a local farmer's fence post avoiding a deer, (hit the deer! is my advice. insurance covers it completely with no hike in rates, avoid the deer and hit something else and your rates go up! Aim right for the deer!) I would have paid out of pocket, but this nut-job wanted the entire fence replaced, (post and wire). He handed me an estimate for almost $2,000. I told him my insurance would get hold of him. He ended up with $63. and change for the one post and staples.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

ALL of 'em will burn you if you stay with 'em. Shopping around every few years if you have a decent driving record will save you some bucks. Last time I changed, called the current agent to tell him I was canceling, he tried to get me to stay with him, would match my new (lower) rate . All that told me was they'd been robbing me for several years. Everything's going up, but still no reason to settle if you find a better deal.
    in re above - used to run what we called "$50 tags" on my first Harley . Paid the state 50 bucks into tye uninsured motorist pool to ride it . Figured if I was at fault I'd be dead anyway - Young and dumb but had fun !

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    An agent I had years ago told me if the car is paid off, just carry liability. Take the money you spend on premiums, and put it in an interest bearing account. I don't know if that would still hold true today.

If you belong to AAA, talk to one of their agents. They look for the best deal from multiple companies, and can usually find a good bundled package for auto and home.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    An agent I had years ago told me if the car is paid off, just carry liability. Take the money you spend on premiums, and put it in an interest bearing account. I don't know if that would still hold true today. .
    Depending on where you live, where & how much you drive, sure it does.
    Take a look at how much the premium is for full coverage vs. just liability.

Then the value of the vehicle, and how long it would take paying the extra premium to more or less buy it (from yourself).

Insurance coverage costs are all about your risk to the company.
    You can often chisel away at your premium by telling the agent you don't drive into, or work in a big city.
    You have more than one vehicle, but don't drive the 2nd one much-- this is good for RVs, antiques & collector cars.
    You are retired and don't go back & forth to a job.
    To them, the less you drive, and not in places with high claims, the lower of a risk you are to them for filing a claim.

EVERYONE!

I’ve had 2 claims in about 35 years and both times the other driver hit me. My rates went up about 30% too. I’m hot!!
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I’ve had 2 claims in about 35 years and both times the other driver hit me. My rates went up about 30% too. I’m hot!!
    Some of that increase is just from living in Dallas or Tarrant county.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    My dad had a house in NH and a house in FL.
    He kept the NH tags until he sold out of NH.
    He sold his big old RV when he found out how much it would cost to run in FL.
    FL insurance is a problem.

I change auto insurance companies on average of every 3 years. They ALL seem to hit you with a giant increase around the 2 1/2 -3 year mark so I start shopping and so far have always found at least a 15 - 20 % savings by changing companies.
    The funny thing is I have had all of the major insurances over and over, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive,Liberty Diberty,and many others.
    I about s- - t myself when I moved to MI from OH as insurance here is some of the highest in the country. BUT, I have found homeowners insurance to be rising at a faster rate than auto insurance.
    What the heck hasn’t gone up in the past 3 years !

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    Over here in England one of the guy's on one of the shooting forums that I converse with has 2 Range rovers an older one 5 years old and a newer one 1 year old the problem he lives in London .
    The older one went from £1890 a year to £1125 a month and the new one went straight from a supplied dealer insurance 1 year deal as part of purchase price to £38,000 a year for private insurance as they are the most stolen car in London.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy h View Post
    Over here in England one of the guy's on one of the shooting forums that I converse with has 2 Range rovers an older one 5 years old and a newer one 1 year old the problem he lives in London .
    The older one went from £1890 a year to £1125 a month and the new one went straight from a supplied dealer insurance 1 year deal as part of purchase price to £38,000 a year for private insurance as they are the most stolen car in London.
    Wow! I certainly won't be complaining about my $300 a month insurance for full coverage on 2 vehicles and 2 ATVs...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast